PDA

View Full Version : Here Snake...come to mamma!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

marbri
03-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Anyone want to visit the zoo today? :yikes:

Missing Cobra (http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/27/new.york.missing.cobra/index.html?hpt=T2)

:rofl: that they present the locked door as a way to calm people. I know if I were a snake escaping the first place I'd go is through the front door.

The Village Idiot
03-30-2011, 03:05 PM
More funny people:

http://gothamist.com/2011/03/30/will_live_mice_lure_the_bronx_zoos.php

NeilJLeonard
03-30-2011, 03:22 PM
I guess this puts the Bronx up there with the Everglades for snake phobia. I understand south Florida has a rash of boas or pythons-like hundreds of thousands. Makes an alligator look like a pet.
No. There was a short TV series on this last year. The survey, or whatever you want to call it, that was the feature of this show states that the population of these snakes, and the area that they have spread over, is overestimated by a huge amount. There may be a couple thousand pythons roaming the glades. Or not. The number that escaped from the warehouse that was destroyed during Hurricane Andrew are in the hundreds. They, and their progeny, are causing most of the problems. Many, especially the largest ones, died from the cold in the frigid winter we had last year.

This is not to say they are not there. They are. Mostly in the southernmost part of the state. As are some "pet" snakes that idiots have released because they can't take care of them. But the threat is much less than thought at first.

NJL

The Village Idiot
03-31-2011, 08:33 PM
The end. Allegedly.

http://gothamist.com/2011/03/31/missssssssssssssing_bronx_zoo_cobra.php

Rex
03-31-2011, 08:35 PM
So glad thissssssssss has come to an end. I've been positively rattled by all this venomous snake talk....

ChelleC
03-31-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm bummed. I was loving the tweets.

Wiery
03-31-2011, 10:20 PM
My best friend's husband actually works at the Bronx Zoo. He's an accountant and his building is nowhere near the reptile house. However, he is terrified of snakes. He has been wearing rubber boots to work ever since the cobra escaped. :lol:

I'm sure your friend will be happy to take his boots off!!! :rofl:

nubka
03-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Yea!! Snakey is home!!! :cool:

manleywoman
03-31-2011, 11:52 PM
Going to miss the tweets too but I'm glad the snake is home safe.

IceAlisa
04-01-2011, 06:41 AM
So glad thissssssssss has come to an end. I've been positively rattled by all this venomous snake talk....

Rex, are you behind the cobra tweets? :P

Rex
04-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Rex, are you behind the cobra tweets? :P

Nah, I'm too busy using other peoples' towels ;).

Lanie
04-01-2011, 12:44 PM
:rofl: Awesome.

rfisher
04-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Maybe the snake can continue to tweet from her solitary confinement. :) Although, it's really good she was found. NYC is not a good habitat for a reptile that doesn't have a hibernation den. If she'd managed to get out of the reptile house, she'd have died next winter.

Maximillian
04-01-2011, 02:53 PM
I have to admit I've always despised snakes and been utterly terrified of them, but this snake (tweets or no tweets) has really hit a soft spot with me. Ironic because she would kill me in the blink of an eye, but it's the first time I've ever felt anything other than revulsion and terror for a snake. Hope she's okay.

ChelleC
04-01-2011, 04:12 PM
The tweets are back!

Just regurgitated my iPhone. Oh, it's ssso on now. You'll never guess what's coming. #freethebronxzooscobra