PDA

View Full Version : Need A New TV Series To Love

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

BittyBug
03-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Shows that are over:
The Wire (http://www.slate.com/id/2149566/)The best show on television, ever. Incredibly intense.

And since you like Law & Order, I would recommend another series by David Simon - Homicide, Life on the Street (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106028/).

luenatic
03-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Torchwood
Doctor Who
Firefly
Dresden Files

Can you tell I like Sci-fi?

RubyLaRhumba
03-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Oh lots of possibilities here! I LOVED My So Called Life when it originally aired & still can't believe it lasted only a season. I've been contemplating Twin Peaks. Any of you that like the Law & Order type thing- I'd strongly suggest Southland. It started on NBC for only a season or so and was kicked over to cable. The writer in me loves the grittiness of it.

BaileyCatts
03-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Third Watch!! But only Season 1-2 of six seasons are available at this time. My most favorite show EVER. I don't know why the hell they can't get the rest of the seasons out.

talulabell
03-24-2011, 08:05 PM
I'd add 24 to the growing list. I only watched the last 3 seasons, but I've heard great things about the earlier seasons. I've been meaning to go back and watch from the start.

SandraMGfan
03-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Keeping with the British theme, I suggest a sitcom: Gavin and Stacey. Hilarious.
It has 3 seasons and a Christmas Special.

lmarie086
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Some have already been mentioned so I apologize for repeats, but here's my list!

LOST
The Tudors
Rome
Vampire Diaries
Firefly
Fringe (I haven't seen it, but I keep hearing it's AMAZING so I'm renting it over the summer!)
Dexter
Merlin

Also, for anyone that loved the Tudors don't forget that the Borgias should be starting before too long IIRC.

Artemis@BC
03-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Also, for anyone that loved the Tudors don't forget that the Borgias should be starting before too long IIRC.

Apr 3. At least that's the premiere date in Canada (on Bravo), probably the same for Showtime in the US.

I'm actually hoping it will be a lot better than The Tutors ... :slinkaway:

manhn
03-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Lost! Also, Friends, ER, Dallas, Dynasty and thirtysomething.

John 3 17
03-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Psych. It's the only current show I watch. Laugh my head off everytime I see Shawn and Gus (no matter how many times I've seen the episode).

Other favorites would be:
Fawlty Towers
Perfect Strangers
Monk

And for really classic, The Dick Van Dyke Show & I admit to loving all the black & white episodes of The Andy Griffith Show

-Bridget

Jenny
03-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Lost! Also, Friends, ER, Dallas, Dynasty and thirtysomething.

ooo thirtysomething! Haven't seen that since it originally aired - does it hold up? The DVDs on Amazon ain't cheap.

manhn
03-24-2011, 10:27 PM
The first 3 seaons of 30something are sold at HMV for 20 bucks per set (at least at the downtown location). The fourth and final season is $40 but it should go down eventually.

And I think it's still great. Love the acting and writing, and makes me emotional. And the extras are fantastic!

Jenny
03-24-2011, 10:33 PM
This thread reminded me of another show I loved back in the day - Knots Landing. It used to be repeated twice a week here (US and Canadian airings) and it was so good I'd watch it both times. A friend and I used to call each other during commercials - no hellos, just straight to OMG!

I caught a couple of episodes on one of the soap channels a few years back, and was sucked right in again. Sadly, only the first two of 14 seasons are on DVD, and it's really the middle seasons that are the best.

Wyliefan
03-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Third Watch!! But only Season 1-2 of six seasons are available at this time. My most favorite show EVER. I don't know why the hell they can't get the rest of the seasons out.

Same thing with Early Edition. And I loved the third season (even though Kristy Swanson was a pain in the butt). :(

Beefcake
03-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Flight of the Conchords
Arrested Development :lol:
:kickass: Yes! And judging by what you list in your opening post, I agree with the suggestion of Dead Like Me. Along those lines, I also suggest these other short-lived - woefully underappreciated - series ...

Action (Naughty-before-its-time Jay Mohr/Illeana Douglas comedy about the dog-eat-dog life in the television industry)

Deadwood (best writing ever for a drama ... but don't go there is your ears cannot take continual cussing or your eyes continual violence)

Better Off Ted (cool love child of Allie McBeal and Just Shoot Me, with a tour de force Portia De Rossi)