PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Sweet Valley Twins

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

SmallFairy
03-31-2011, 01:34 PM
oh I loved SVH!! and the Babysitters club too!! Here in Norway we never had the tv-series (at least I can't remember it), and definitely not the board game, but oh...those were good times! I was 11-12, and saw nothing but pure entertainment in those books. I read them again and again...

LuckyCharm
03-31-2011, 01:35 PM
I remember my cousin mailing me copies of the Sweet Valley High books when we were like 11 or 12. We thought we were big shots to be reading about these older girls who went on dates.

Too cute.:)

why would you want to be one of the twins when you could be Lila? :P

I know, right?????????????

Did the winner get a set of matching lavaliere necklaces to go their blue-green eyes? :P

:rofl:

I took the Babysitters Club prequal that came out last year out from the library. It was quite the flashback.

Ooooh...I didn't know about this. I might have to check it out. I still credit Stacy McGill for my love of math and Dawn Schafer for my obsession with dental hygiene.

ArtisticFan
03-31-2011, 01:38 PM
matching lavaliere necklaces to go their blue-green eyes? :P

I was fluent in English when I read the books, but still a little iffy on so many things about it. I remember not understanding what a lavaliere necklace was and trying to figure it out. For some reason my translation came out to rope, but I couldn't figure out why they would wear rope.

The blue-green eyes freaked me out too. I thought they each had one blue eye and one green. Between that and the Spider Fiat they drove (that I thought must look like a spider), I was lost at moments.

So you can imagine I was quite confused as to why everyone thought these girls were so pretty with their mismatched eyes and rope necklaces. Add them driving around in a car that looked like a spider and I had a strange view of what was cool in the US.

Stefanie
03-31-2011, 01:50 PM
I still have my VHS copies of The Babysitters Club short movies and I also have the VHS of the Babysitters Club feature film (with Sissy Spacek's daughter as Kristy).

I thank The Babysitters Club for my understanding of diabetes. (Because it was explained in every. single. book. it seemed.)

Stormy
03-31-2011, 02:26 PM
I've been waiting for YEARS for SV Confidential to come out. YEARS! It was a rumor for the longest time and I never thought it would actually be written, so when it was announced last year it was really coming out I was over the moon. I pre-ordered it from Amazon and got it yesterday and am halfway through it. It's.....interesting, that's for sure!

Stefanie
03-31-2011, 02:39 PM
I just placed a hold on this book at my library. I am 13th in line. :lol:

Stefanie
03-31-2011, 02:42 PM
It's.....interesting, that's for sure!

I was just looking at the reviews on Amazon, and they don't look good. Among other things, someone reported there are numerous typos throughout the book. :slinkaway

zaphyre14
03-31-2011, 02:46 PM
I think I still have the first 20-odd books from the series in my basement, courtesy of my god-daughter who thought they were The Best Literature Ever and gave them to me for safe-keeping when her mother threatened to throw them out if she refused to read anything else.

Veronika
03-31-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm holding myself back from buying the new book. :lol: I had the board game too.

I started reading SVH in 4th grade, and I probably stopped in 8th grade or so. I had a competition with one of my bookworm friends to see who could read more of the books, since they were past #40 when we started. My friend had an unfair advantage--she had 2 olders sisters who had a bunch of the books.

Ah, memories. :) I was also a big Babysitters Club fan too.

Skittl1321
03-31-2011, 03:22 PM
I wasn't nearly as big of a sweet valley fan as I was a BSC fan- but I might pick this up for nostalgia sake.

I remember reading books about the twins before they got to high school- Sweet Valley Junior high and Sweet Valley Twins. I liked those better because as a 1st and 2nd grader, I couldn't identify as much with the Sweet valley high books (though I definetly had a few)...

danceronice
03-31-2011, 03:31 PM
I read so many BSC books, and of course the Saddle Club (talk about whiplash seeing the TV version of that--it got moved to AUSTRALIA, for some weird reason--I get it was a Canada/Australia coproduction, but couldn't they have filmed in, I don't know, Canada?) Never really got into the SVH/SVT books, except one or two--there was one where Elizabeth took up horseback riding, and one where there was some girl who moved from middle-of-nowhere KY or something? (Might even be the same book.)

Habs
03-31-2011, 03:41 PM
I loved Sweet Valley Twins and Sweet Valley High! I still have most of my old books in my parents' basement. I had the board game too (I was always Lila... she was my favourite because she had brown hair like me :lol: ).

I have to confess, I did buy the new book but I haven't started it yet. How could I resist? :shuffle:

MacMadame
03-31-2011, 03:51 PM
I remember not understanding what a lavaliere necklace was and trying to figure it out.

Heck, I am US born and bred and I had to look up lavaliere in the dictionary to figure it out.

A Spider Fiat isn't a particularly popular car here either, especially with the HS set.

aka_gerbil
03-31-2011, 04:01 PM
I was always Enid, too.
And I loved The Babysitters Club! I stopped collecting/reading the books at number 90-something, but I also had all of the "Super Specials," etc. I even wrote to Ann M. Martin and she sent me a signed letter back. I was so excited.

I never read the Sweet Valley books, but I LOVED The Babysitters Club. I think I stopped reading somewhere in the lower 60's. I still have my VHS tapes with the short movies, too. I was also a card-carrying member of the BSC fan club.

I didn't know there was a prequel. I may have to read it...

Wyliefan
03-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Oh Lord, I remember when my sister was into SVH and Babysitters' Club. So goofy. :) I tried to read some of them, just because I was always poking around in her books, but I didn't get very far. Especially with SVH.