PDA

View Full Version : Spring Movie Thread (April to June 2011)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

BigB08822
06-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Super 8 was still great! If you like that type of movie, Allen, you will like Super 8.

Allen
06-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Super 8 was still great! If you like that type of movie, Allen, you will like Super 8.

I generally don't go for the blockbuster supernatural/sci-fi thrillers. I'd heard so many good things about Super 8 that I was thinking about giving it a chance. I'm not thinking that way anymore.

Vash01
06-25-2011, 07:38 PM
I don't normally like these special effects/thriller type movies, but I saw Super 8 because Steven Spielberg is a great story teller and he did not disappoint. There was not one moment of boredom in this movie. There was suspense, twists, emotions, and good acting- and a story about kids. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

Allen, you should definitely give it a try.

Spoiler (sort of)-

When the credits started rolling after the movie ended (sort of) many people left the theater. I always sit through the credits so I was one of the lucky ones that got to watch the movie created by the kids.

orbitz
06-25-2011, 11:40 PM
I don't normally like these special effects/thriller type movies, but I saw Super 8 because Steven Spielberg is a great story teller and he did not disappoint.

Steven Spielberg is only a producer of Super 8. He also produced Transformer 2, so having his name attached to a film doesn't necessarily equate to quality. I haven't seen S8 though, but it sounds like J.J. Abrahams did a decent job of it.

BigB08822
06-26-2011, 12:35 AM
J.J. Abrams! Are you not a fan of the greatest show on earth, LOST? :lol:

Cupid
06-26-2011, 03:51 AM
Saw Super 8 and hated it. I tuned out after a while and didn't know what was going on, but knew that I was totally unimpressed and couldn't believe the papers gave it 4 stars.

Vash01
06-26-2011, 04:59 AM
Steven Spielberg is only a producer of Super 8. He also produced Transformer 2, so having his name attached to a film doesn't necessarily equate to quality. I haven't seen S8 though, but it sounds like J.J. Abrahams did a decent job of it.

I may have gone to the movie for the wrong reason, but I still enjoyed it. It's entertaining. I do like serious, thought provoking movies too, but it's nice to get away from reality once in a while.

Vash01
06-26-2011, 11:21 PM
I just saw 'Beautiful boy', but why is this movie labeled 2010 when it comes to our theaters for the first time in June 2011? I am baffled.

Some spoilers ahead............

It's a thought provoking movie. It is sad but not hopeless. I liked the understatedness of the mass shooting (they never show it), which is a big plus because the tendency today is to show as much blood, flesh, gore as possible.Here you see none. The movie is about the parents trying to cope with the sorrow, trying to find answers and sort of finding each other in the end, though it's one of those open ended movies where you don't know whether they will get back together or not. The acting by the two main characters (Maria Bello and Michael Sheen) is very good. I hope Maria Bello gets an Oscar nomination. However, I noticed that the movie came out in 2010, which means it won't be considered for 2011. It came to the only art theater in this huge metropolis (it truly is; I am not being sarcastic) in June 2011, which is pathetic. Why is it so hard to see meaningful movies like this in regular theaters? If you like serious drama, this is a movie for you. It is dark and emotional but not depressing.

Artemis@BC
06-27-2011, 06:49 PM
I just saw 'Beautiful boy', but why is this movie labeled 2010 when it comes to our theaters for the first time in June 2011? I am baffled.

Because it premiered at a few film festivals last year, including TIFF, but is only getting a wider release now.