PDA

View Full Version : When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

martyross
03-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Vlad, you sly old fox...

millipied
03-22-2011, 03:59 PM
I suspect ISU Governing Council meeting will be rescheduled if Moscow gets the Worlds.

marbri
03-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Phil Hersh's latest full blog-article here:
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/

He asks: Is Vlad going to impale another big sports event for Russia? :)

Not a nice title Phil, you should remember Vlad the Impaler didn't take kindly to insults :eek:

Celine82
03-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Frau Muller, I don't know why/how/when you had to go through that hassle in Russia. I know it's not the easiest country to get into, but I have a few Russian visas in my passport, and I never stayed in an expensive hotel, and I never had to go through what you described... And in any case, I'm sure all skaters + officials + journalists would be staying in hotels big enough to be able to handle the "registration" process.

Again, I'm not saying it's all a piece of cake (and I'm hoping that the current talks between Russia and the EU to get rid of visas will be successful), and I'm concerned about the issue too, but please don't make it sound like it's 1000x worse than it actually is.

Asli
03-22-2011, 04:01 PM
I forgot about that! 2011 Governing Council dates are April 27-30 in Lombard, Illinois.

Oh no! Yet another constraint! ;)

RFOS
03-22-2011, 04:03 PM
I suspect ISU Governing Council meeting will be rescheduled if Moscow gets the Worlds.

It's the U.S. Figure Skating Governing Council, not the ISU Governing Council. I doubt it would be rescheduled for Worlds if they were in Moscow. However, it might have to be rescheduled if Worlds were in the U.S. on those dates (which would make things even more complicated). Does anyone know if those are the same dates in the bid that Colorado Springs and Lake Placid put forward?

deedeelocks
03-22-2011, 04:05 PM
My point is that a day is shot, leaving a bad feeling. Who wants to spend a day of his vacation pounding the hallways of a dark, creepy government office building...even AFTER having entered the country with your visa? For entry into the USA, the hassle occurs in the US consulate of your hometown/coountry, before you ever get on a plane. Once you enter the US with your visa, it's off to the hotel and a relaxing vacation!.
:confused: I'm not a US citizen, but I had my visa within a week (ok Russian consulate is 2.5hrs away from home, but it's near the beach so I made it like a trip :D ) and when I came to Russia, my hotel could validate the visa.
It's not as easy as a trip anywhere else, but it's not that bad either.

millipied
03-22-2011, 04:05 PM
It's the U.S. Figure Skating Governing Council, not the ISU Governing Council. I doubt it would be rescheduled for Worlds if they were in Moscow. However, it might have to be rescheduled if Worlds were in the U.S. on those dates (which would make things even more complicated). Does anyone know if those are the same dates in the bid that Colorado Springs and Lake Placid put forward?

Thanks, I got confused.:)
As far as I am aware, nobody seen or confirmed the official bids for USA and Finland. Only Russian officials confirmed that the bid went out with specific dates April 24-May 1 and location Moscow's MEGASPORT.
I would like USFS to confirm their submission with details.

Made4Dancin
03-22-2011, 04:07 PM
I appreciate Putin and Russians so much.

Here, here. All hail Mother Russia. :gallopin1

I'm so excited. It looks like we're going to get Worlds for sure. And in a timely fashion.

Lexxandra
03-22-2011, 04:08 PM
If you try to stay with friends (a 'home stay') you are almost treated like criminal, having to register with the OVIR (immigrations police) within 48 hours of arrival -- usually taking a full day of bribing your way from office to office, so forget seeing any skating on that day.
When was the last time you went to Russia?
You don't need to go to OVIR. You can register at any post office.
Read more here (http://www.waytorussia.net/RussianVisa/Registration.html).
Usually it takes me about 15-30 min to register my friends (but they take and fill out foreigner registration form in advance)

martyross
03-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks, I got confused.:)
dates April 24-May 1 and location Moscow's MEGASPORT.

Hersh reports these dates though:
April 25 - May 4.

millipied
03-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Hersh reports these dates though:
April 25 - May 4.

According to Russian Figure Skating federation, its 25/04-01/05.
http://www.championat.ru/other/news-765546.html

Anyway, one-two day does not break it:)

Frau Muller
03-22-2011, 04:16 PM
When was the last time you went to Russia?
You don't need to go to OVIR. You can register at any post office.
Read more here (http://www.waytorussia.net/RussianVisa/Registration.html).
Usually it takes me about 15-30 min to register my friends (but they take and fill out foreigner registration form in advance)

Last summer. I spend summers with my husband's family in Ryazan', a largeish city 100km south of Moscow. I am married to a Russian. I always have to go through "OVIR Day" at the start of my vacations...and it ain't pretty. But we already know the babushkas who have to be given boxes of chocolates & flowers to expedite matters. We usually take the train to Sochi for 2 weeks by the sea but my vacations always begin & end in Ryazan' and that's where I have to register at the OVIR because my husband's family's house is there. (They sponsor my visa.)

Remember -- I get a home stay visa, not a tourist visa.

eleonorad
03-22-2011, 04:33 PM
it took me about 3 weeks for me to get a visa back in 2004, but it was a group trip for students and we were about 30 people, plus maybe I had a home stay visa too, as I was staying at a friend's house.

Well it should be easier now. There are cheap flights from Milan, I think aereoflot.
I suddenly miss Russia :)

morqet
03-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Remember -- I get a home stay visa, not a tourist visa.

But I expect that won't be the case for most people going to watch worlds, so they won't have these difficulties. You are making it sound needlessly complicated! If you remember back to the Champions League Final in Moscow a couple of years ago, the Manchester United and Chelsea fans could use their match tickets as their visa, so the Russian authorities have experience with quickly making arrangements for many people entering the country to watch a sporting event.