PDA

View Full Version : SOICanada-Whom would you like to replace those going to Moscow?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

manhn
03-31-2011, 05:46 AM
If Mira goes to CSOI, I will buy a really cheap ticket. Or at least consider buying one.

victoriajh
03-31-2011, 05:53 AM
If Mira goes to CSOI, I will buy a really cheap ticket. Or at least consider buying one.

PLEASE tell me to LAOUGH out loud mahn!!!

quartz
03-31-2011, 01:58 PM
YES! I am kidding about Mira - one of the very very few skaters in the 40 years I have followed skating that I was just not able to find anything positive about - and I can generally find at least one thing about every skater that I can give kudos to.

Parsley Sage
03-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Mira Leung? no thanks..

Although, what about Lesley Hawker? I liked her.

I think Lesley is in Florida and has a young child.

euterpe
04-03-2011, 06:12 PM
As a general rule I prefer to see Canadian skater's, on the Canadian tour.

So for me personally, Sandhu, Paul & Islam, Anabelle & Cody, Lawrence & Sweigers, Balde, Shae, etc., would all trump available show or elligible skater's from USA for sure, esp the over exposed skater's like Cohen, Abbott, cuz as much as I admire these USA skater's, and others like them from other countries, quite frankly, I have already seen these types of skater's quite enough this season. On the other hand, would love to see Sandhu again, or see the new wave of Cdn Ice dancer's like Paul & Islam, or any of the recently retired, or up and comming Cdn teams, or for general public the ones who don't follow skating and decide to buy tickets based on titles, how about using the 2011 World Junior Men's Gold champion - Rogozine to sell some tickets?

My thoughts are Dube could replace Phaneuf on the tour while Phaneuf is in Moscow, Sandhu could step in for Sawyer, Paul & Islam could sub for Virtue & Moir... There are just so many fab Cdn skater's who are pro or who did not make the world team, and who do need the exposure and the cash. I would much prefer to see any of them, than our neighbor folks, like Wagner, Cohen and Abbott types ... Pro Euro, or Asian skater's, would be far more acceptable as subs, than any available Yanks, should they not want Cdn names suggested in this thread, as we don't get as much in person or TV show exposure to them. But CSOI should star or feature Cdn skater's, if at all possible. My 2 cents.

Did you know that on the US SOI I saw last night there were 4 Canadian skaters (Rochette, Browning and Sale/Pelletier), one Russian skater (Gordeeva) and 6 US skaters (Belbin/Agosto, Cohen, Eldredge, Weiss, Lysacek). The US audience (myself included) enjoyed the Canadian skaters just as much as the American ones.

I suspect that Canadian audiences (yourself excluded) would be just as receptive to the US skaters. I doubt that all Canadians are as rabidly anti-US as you are.

Debrah
04-03-2011, 07:50 PM
euterpe - Did you skip over the part where I said "as much as I admire these USA skater's" ....

I am not rabidly anti -US, not at all!

In fact, there are many, many USA skater's I adore, and applaud.

As a Canadian I have access to a lot of American TV channels, etc, and live close enough to places on SOI tour in USA (ex. Lake Placid) that I have been known to buy tickets and do both versions of the show. Do you?

Like me, lots of Canadian skate fans, who also live close enough to SOI border towns do actually go to BOTH versions, and some actually have to go see SOI exclusively cuz CSOI has limited number of tour stops in Canada! If one lives in or near Montreal area as I do, we don't even get CSOI here any more!

Thus many Canuck skating fans would definitely appreciate a more Canadian, or international flavor, in our CSOI version of the show, esp we Montreal's who have to travel to see it, or SOI, in another city far from our home base, as a lot of Canadian fans do, which is why some of us here in the great white north do see both versions of the show.

That's the only point I was making. not to mention there are far more opportunities for US skater's to earn money doing shows, TV etc, being a far bigger more affluent country with more Olympic type skating history to lure monied show producer's.

Canadian skater's, who are lesser known in international standards have only CSOI these lean skating days, to earn loonies, since the Knee whack has faded from consciousness and taken all the pro/am style skating opportunites, with it.

Sheesh, now even being pro Canadian skating on the Canadian tour is a crime?

euterpe, I too have enjoyed and cheered for the US skater's we Canadian fans also always see included in the cast of CSOI. I was talking about REPLACING the Canadian skater's who had to drop out with other Canadians who were not going to worlds, or failing that perhaps other non NA skater's we don't get to see as often, not replacing them with more Yanks, if at all possible. Sorry, if I offended your own yankee centric sensibilities.

euterpe
04-03-2011, 10:35 PM
A "Yankee" is a person from New England (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut). Most Americans are therefore NOT "Yanks", and some of us find it a disparaging term.

Scrufflet
04-04-2011, 12:22 AM
As a Canadian, I am pro-skate! I think some good points have been made. I would like to see those who have not had too much exposure get a chance in the limelight. It's actually a compliment to the U.S. as your skaters seem to get more exposure(my impression). U.S. must be doing something right;look at all the medals you've won over the years!
I've seen a lot of Stephen Cousins and Sasha; I would be happy to see some other skaters but I'm not anti-Brit or anti-American.
Whoever comes to SOIToronto, I'm going to be sitting with my friends in the front row(!) happy as a pig in doo-doo!

WildRose
04-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Just announced by CSOI: Tanith & Ben will replace Tessa & Scott on the first half of the CSOI tour & Scott & Tessa will join the tour in Winnipeg:
http://www.facebook.com/searsstarsonice/posts/137720846299587

Tanith & Ben will appear in the first half of the Tour visiting Halifax, Ottawa, Windsor, Toronto, Hamilton, and London. Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue will return to the Tour for the second half, visiting Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, and Vancouver.
Here's the full press release:
http://www.starsonice.ca/news-apr6.php
Kyoko Ina has also been added - presumably to replace Cynthia in the group numbers.

oakl0008
04-07-2011, 12:15 AM
I no longer see Phaneuf's picture on on the cast members page. It was there before. Is she no longer in the tour altogether due to Worlds??

quebecoise
04-19-2011, 12:08 AM
I no longer see Phaneuf's picture on on the cast members page. It was there before. Is she no longer in the tour altogether due to Worlds??

Cynthia had to cancel her participation to Stars On Ice because of Worlds.

À regret, Phaneuf a été forcée d'annuler sa participation à la tournée canadienne de Stars on Ice, son «bonbon» de fin d'année où elle peut patiner sans pression.
French article(cyberpresse) (http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/autres-sports/patinage-artistique/201104/18/01-4391089-la-tres-longue-saison-de-cynthia-phaneuf.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B9_sports_257_accue il_POS3)

kwanfan1818
04-19-2011, 06:25 AM
I thought she was scheduled for the whole tour. I wonder why she isn't doing the Western half, from the 5th in Winnipeg on.

Oh, crap, Kyoko Ina is on the list:
http://www.starsonice.ca/

tapper88
04-19-2011, 06:32 AM
Oh, crap, Kyoko Ina is on the list

I like Kyoko- she was enjoyable to watch on Battle of the Blades. She and her partner were cute together.

Sylvia
04-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Kurt Browning article: Still evolving as skater (http://thechronicleherald.ca/ArtsLife/1239143.html)

His second [Stars on Ice] solo is set to Downstream by Supertramp.

"It was an itch I needed to scratch. I only got figure skates when I was 10 or 11 and when I was 14 and first started doing solos, my sister was listening to it and I wanted to skate to it. I never lost that desire, and now, three decades later, I’m doing it."

The program is choreographed by Linda Garneau, a dancer he’d never met previously, who is on faculty at the Randolph Academy in Toronto.

"It’s soft and sombre and solemn," Browning muses, noting he now has more programs choreographed by dancers than by skaters.

quebecoise
04-19-2011, 02:18 PM
I thought she was scheduled for the whole tour. I wonder why she isn't doing the Western half, from the 5th in Winnipeg on.

Oh, crap, Kyoko Ina is on the list:
http://www.starsonice.ca/

I think Kyoko will be only there for group numbers because they need someone to replace Cynthia, so if you don't like Kyoko, you won't really see her in a sense.