PDA

View Full Version : Spring Movie Thread (April to June 2011)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11

oleada
05-24-2011, 05:18 AM
I saw Bridesmaids tonight and nearly peed my pants laughing. It was very, very funny. I had no idea Kristen Wiig was one of the writers of the script! I like her much better off SNL. Melissa McCarthy really stole the show.

PeterG
05-25-2011, 10:54 PM
I just saw the best movie that I've seen in...years! I can't remember the last movie I saw that I was so riveted to...touching the pause button was not an option, no matter how much I needed to use the bathroom! :lol:

RENT THIS MOVIE IMMEDIATELY!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Yyhxq56Xg)

I also really liked Invictus with Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon (written and directed by Clint Eastwood). Another perfectly made movie. And I don't like sports movies, but this was so well done. I stayed up last night much later than I normally do just so I could see how it ended! :lol:

skateycat
05-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Another two thumbs up for Bridesmaids from me and my mother-in-law. We laughed so hard we cried!

I also liked Invictus.

skateycat
05-26-2011, 12:04 AM
Oh and having seen Cars eleventy billion five hundred eighty nine thousand times, common sense dictates that the skateycat family will be attending the Cars 2 premiere.

Beefcake
05-26-2011, 12:09 AM
I just saw the best movie that I've seen in...years! I can't remember the last movie I saw that I was so riveted to...touching the pause button was not an option, no matter how much I needed to use the bathroom! :lol:

NO! :scream:

I couldn't get through 25 seconds of that promo! A jump from my 7th floor office here would be preferable to being in that character's situation.

:yikes: Just. No.

Not even for 20 short minutes and with :grope: Ryan Reynolds in there with me! :drama:

BigB08822
05-26-2011, 04:19 AM

Peter! You had me so excited to click on that link. I've seen that movie and while it was OK it was nothing like you describe. lol I liked the ending a lot, though, while my bf was throwing the remote at the television.

PeterG
05-26-2011, 07:28 AM
I stand behind "Buried" as an excellent movie. Even though we don't get to ogle Reynold's long, buff bod!! :swoon:

Watched "Up In The Air" and "Jennifer's Body" tonight and enjoyed both. Things I had both made me put them on my "maybe" list when both should have been on my "must-see" list.

Up In The Air was described to me as being really depressing about an unsympathetic jerk. While I can see where someone could feel that way about this movie, it's not how I saw it. Clooney played a lost soul who throughout the movie learned various things on how to live a better life for himself. And Anna Kendrick had an incredible/funny movie moment in the middle of the film that is worth seeing the film for that one scene only! :lol:

I can only guess Jennifer's Body was looked down on because of Megan Fox's outspoken-ness. The movie had a good plot, well directed, the acting was good and the writing was decent (it would have been great if screenwriter Diablo Cody hadn't used such an identical tone to that of "Juno"). I remember reading Cody talking about Jennifer's Body as if it was a flop. But according to the-numbers.com, it cost 16 mil to make, made that amount both in the USA and worldwide and then took in 5 mil in DVD rentals. Not a blockbuster, but it was a money-maker. I recommend it! :D

BigB08822
05-26-2011, 07:40 AM
I watched Mary and Max tonight. SO CUTE! I never watch these claymation movies but was bored and didn't have anything in my Netflix queue so I went for it. So glad I did. Give it a try if you haven't seen it. There are so many hidden jokes both in the dialogue and in the scenes. It was funny and touching at the same time and has a nice message.

Buzz
05-29-2011, 03:25 PM
I find it telling that four out of the top ten movies at friday's box office including the top three movies are all sequels.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

Artemis@BC
05-30-2011, 10:32 PM
I saw two on the airplane on the way home last week that I highly recommend.

One was I Love You Phillip Morris. I like Jim Carrey when he's not doing his rubber-faced schtick characters, and this was a really good role for him. Plus Ewan McGregor, who I'd watch reading the phone book. Avail. now on DVD.

The other was Barney's Version. This was my favourite Mordechai Richler book, so I would have been very ticked off if they'd screwed it up. They didn't. When I originally heard that Paul Giamatti was cast as Barney, I was a little ticked that they couldn't find a Canadian actor ... but Giamatti was absolutely perfect for this part, I can't imagine anyone better. Out on DVD at the end of June.

BigB08822
05-30-2011, 10:36 PM
I saw I Love You Phillip Morris and liked it as well. It is based off a true story but not sure how loosely based it is.

BigB08822
05-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Went and saw Bridesmaids. It is hilarious. Maybe a little long in some parts. If you like SNL you would love this.

orbitz
05-31-2011, 11:21 PM
I find it telling that four out of the top ten movies at friday's box office including the top three movies are all sequels.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

I don't get the popularity of The Hangover at all. I didn't think the first one matched the hype that it got. I'm sure there will be a HO III :scream:.

Finally saw Thor over the weekend. It was a good, fun summer movie. Looking forward to X-Men this Friday.

PrincessLeppard
06-01-2011, 04:06 AM
I saw the new Pirates movie, and thought it was decent. Certainly better than the third one. :scream:

orbitz
06-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Anyone has plan to see X-Men this weekend? I think it's going to be huge. 89% approval on RottenTomatoes.