PDA

View Full Version : SOICanada-Whom would you like to replace those going to Moscow?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

kppt
03-27-2011, 10:58 PM
I do hope they keep it Cdn in content. I agree that Eladj Balde would be awesome!! He's definitely a showman:) And I love the idea of Paige and Rudy - very entertaining and current:) Nam Nguyen and Andrei Rogozine would be draws as well, and gain some beneficial show experience. Now for dance, and the ladies...I much prefer watching Harvey/Gagnon not that they have the technical ability of Paul/Islam. And for ladies, I guess Lacoste, Najarro or even Adriana DeSanctis, although the Jessica Dube would at least be more well-known to audiences.

4rkidz
03-27-2011, 11:52 PM
These things usually take a little time. If this is true, I would imagine the Worlds entries list will be updated this week (maybe as early as tomorrow or Tuesday) once the official paperwork is submitted by Skate Canada.

Shawn's a great show skater and I'm happy to hear that he's capitalizing on his SOI tour opportunities.

me too.. I hope he does his mad hatter program that is amazing.. I will certainly be interested in going with Shawn being in it as unlike many of the other skaters he was born for shows - hope this is the first of many professional opportunities :respec:

Dragonlady
03-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Last year's Worlds, plus some skates from Canadians, and other current season competitions. They showed S&S doing their Pink Panther program, and V&M at 4CC. There were also new interviews and fluff pieces on some of the skaters - Chan, Moore-Towers & Moscovitch.

And PJ quoted 4rKidz (among others).

Lara
03-28-2011, 02:22 AM
I'm bummed Shawn won't be at Worlds, but 1) I won't have to stress about his placement and 2) I can understand him earning a good salary for the tour and (very important) establishing himself there being more worthwhile at this point.

Best of luck to him in the future - wish I could see one of the dates live!

The Accordion
03-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Awww Shawn - but I can also understand his decision! It makes me even that much more grateful to have seen his wonderful skates at Nationals!

Teenes
03-28-2011, 05:57 AM
Yes, exactly - he was on tour right when the original Worlds was scheduled so was he added into the cast for these stops at the last moment due to World's cancellation or was he committed to SOI US tour and NOT scheduled to be a commentator on CBC? Without checking, I think it is the latter so the same thing applies to the Canadian tour now that things have shifted back a month, imho.

I'm a little behind. Kurt was always committed to do the entire US tour. They were trying to work out ways to make him part of the Worlds broadcast - he traveled to Colorado Springs to interview Patrick Chan, Ryan Bradley, etc, for segments that I think were originally supposed to air during the Worlds broadcast but two of which are now up on the CBC site. He was going to call in some analysis, etc. But he was never going to go to Tokyo. Now that Worlds overlaps the Canadian tour, I imagine his involvement in the CBC broadcast will be much the same, except since he'll be in Canada nearer the CBC studios for a good chunk of it, my guess is that he will have greater involvement now.. But he's still going to do the whole Canadian tour.

professordeb
03-28-2011, 02:17 PM
So ... if Shawn doesn't do worlds, who takes his place? Our third place finisher at Canadians?

Proustable
03-28-2011, 02:23 PM
So ... if Shawn doesn't do worlds, who takes his place? Our third place finisher at Canadians?

Canada has three spots, so third place (Joey Russell) was already going. It'll be fourth (Reynolds) who gets the spot.

Not sure how I feel about that.

kittyjake5
03-28-2011, 03:50 PM
If Shawn bows out of Worlds I will be surprised but not shocked. If it is true good news for Kevin R.

professordeb
03-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Canada has three spots, so third place (Joey Russell) was already going. It'll be fourth (Reynolds) who gets the spot.

DUH!!! Why didn't I remember that we have three spots? I'm fine with Kevin going. I think he has just as good a chance of doing well/OK as Shawn & Joey.

Regardless of what Shawn chooses to do, I say good on him. I'll miss not seeing him compete at Worlds but am firmly behind him in whatever he chooses to do. Go Bendy!

nyrak
03-28-2011, 06:52 PM

I wonder if Kevin's been training since 4CC? Good opportunity for him regardless....

I wish Shawn was going to Worlds, but I respect his choice....nationals was so great for him, I doubt he'll ever replicate those 2 programs he put down there, might as well go out on top. I'm looking forward to seeing him on SOI.

Habs
03-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Gang it's true, Shawn is retiring from competitive skating and focusing his attentions on his professional career! I have mixed emotions about this decision because I've loved watching him skate competitively for so long, buuuuut that being said, he is an amazing performer and will do great on the professional circuit for shows etc.

With all due respect, I'm going to wait for an official announcement from Shawn and/or Skate Canada before I believe that he won't be going to Worlds.

Skate Talker
03-28-2011, 08:09 PM
I wonder if Kevin's been training since 4CC? Good opportunity for him regardless....

He ought to have still been training since he was first alternate all along and as Jeremy Barrett can attest, the need for a substitute that can step in isn't over until the competition starts or the deadline for changes is passed. Training all this time for something that is perhaps unlikely is not a lot of fun but it is certainly a great motivator for improving so as not to be put in that position again in the future, imho.

WildRose
03-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Official announcement from Skate Canada:

In the menís category, 2011 Canadian silver medalist Shawn Sawyer, 26, Edmundston, N.B., has decided to tour with Stars on Ice this spring. World team member from 2010, Kevin Reynolds, 20, Coquitlam, B.C. will now join two-time silver world medalist and four-time Canadian Champion Patrick Chan, 20, Toronto, Ont., and Joey Russell, 22, Labrador City, N.L., in the menís competition.
http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni%5B2797%5D/754/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Habs
03-29-2011, 08:26 PM
And from CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/story/2011/03/29/sp-worlds-canada-lacoste-reynolds.html

Amelie Lacoste is replacing Myriane Samson, who is injured.