PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Taylor has Passed Away RIP

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

victorskid
03-23-2011, 03:30 PM
When asked by Barbara Walters in 1999 what she would like on her tombstone, she initially responded: "Here lies Liz; she lived" but then she went on to say that she hated to be called Liz and it should read: "Here lies Elizabeth; she hated to be called Liz; but she lived". She certainly did!

Beefcake
03-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Rest in peace, Dame Elizabeth Taylor. The title of one of the bios* on the lady was spot-on - she was The Last Star of the golden age.

Wow, her movie credits are a bounty of classics! In film, her most vivid performances/scenes for me were in "CoaHTR" (nobody will ever match her Maggie); and two films in which she shared billing with her great (and equally as :swoon: beautiful) friend Montgomery Clift -- "Suddenly Last Summer" and "A Place in the Sun".

Even into the 1990s (remember this White Diamonds perfume campaign? (pzrservices.typepad.com/vintageadvertising/images/2008/10/28/1991_liz_taylor_ad.jpg)), Liz was "star" beautiful.

Perhaps just as impacting as her film legend, I'll forever :respec: the woman for her tireless work, mostly in the 1990s, in HIV/AIDS awareness and fundraising. Taylor was everywhere during this timespan, lovingly speaking about the friends she'd lost to the disease and the younger generation who needed more education and hope. And emphatically urging US/world leaders (and us all) that "the time is now" to raise money and awareness toward prevention ... and a cure. Liz raised millions of dollars for the cause, but more importantly gave the cause an emormous champion.

*Well, it was from the hack author Kitty Kelley, and contained her usual falsehoods, but at least the title was appropriate.

Eden
03-23-2011, 03:55 PM
RIP, you beautiful star :(

Andrushka
03-23-2011, 04:00 PM
I loved so many of her movies.RIP

genevieve
03-23-2011, 04:03 PM
was so saddened to wake up to this news. Beefy said everything I wanted to say about her. Will plan a Liz Taylor movie marathon this weekend.

Jubak
03-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Funny, I was just wondering about that the other day in the checkout line, looking at all the tabloids and their death-watch headlines for any older celeb with a cold. For some reason I remembered her and wondered how she was doing.

I honestly did the same thing just a couple of days ago. The photo of her w/an oxygen cannula in her nose just looked awful. She battled so many medical problems. May she rest in peace. She can be remember also for all the great work she did for AIDs causes.

gingercrush
03-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Guess Maggie the Cat isn't alive no more :(

ChelleC
03-23-2011, 04:14 PM
My favorite Elizabeth Taylor movie is "Elephant Walk" in 1954 with a young Peter Finch

I had forgotten about that one. Wonderful movie.

Moka-Ananas
03-23-2011, 04:43 PM
I loved her in "The Taming of the Shrew" which is one of my favorite movies. She was perfect.

RIP Elizabeth :(
Please take care of Michael in Heaven and say "Hi" to Richard!

You'll never be forgotten!

masofs
03-23-2011, 04:57 PM
:wuzrobbed

RIP Dame Elizabeth Taylor.

4rkidz
03-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Such a beautiful woman inside and out, she was one of the first major stars to come out and support the AIDS charities :respec:

Norlite
03-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Such a full life. Such a caring and beautiful woman.

The very definition of the words "movie star"

RIP Miss Taylor.

JILEN
03-23-2011, 06:12 PM
RIP Ms Taylor.

She is the epitome of an adeal actress, beautiful, talented and enthralling but what i admire most about her is her tireless fight to ger aids funding since the beginning which is hard to do espcially in the Reagan era but she persevere. Using her fame and public persona she raise money and awareness for aids cause. I think the world owes her a Thank You....

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-23-2011, 06:26 PM
I heard this morning. I know I shouldn't have been surprised since Dame Elizabeth had been sick for quite some time but I was anyway. I'll remember those eyes and more importantly the work she did to call attention to the HIV/AIDS epidemic. RIP Dame Liz.

Rex
03-23-2011, 06:30 PM
My favorite Elizabeth Taylor movie is "Elephant Walk" in 1954 with a young Peter Finch

It's one of my fave Liz movies, mainly because she is so beautiful in it. It was almost a sin how lovely she was. And a good person. When Diana Ross turned down an appearance at a benefit in Harlem ages ago, Liz happily filled in for her at the last minute, no drama, no diva demands, no questions asked. All she wanted was a plate of the soul food dinner they served afterwards :). They do NOT make them like her anymore. :fragile: