PDA

View Full Version : Need A New TV Series To Love

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

rjblue
03-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Dollhouse. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135300/)

They knew the second season was their last, so they completed the story arc. The acting in the series- especially from Fran Kranz and Enver Gjokaj - is very very good. It's my favourite science fiction series ever. (No aliens, just a future/alternate earth)

Artemis@BC
03-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Ooo, thanks for the info. Is he playing the monster?

From what I've been able to gather, Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller are alternating the roles of Doctor Frankenstein and the Creature. I believe that Cumberbatch was the Doctor in the performance that was filmed and broadcast in the movie theatres, but I won't know for sure until I see it on Thursday night. :) (It aired in Canada on Mar 24, with an encore on Thurs. the 31st. at select Cineplex lotations.) BTW, another reason to see this production if you can: it was directed by Danny Boyle.

Sherlock ... If you like to save up and watch episodes all at once, though, you may want to wait until there's another season, since as previously mentioned there's only 3 episodes in each.

Another good reason to wait if you can: season 1 ended on a cliffhanger!

(BTW, Cumberbatch had a brief role in a film I saw this weekend: Four Lions. It's a satire about suicide bombers. Hilarious and brilliant, but probably not for everyone.)

sk8sue
03-29-2011, 12:25 AM
Another good reason to wait if you can: season 1 ended on a cliffhanger!

Yes, that thought was in the back of my mind, too.:cool:

Thanks for that other information re Benedict. I've enjoyed him in Atonement and Amazing Grace since first discovering him in Sherlock. Also, Starter for 10 was on tv one day, but on a french channel, so I couldn't hear his lovely voice.

Speaking of Jonny Lee Miller, another good show that ended too soon was Eli Stone, a victim of what I'll call coming-on-after-LOST syndrome.
I figure that after LOST everybody ran off to think about/discuss the latest revelations or just ask somebody else what the heck just happened:lol:, so nobody stuck around to watch the next show, so there was a new follow-up show every few months, with the previous one having been cancelled.

I caught enough of Eli Stone to be intrigued, so I just started recording it and watching it later. It's a law show with fantasy elements and some on-going drama between the regular characters. Due to an aneurysm Eli has guiding visions which usually(always?) include musical numbers. It also has the great Victor Garber in it and he sings. It has two 13-episode seasons.

Bunny Hop
03-29-2011, 05:23 AM
If you are/become a Paul Gross fan then you must really try to find the made for TV movie Getting Married in Buffalo Jump (CBC I think). He was soooo hot in that your screen will melt for sure :o. It was also a really cute story.You're not wrong. He's very easy on the eyes in that film. Also try 'Wilby Wonderful' - another quirky story. He's not quite so cute in it, but it's a good film (why yes, I do have a shelf full of Paul Gross DVDs, why do you ask?).

Bostonfan
03-29-2011, 12:37 PM
I completely missed the first season of Life, but really enjoyed the second season. Is there somewhere I can find the first season? Damian Lewis is :swoon: .

It still drives me nuts that Life was cancelled!!!!! :mad:

Nothing new to add except another shout-out for the West Wing.

Artemis@BC
03-29-2011, 05:13 PM
You're not wrong. He's very easy on the eyes in that film. Also try 'Wilby Wonderful' - another quirky story. He's not quite so cute in it, but it's a good film (why yes, I do have a shelf full of Paul Gross DVDs, why do you ask?).

Have you seen Gunless yet? Even with long hair and covered with, well, let's just say dirt ... he's still :swoon:

BigB08822
03-30-2011, 05:15 AM
The first season with the second cast was decent. Their 2nd season (season 4)...not so much. But the first season of the 3rd cast just finished and I really enjoyed that.

I surprisingly fell right in love with the new group of kids. I don't like them as much as the original group but a few of them I like more than some/most of the original. I really like Pandora and J.J. I must have a thing for the outcasts and oddballs because I loved Cassie and Sketch the most from the first group. That isn't typical of me but they write those characters so very well and pick amazing actors/actresses to play them, IMO. The episode focusing on J.J. in volume 3 was the best of all the series (so far), very touching with the classical music playing throughout almost the entire episode. I could do without Freddie and it is a shame they try to make him out to be the lead male. He is pretty useless.

Artemis@BC
04-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Another one I don't think has been mentioned yet: Sportsnight -- a dramedy about a cable sports program. Aaron Sorkin writing at his best, and a fabulous cast including Josh Charles, Peter Krause, Felicity Huffman, and Robert Guillaume. It only lasted 2 seasons (Sorkin pulled the plug willingly to concentrate on The West Wing, I believe), but that means you can get both seasons in a single boxed set. I'm someone who doesn't give a toss about professional team sports ... and I still loved this show.

(BTW, Frankenstein last night was amazing. Wish I could have seen it live.)