PDA

View Full Version : Spring Movie Thread (April to June 2011)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11

Japanfan
06-10-2011, 07:58 AM
ME!! :cheer2: :cheer:
And he directed, wrote and produced The New World (starring Colin Farrell, Christian Bale, Christopher Plummer and David Thewlis) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zLPM8FLMtk), which seemed to get a lot of criticism, but I loved.

I loved it too. So much that after seeing it once (on video), I immediately watched it all over again.

I understand the criticism from Indigenous people - many were upset that the lead character was Portugese. But Malick approached the story from a mythic standpoint, rather than within the Indigenous context. And he pulled it off brilliantly.

The scene where the two main characters were sitting in a field learning each other's language was breathtaking and I'll never forget it - an example of the rare beauty that is so unique to Malick (i.e. the vistas of the plains in Days of Heaven). And the ending of the film completely blew me away.

Malick also produced The Beautiful Country (starring Nick Nolte and Tim Roth) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTpw52G3XTg)...which I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED!!! :cheer2:

Thanks. I must see that.

lmarie086
06-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Just saw X-Men last night. Best movie I've seen so far this year. Absolutely loved it.

Satellitegirl
06-10-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm going to see Super 8 this weekend. I'd like to see X-Men as well...but Super 8 looks different from what has been released lately, so I'm more interested in that one first.

BigB08822
06-10-2011, 10:14 PM
I want to go see Super 8 this weekend but don't want to fight the huge crowds. I will probably wait until next weekend and go to a matinee. I feel like I have been waiting for this movie for a VERY long time. Well, I guess I have, probably 2 years or so. I remember when people found it on IMDB and thought it was a Cloverfield sequel.

Cachoo
06-11-2011, 03:28 AM
Just saw Super 8...no spoilers...liked it very much as I do love a good summer action flick that is as concerned with developed characters as it is with action. And good gawd: How many good Fanning actresses are there? Sheesh!

BigB08822
06-11-2011, 03:51 AM
I heard Super 8 was getting good reviews and part of that was because the character development is handled quite well. Sounds like a win win for those who like more than just action.

Vash01
06-11-2011, 05:37 AM
I saw 'Tree of life' today, with very high expectations. It was a horrible disappointment. May be I just don't like Terence Mallick's movies. I remember The Thin Red Line which was almost as boring, but 'Tree' was much worse. In the first part of the movie they wasted about 20-25 minutes showing just sci-fi effects........just visuals; no characters, no dialogue. If I wanted to see those, I would see the comic books movies mentioned here. The plot is complex, and very hard to understand. In the end I put it together somewhat. The movie moves non-sequentially, and those movies really irritate me. I don't mind flashbacks as long as I know they are flashbacks. Another annoying thing was gimmicky cinematography, especially in the first part of the movie. It would have been a much better movie if they had cut about 30 minutes of it.

Why was Sean Penn in this movie as a cameo? Any average actor could have done that role.

The saving grace was the music. Alexandre Desplat's score was very good. He also composed for the King's speech. When I could not stand the movie, I just listened to the music.

However, this movie has an 8.0 on IMDB. I am sure critics will love it. The movie is about relationships between Jack the main character and his family. If they had just focused on that, and left out the sci fi stuff, it may have been a pretty good movie. I still don't like the non-sequential story telling, and the end was too contrived- JMO.

ETA:: Years later I saw the Thin Red Line on DVD and actually enjoyed it. That could happen with this movie, but I would still fast forward through about 25-30 minutes of it.

BigB08822
06-11-2011, 06:08 AM
I've never wanted to see Tree of Life. From the previews it looks like one of those movies that is trying to hard to be high art. Artsy just for the sake of being artsy.

Satellitegirl
06-11-2011, 09:38 PM
From what I've heard about the Tree of Life...it's more about where it takes you, rather than what you literally see....if that makes any sense. It sounds like it's supposed to be thought provoking. I guess if you don't happen to hop on the right train of thought, you won't enjoy it lol.

Just saw Super 8...that was fantastic!! I loved it. Must see for the summer.

Saw the Harry Potter trailer, and got chills. I don't want it to end. :(

Saw the Twilight Breaking Dawn trailer...and while I want to see it because I've seen the others, I was embarrassed for the type of storyline it's going to have lol. There will be many scenes parodied I'm sure.

BigB08822
06-11-2011, 10:16 PM
My bf wants to go see Super 8 this evening but I don't think I can stomach seeing it opening weekend. I absolutely hate going to the movies because of the other people. I always sit near the girl who has to check her cell phone constantly or the people who give running commentary. If I go when the movie theater is less crowded there is always the couple who also want the same row I am in AND to be as close to the middle so they sit next to us without even leaving a space in between. There are literally 100 empty seats and you have to sit right next to me and share an arm rest!? I love the movies but I hate the people. :lol:

PeterG
06-11-2011, 10:59 PM
If I go when the movie theater is less crowded there is always the couple who also want the same row I am in AND to be as close to the middle so they sit next to us without even leaving a space in between. There are literally 100 empty seats and you have to sit right next to me and share an arm rest!? I love the movies but I hate the people. :lol:

This is a great opportunity to have some fun! You just gotta beat them at their own game. Turn to that stranger sitting next to you, lean in (much closer than that !) and laugh as loudly as you feel comfortable. Then bellow out something like, "isn't that the funniest thing you've ever seen"?

Don't let the fact that the previews have not yet begun. Repeat with variations on this, leaning in closer and closer each time. It is so much fun to out-freak the freaks. Unfortunately, they will eventually move far away from you. If they don't, continue as above! Have fun and report back!!! :D

BigB08822
06-12-2011, 02:32 AM
LOL, Peter!

We ended up going and the movie (Super 8) is GREAT! I can safely recommend this one.

We got lucky and didn't have any annoying people near us. A family with about 3 or 4 really young kids was sitting next to us but they were well behaved. I started to tell the parents as we were leaving but I thought I might be over stepping my boundaries.

Buzz
06-12-2011, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the thumbs up Brian and I will go see Super 8 tomorrow hopefully! :cheer2:

Vash01
06-13-2011, 06:55 AM
From what I've heard about the Tree of Life...it's more about where it takes you, rather than what you literally see....if that makes any sense. It sounds like it's supposed to be thought provoking. I guess if you don't happen to hop on the right train of thought, you won't enjoy it lol.

Just saw Super 8...that was fantastic!! I loved it. Must see for the summer.

Saw the Harry Potter trailer, and got chills. I don't want it to end. :(

Saw the Twilight Breaking Dawn trailer...and while I want to see it because I've seen the others, I was embarrassed for the type of storyline it's going to have lol. There will be many scenes parodied I'm sure.

I did not feel that Tree of Life was thought provoking. It was just a story of a boy and his very strict father in the 1950's. There was one very long interruption by special effects. May be people who are devout Christians (I don't mean to offend anyone here) were moved by it but others were not? I did not feel that it gave any deep meaningful spiritual message. Forgiveness, afterlife (the end scene at the beach) are not exactly novel ideas. The creativity was in the way it was presented, and it did not appeal to me, although in patches the movie was good. In patches it was beautiful- visually and the music, but it just did not touch me the way it was supposed to. BTW Brad Pitt may have given the best performance of his career in this.

As an antidote to what's considered an extremely artistic movie (usually I like art films; this one was an exception) I went to see 'Thor' today. Definitely enjoyed it more, but the special effects once again were overwhelming. So I had the same complaint about two very different movies - LOL, Chris Hemsworth is very good looking. I had not expected that from watching the trailer. There were some humorous moments too.

I am hoping to see 'Beautiful boy' next weekend, and may be Midnight in Paris (still reluctant to see it because of Owen Wilson). May be I should not see Super 8 since I don't like excessive special effects, but I do like Spielberg.

Satellitegirl
06-13-2011, 02:12 PM
I really enjoyed Thor as well. Loved the actor who played him. Very Heath Ledger-esque.