PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest 3 Performances in the Olympic

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

ChelleC
04-01-2011, 07:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu3s9aR079k

Tatiana Tarasova quote: today is great day for figure skating!

Yagudin!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I wonder if Scott Hamilton has ever listened to his commentary for this program, and been like "what was I thinking???" :lol:

SmallFairy
04-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Yagudin!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I wonder if Scott Hamilton has ever listened to his commentary for this program, and been like "what was I thinking???" :lol:

oh dear....I've actually never heard that commentary before! If I was Scott, I would dig myself deep down and never come back up. Conservative skating??? Two quads and triples all over the place?? "...if he's third, he's third, will it beat Timothy Goebel?" ha ha ha I think I'm cracking up :lol::lol:

Bad commentary can really ruin a moment, can it? I watched this performance live on SVT and they were crying with me! awww bless!!

(btw I'm really loving the direction of this thread, right:D)

Zokko!
04-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Many people would rank this one as the greatest of all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z79TMsYRnEcWould you please name that particular program? In my country the video isn't available, like many others as well, because of stupid (music/UMG) copyrights :mad::mad: ... thank you!

l'etoile
04-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Would you please name that particular program? In my country the video isn't available, like many others as well, because of stupid (music/UMG) copyrights :mad::mad: ... thank you!

It's John Curry's lp in Innsbruck in 1976

Rock2
04-01-2011, 08:33 PM
THE Best in all 4 disciplines, these all happen to be LPs:

Ladies: 2010 Yu-Na Kim (2nd - 1972 Janet Lynn)

Men: 1976 John Curry (2nd - 1988 Boitano)

Pairs: 1988 Gordeeva/Grinkov (2nd - 1968 Protopopovs)

Dance: 1984 Torvill/Dean (2nd - 2010 Virtue/Moir)

These are all excellent selections.
What makes it hard is to decide how you look at it. Does it need to be technically perfect? Does it need to be mezmerizing? Do you have to consider the context? An example of this last point is Kim. No question, greatest ladies skate ever under the most enormous amount of pressure. But if you didn't know the background and her situation, was it really #1?

So I'm going mostly by impact with a good (but not perfect) degree of technical.

Ladies: Baiul 1994 SP
Men: Curry 1976 LP
Pairs: Mishkuteniok/Dmitriev 1994 LP
Dance: Klimova/Ponomarkenko 1992 FD

floskate
04-01-2011, 09:10 PM
So I'm going mostly by impact with a good (but not perfect) degree of technical.

Ladies: Baiul 1994 SP
Men: Curry 1976 LP
Pairs: Mishkuteniok/Dmitriev 1994 LP
Dance: Klimova/Ponomarkenko 1992 FD

I'm really not sure what you mean by this post. What was not perfect technically about John Curry's skate? It was absolutely flawless!

jatale
04-01-2011, 09:30 PM
These are all excellent selections.
What makes it hard is to decide how you look at it. Does it need to be technically perfect? Does it need to be mezmerizing? Do you have to consider the context?

For me the answers are yes, yes, and no (the only relevant "context" is temporal since the technical aspects of skating continue to advance as the years go by).

All these lists are so subjective, however, as to be almost meaningless. I, for example, find John Curry's Insbrook performance to be very slow, boring, and somnolent.

Rock2
04-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm really not sure what you mean by this post. What was not perfect technically about John Curry's skate? It was absolutely flawless!

I was talking about the list as a whole, not each individual performance. Curry was perfect, but Baiul was not. The list, as a whole, is not made up of perfect skates.

Hope that clarifies.

blue_idealist
04-01-2011, 10:23 PM
The best ladies' one to me was Tara Lipinski's. Yu-Na's was technically perfect, but it lacked the joy that Tara's had.

For male gold medalists I would probably go with Brian Boitano's or Evan Lysacek's, but keep in mind I don't remember Yagudin's in much detail so if I were to I might choose that one instead. The Olympic mens' performance that moved me the most though was Elvis Stojko's in 1998, just because he was skating with so much pain - although I didn't know until after, so the emotional effect didn't happen until I was re-watching it.

Hmm, pairs.. I think Sale/Pelletier 2002 probably.

And dance, Virtue and Moir in 2010, closely followed by Anissina and Peizerat in 2002.

Rock2
04-01-2011, 10:34 PM
All these lists are so subjective, however, as to be almost meaningless. I, for example, find John Curry's Insbrook performance to be very slow, boring, and somnolent.

Understood. I think different things inspire each of us as we watch. Taste is so personal.
Top skaters of that era were not particularly speedy. Also, free skates were longer then so you had to pace yourself a bit. Still, I found this performance to be absolutely sublime; he hit the difficult triples of that era, spun in both directions, had wonderful and musical transitions and deployed field moves. Also his back, body line, extension and musical interpretation were all pretty much flawless. That might not bring you out of your seat, but it does for me.

His more modern contemporary would have been Galindo. Some similarities in that jumps, spins, body line where outstanding. Outside of the main elements, though, Galindo's complexity was painfully low, especially in footwork and transitions. He was not that quick around the ice either. Still -- and in part because of his known personal story -- his 96 nationals performance brought people out of their seats with tears in their eyes. I choked up, too...and I'm dead inside :P

duane
04-02-2011, 12:43 AM
The best ladies' one to me was Tara Lipinski's. Yu-Na's was technically perfect, but it lacked the joy that Tara's had.
I so agree! I don't think I've ever seen an Olympic performance (Oksana a close second) where the skater seemed to be having so much fun on the ice.

For the men, my favorite is Kulik's 1998 LP.

For pairs, definitely m&d's 94 LP (they were SOOOO robbed!!)

kwanfan1818
04-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Many people would rank this one as the greatest of all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z79TMsYRnEc
I'd be one of them.

robinhood
04-02-2011, 03:38 AM
I'd be one of them.

A very interesting fellow, this John Curry! Do u guys know of a good biography of him? I'm quite intrigued about his life

Vash01
04-02-2011, 04:28 AM
Only 3 best among 4 disciplines? That's a tough one.

Men- Have to go with Yagudin, although Kulik had a cleaner performance.

Ladies- Yu na Kim

Pairs- M&D 1994 (though not an OGM winner)

Ice dance- Tie between K&P and T&D

kwanfan1818
04-02-2011, 06:39 AM
To John Curry's 1976 Free Skate, I would add:

Berezhnaia/Sikharulidze 2002 Olympics SP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB2lyUWrEcE)

The greatest FS IMO was Gordeeva/Grinkov's 1988 Olympics FS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B0tSnQKzwo), but of all Olympics pairs programs, I think B/S's SP is the most exquisite.

Torvill and Dean's Bolero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAXTBiKwmgc) was extraordinary, but I think their greater performance was their Paso Doble OSP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imYwy_UOluU), where they kept up intensity and precision for the pattern and two repeats.