PDA

View Full Version : Spring Movie Thread (April to June 2011)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

Mozart
06-15-2011, 01:40 AM
I just saw Super 8. It was great. Make sure you say for the credits. They show the film they were making

Buzz
06-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Saw Super 8 and liked it a lot but there is a itsy bitsy part towards that had me going "eh?".

BigB08822
06-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Saw Super 8 and liked it a lot but there is a itsy bitsy part towards that had me going "eh?".

Which part? Put it in spoiler tags...

Buzz
06-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Which part? Put it in spoiler tags...

Well the part where the monster is really good and did not kill anyone just "stored" them away and of course the girl gets saved. Hero kid talked down the monster. And a derailed train that apparently had no one on it?! But never mind me I was just being nit-picky.

BigB08822
06-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Well the part where the monster is really good and did not kill anyone just "stored" them away and of course the girl gets saved. Hero kid talked down the monster. And a derailed train that apparently had no one on it?! But never mind me I was just being nit-picky.

The monster did kill some people. He was eating those that he had stored away. They were his food rations. There is a very short scene where the kids see the alien grabbing a person down and you hear chomping noises and kind of see a leg that looks disconnected from a body, but no gore. As for the alien letting the kid go, well they mention how the alien makes a connection when he touches you so I suppose we are supposed to know the alien knew he meant no harm and was only trying to rescue a friend. Also, the alien was done with his building so it made more sense for him to get the heck out of dodge than it did to spend time killing 3 kids. As for the train, well, it was a train carrying specific cargo. I don't know about where you live but the only trains I see around here are cargo trains and they don't have any passengers on them. Now, SOMEONE would have been on the train running the darn thing and I assume that is what you meant but I have no answer for that, haha

orbitz
06-16-2011, 12:28 AM
Greenlantern only has 20% approval on RT so far. Ouch. It looks like the majority of the critics will hate it. Have to see if the fan boys will still line up for it this weekend.

Artemis@BC
06-17-2011, 05:19 PM
^ Well, my 18-yr-old nephew who is very much a DC universe kinda guy said it was "freakin' amazing!" That's good enough for me!

Buzz
06-17-2011, 05:49 PM
I will check it out later today hopefully.

PDilemma
06-17-2011, 06:07 PM
The monster did kill some people. He was eating those that he had stored away. They were his food rations. There is a very short scene where the kids see the alien grabbing a person down and you hear chomping noises and kind of see a leg that looks disconnected from a body, but no gore. As for the alien letting the kid go, well they mention how the alien makes a connection when he touches you so I suppose we are supposed to know the alien knew he meant no harm and was only trying to rescue a friend. Also, the alien was done with his building so it made more sense for him to get the heck out of dodge than it did to spend time killing 3 kids. As for the train, well, it was a train carrying specific cargo. I don't know about where you live but the only trains I see around here are cargo trains and they don't have any passengers on them. Now, SOMEONE would have been on the train running the darn thing and I assume that is what you meant but I have no answer for that, haha

My brother works for Union Pacific. There are at least 3-4 people on every train. The train derailment bothered me because it was way too spectacular in terms of fire, explosions, etc...and because they totally disregarded that trains do not run themselves. I liked the movie well enougn but didn't think it was great. But this is not and never has been my kind of movie. My husband who loved ET, Jaws and all the rest thought it was amazing.

BigB08822
06-17-2011, 06:14 PM
I do agree about the explosion of the train. It was just ridiculous. You would think the thing was carrying nuclear bombs the way it completely exploded and cars began flying. In actuality the train would have run straight into that truck and would have knocked the truck off the track and kept on its way.

Satellitegirl
06-17-2011, 07:38 PM
This is why it's a movie, and not reality.

PDilemma
06-18-2011, 07:55 PM
This is why it's a movie, and not reality.

I don't disagree, but in this case it was so overdone it was confusing. I was expecting to find out the train was carrying weapons or other explosives. And knowing my brother is driving a freight train every night, I'm not incredibly fond of watching trains derail, let alone explode.

Allen
06-18-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm glad I read this discussion of Super 8, because I was thinking about going to see it and now I know for sure that I wouldn't like it.

BigB08822
06-18-2011, 08:14 PM
It really was over the top, even for a movie.

I thought of another question while drifting off to sleep:

Why in the hell didn't the alien go ahead and get all of those rubick cube thingies? They were everywhere and obviously the alien is able to make them come together whenever he wants. Hmm..

Also, the alien pounded his way out of the train car. It crashed but was intact. Wouldn't it have been able to pound its way out even before the crash? If it could bust out a train car then I think it could have gotten out of any restraints.

PDilemma
06-18-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm glad I read this discussion of Super 8, because I was thinking about going to see it and now I know for sure that I wouldn't like it.

My husband and the couple we went with all loved it. It's just really not my kind of movie. We watched The King's Speech from Netflix the next night at home, and I thought it was fabulous and my husband fell asleep. We so don't have the same taste in movies.

I didn't dislike Super 8. But I didn't love it, either. It was entertaining for an evening at the theater.