PDA

View Full Version : Singer Loleatta Holloway has died

VALuvsMKwan
03-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Many of you may not know this lady, but Marky Mark sampled her extensively in his hit "Good Vibrations", and she was in the video.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/23/loleatta.holloway.obit/index.html?hpt=Sbin#

I learned about her from drag queens in Richmond in the late '70s/early '80s tearing down the house to "I May Not Be There When You Want Me (But I'm Right on Time)". :respec:

Rex, you old enough to remember Miss Loleatta?

Spinner
03-24-2011, 02:29 AM
Many of you may not know this lady, but Marky Mark sampled her extensively in his hit "Good Vibrations", and she was in the video.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/23/loleatta.holloway.obit/index.html?hpt=Sbin#

I learned about her from drag queens in Richmond in the late '70s/early '80s tearing down the house to "I May Not Be There When You Want Me (But I'm Right on Time)". :respec:

I remember her. Didn't she also sing for Black Box?

VALuvsMKwan
03-24-2011, 02:38 AM
I remember her. Didn't she also sing for Black Box?

No, Spinner -that was Martha Wash of Two Tons of Fun aka The Weather Girls ("It's Raining Men"). Both divas much beloved of drag entertainers and gay boys of a certain age everywhere.

You don't have to turn in the toaster oven - you're just too young to remember each of them in their disco heyday, unlike myself. :)

Spinner
03-24-2011, 02:43 AM
No, Spinner -that was Martha Wash of Two Tons of Fun aka The Weather Girls ("It's Raining Men"). Both divas much beloved of drag entertainers and gay boys of a certain age everywhere.

You don't have to turn in the toaster oven - you're just too young to remember each of them in their disco heyday, unlike myself. :)

But she did actually sing "Ride On Time" from their Dreamland CD ;) That CD was on heavy rotation for me in 90-91 :D

And yes, I know who Martha Wash is too. I'm not too old for "It's Rainin' Men" :P I get to keep the toaster.

VALuvsMKwan
03-24-2011, 02:53 AM
But she did actually sing "Ride On Time" from their Dreamland CD ;) That CD was on heavy rotation for me in 90-91 :D

And yes, I know who Martha Wash is too. I'm not too old for "It's Rainin' Men" :P I get to keep the toaster.

I thought Martha did "Ride on Time" too, but I am sure in retrospect that you must be correct. What age were you then, 12? :eek:

BTW, I didn't think you were too OLD for "IRM" - on the contrary...

Spinner
03-24-2011, 02:57 AM
I thought Martha did "Ride on Time" too, but I am sure in retrospect that you must be correct. What age were you then, 12? :eek:

BTW, I didn't think you were too OLD for "IRM" - on the contrary...My real age is shown below my username. I was 18 in 1990 ;) And if you get to listen to the original version from the CD, it's clearly Loleatta. There was some controversy over this, much like the "Everybody Dance Now" kafuffle with C&C Music Factory.

Rex
03-24-2011, 02:58 AM

Yes I am! She also sang this: First version of "Runaway". (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmO0NBlzNxs)
My divas are all dropping like flies. :fragile:.

shah
03-24-2011, 07:35 PM
:wuzrobbed:fragile:
2 Great Ladies in 2 days (a Diva of screen and a Disco House Diva) is much too much for me :(...

PeterG
03-24-2011, 11:39 PM
I downloaded a bunch of Loleatta Holloway songs a few years back, but never listened to them much. On hearing the news of her death, I listened to samples of her song at amazon to see what stood out.

Unforunately, I don't think she ever got material that was worthy of her. Not sure if she was not good at picking quality songs, or if she was manipulated by producers and managers who told her what to sing. It's such a shame that there is not better material left behind by such an amazing talent... :wuzrobbed