PDA

View Full Version : Need A New TV Series To Love

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

JumpinBug
03-26-2011, 04:29 AM
If you say Profiler, I have to throw in Pretender as well. :)

HeatherC
03-26-2011, 04:43 AM
Throwing another vote to Alias. I loved that show although I try to forget the parts of the later seasons when Syd lost two years of her life and Vaughn was like a pod man instead of the awesome, hot man he started off as on the show, LOL :lol:

AliasJohnDoe
03-26-2011, 09:49 PM
I would rent "most" any series that was made for HBO and Showtime that you don't see on regular TV. They are the shows that get many of the nominations during awards season.

It's better to see them in their uncut versions: True Blood, US's of Tara, Nurse Jackie, Dexter, Sex and The City, Rome, The Soprano's, The Tudors, Six Feet Under....and many more. One show that was canceled by HBO too soon that I loved....Lisa Kudrow's "The Comeback".

Don't forget about new series like Shameless and Episodes....I love them both.

Starz has some new shows starting, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Tinami Amori
03-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Help guys! I'm looking for a new (old) show to rent on DVD. I've done SATC, X-Files, Ugly Betty, Nip/Tuck, all the Law & Orders. What do you suggest?

New
- Sherlock
- Mad Men
- Curb your Enthusiasm

Old (these are very popular and are still running in USA on PBS, but in case you did not know of themů).
- Fawlty Towers
- Are you Being Served
- Keeping Up Appearances
- Doc Martin

museksk8r
03-27-2011, 02:14 AM
Dexter
Six Feet Under
Desperate Housewives
Arrested Development
Pushing Daisies
Wonderfalls
True Blood
Joan of Arcadia
Freaks and Geeks
Reba
Life As We Know It
Everwood
Dawson's Creek
Torchwood
Dead Like Me
My So Called Life
The Closer
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
Queer As Folk
CSI
CSI: Miami
Without A Trace

Wyliefan
03-27-2011, 02:26 AM
I forgot Leverage. Good "heist"-type show on TNT.

John 3 17
03-27-2011, 02:49 AM
As Time Goes By
Coach
Burn Notice

-Bridget

jeffisjeff
03-27-2011, 05:48 AM
I'd add 24 to the growing list. I only watched the last 3 seasons, but I've heard great things about the earlier seasons. I've been meaning to go back and watch from the start.

I've seen all the 24 episodes / seasons. I'd definitely start with season 1. The concept may get tired after awhile, but until it does it is :kickass:. And it'd probably be pretty cool to watch it more in "real time," as opposed to one hour per week. :lol:

I liked Sherlock, a modern take on the Sherlock Holmes story.

Sherlock is really good. But far to few episodes. :drama:

Not a series, but a six-part mini-series I saw on BBC America and then watched again from Netflix: Luther. Terrific detective/crime story. Each episode covers a different crime, but there's a continuing back story. I loved it.

I watched Luther on BBCA recently. So good! And Idris Elba is :swoon: . Are they filming any more episodes?

And if you enjoyed The X-Files, definitely check out Fringe. It is amazing; especially in seasons 2 and 3 --season 3 is airing now, though, so you may have to wait to catch up!

I loved The X Files, and enjoy Fringe, but the latter has issues with the quality of the acting by the two leads. That said, I really like the premise and the current season's bouncing back and forth between the two universes.

Life (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0874936/)

I completely missed the first season of Life, but really enjoyed the second season. Is there somewhere I can find the first season? Damian Lewis is :swoon: .

Bunny Hop
03-27-2011, 07:26 AM
~ Slings and Arrows -- about a fictional theatre town (based on Stratford no doubt). Centres around the reluctant theatre director, played by the always delicious Paul Gross; more quirky humour; lots of art vs. commerce stuff. Oh, and a ghost. 3 6-episode seasons, each one centring around the production of a different play: 1=Hamlet, 2=The Scottish Play, 3=Lear.:cheer2: Slings and Arrows is brilliant, and everyone who likes quirky programmes should go and watch it immediately. And if you do end up :swoon: over Paul Gross (be still my beating heart), then you should definitely also try Due South. It's a buddy cop show about a Canadian Mountie from the Northwest Territories who ends up working in Chicago and solving crimes with a Chicago Detective. With his wolf.

gkelly
03-27-2011, 12:29 PM
I loved Slings and Arrows but was indifferent to Due South.

Sometimes what grabs one person leaves another person cold.

By all means keep trying different suggestions and enjoy the ones you enjoy.

I've given up on most US broadcast shows. I might try a couple new ones each year and maybe stick with one. I prefer renting the HBO/Showtime ones, even if that does leave me a year behind on some that are still running. Many are the years that I've watched more skating broadcasts than acted shows.

museksk8r
03-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Agh, how could I EVER forget about Drop Dead Diva?! I LOVE that show! Seasons 1 & 2 have aired on Lifetime and the 1st Season was released to DVD last year. It's seriously one of the best tv series EVAH and definitely worthy of more viewers! You won't be disappointed! :cheer2::encore:

Verbalgirl77
03-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Based on your tastes, check out:

The Wire
Fringe
Misfits (if you can track it down)
Friday Night Lights
Dexter
Mad Men
Sherlock
The Good Wife

Only The Wire and Friday Night Lights are now off the air.

Skate Talker
03-27-2011, 03:31 PM
:cheer2: Slings and Arrows is brilliant, and everyone who likes quirky programmes should go and watch it immediately. And if you do end up :swoon: over Paul Gross (be still my beating heart), then you should definitely also try Due South. It's a buddy cop show about a Canadian Mountie from the Northwest Territories who ends up working in Chicago and solving crimes with a Chicago Detective. With his wolf.

I was gifted the Slings and Arrows box set but haven't watched it yet. I loved Due South. If you are/become a Paul Gross fan then you must really try to find the made for TV movie Getting Married in Buffalo Jump (CBC I think). He was soooo hot in that your screen will melt for sure :o. It was also a really cute story.

star_gazer11
03-28-2011, 12:23 AM
I completely missed the first season of Life, but really enjoyed the second season. Is there somewhere I can find the first season? Damian Lewis is :swoon: .

Hulu, netflix, the usual suspects? Agreed, Damian Lewis was :kickass:. Also check your PMs.

Grannyfan
03-28-2011, 01:30 AM
I watched Luther on BBCA recently. So good! And Idris Elba is :swoon: . Are they filming any more episodes?

I read that BBC will air two new two-hour episodes of Luther sometime this year. The same site reported that there will be three new 90 minute Sherlock episodes also.

Idris Elba was great; I don't remember seeing him in anything before Luther. Ruth Wilson was a revelation as such an evil character. I remember seeing her in one of the many TV versions of Jane Eyre. Talk about a switch!