PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Taylor has Passed Away RIP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

skatemomaz
03-24-2011, 10:51 PM
I've got three words for you: Eleanor of Aquitaine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDbfOFBxmEI). If The Lion in Winter isn't a case of performance overshadowing personality, I don't know what is.

ITA, one of my all time favorite movies and Kate was fantastic. I would say Guess Who's Coming to Dinner is one where her personality shone through, but I think it was still a tour de force performance.

duane
03-24-2011, 11:03 PM
As for that list, I really don't know why Hepburn is #1. But that is JMHO.
IMHO, the list is ridiculous! Such a list without Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor in the top-5? (I would have them as the top-2, with MM on top. But I LOVE me some MM!). And, no Gloria Swanson, Betty Grable or Lana Turner on the list?? Puh-lease!

pollyanna
03-24-2011, 11:53 PM
On GMA this morning, they showed film of a Barbara Walters interview with Dame Elizabeth. There was a short video summary of Taylor's husbands (and a fascinating summary of her jewels), and then Barbara asked Elizabeth about her relationship with Richard Burton. Ms. Taylor talked about the intense passion between them, and how they always needed to be touching each other. Barbara asked Elizabeth if Richard was the love of her life. Elizabeth paused and then said, "Mike and Richard were the loves of my life." It was so touching :wuzrobbed

AragornElessar
03-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Speaking of her jewels...

Is it true she put in her will that on her death, the Prince of Wales feathers diamond brooch she bought through the Duchess of Windsor's Auction was to go to Charles?

I *know* I read that somewhere, but it's been such a long time ago, I don't remember where I read that.

IceAlisa
03-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Yahoo is doing an article on Elizabeth Taylor's legendary eye color: http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/now/shes-got-elizabeth-taylor-eyes/59

I never did get it: all the pictures of her show a deep blue, a lovely vivid deep blue but not a hint of violet.

What gives? :confused:

duane
03-25-2011, 01:00 AM
I never did get it: all the pictures of her show a deep blue, a lovely vivid deep blue but not a hint of violet.

Ok, so it's not just me!

IceAlisa
03-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Ok, so it's not just me!

I am just hoping there is an FSUer who'd met her in person and can testify. Or knows someone who'd met her. :P

escaflowne9282
03-25-2011, 04:03 AM
Yahoo is doing an article on Elizabeth Taylor's legendary eye color: http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/now/shes-got-elizabeth-taylor-eyes/59

I'd say it's more of an indigo color than an out and out blue or purple, they look gorgeous in this photo...

http://iamyouasheisme.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/violet-eyes-et.jpg

dbell1
03-25-2011, 04:07 AM
I watched the Biography special on her tonight. What really struck me was her kindness to everyone. Her fierce devotion to friends. Her love of family. Her tireless crusading for AIDS victims when the rest of the world shunned them. A true Dame in every sense of the word and a beautiful woman inside and out.

skateboy
03-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Westboro Baptist will be picketing at the funeral...:mad:

Westboro (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/under-god/post/westboro-baptist-church-to-picket-elizabeth-taylors-funeral/2011/03/24/ABxQgJPB_blog.html?hpid=z2)

How incredibly Christian of them... :rolleyes:

RIP, Ms. Taylor.

VALuvsMKwan
03-25-2011, 07:24 AM
I've got three words for you: Eleanor of Aquitaine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDbfOFBxmEI). If The Lion in Winter isn't a case of performance overshadowing personality, I don't know what is.

Such a wonderful performance, but perhaps even better is Miss Hepburn's performance as Mary Tyrone in Eugene O'Neill's "Long Day's Journey into Night". She was a very different person from the character of a Irish Catholic schoolgirl who marries a charismatic young stage actor and becomes a dope addict in the years after the birth of their 2 sons and her husband's constant touring in his warhorse signature role, which he chooses for income rather than fulfilling his promise to be a fine Shakespearean artist.

This is not "Requiem for a Dream" slammed in your face (LDJIN was filmed in the very early 1960's), but far more subtle and no less horrifying.

ETA: I cannot believe I forgot Doris Day on the list of Golden Age stars still with us. Tie in to Ms. Taylor: in the movie "The Mirror Crack'd", her character, attempting to make a return to film after WWII and a tragedy in her life, stares into a mirror and intones "Bags, bags, go away - come again on Doris Day!". :rofl:

Vash01
03-25-2011, 07:46 AM
This is huge. I heard the news on my car radio the day she passed. Awesome beauty, personality, talent, and humanitarian too. RIP Elizabeth. She will be missed.

I am trying to remember which ones of her movies I have seen-

Cleopatra
Cat on a hot tin roof
Giant

I am sure I will remember more later.

Got to rent 'Butterfield 8' and 'Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf?'

ArtisticFan
03-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf was on TCM at 2 am. I got it on my DVR for the rainy weekend they are predicting here in Atlanta.

Rex
03-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Such a wonderful performance, but perhaps even better is Miss Hepburn's performance as Mary Tyrone in Eugene O'Neill's "Long Day's Journey into Night". She was a very different person from the character of a Irish Catholic schoolgirl who marries a charismatic young stage actor and becomes a dope addict in the years after the birth of their 2 sons and her husband's constant touring in his warhorse signature role, which he chooses for income rather than fulfilling his promise to be a fine Shakespearean artist.
I think Summertime was her best performance, and least mannered.

Spiralgraph
03-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Elizabeth Taylor's funeral was already held so the Westboro Baptist Church thugs can't disrupt the service.

I know it's not considered a great movie but I loved Cleopatra. She looked so vibrant in that movie. And I won't forget Elizabeth's brief role as Helena Cassidine in "General Hospital."

RIP Miss Taylor, you are unforgettable.