PDA

View Full Version : When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Judy
03-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Somehow, I doubt Obama is going to be expressing his support for this event (not that there's anything wrong with that, LOL). I would guess that with Putin's stated endorsement, the deal is sealed for Moscow, which would be fabulous. I think they're the only ones who actually have a chance of potentially filling the stands on short notice, which would be nice for the competitors.

Obama is at war right now somehow I don't think figure skating is on the radar for him.

I think Russia will get it. Canada doesn't really want it as we have 2013 worlds.

marbri
03-22-2011, 03:16 PM
So it looks like the only two serious candidates were the US and Russia. Finland doesn't really want them and Canada has also said they didn't want them but those two will likely throw in bids to make the process legit.

Russia is getting government support and seem really keen and eager but IŽll hold off on the :cheer: so as not to jinx them ;)

Frau Muller
03-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Ah....I'm not so sure that Colorado Springs may not be the leading contender.

Both US and Russia have cumbersome entry-visa requirements, true. USA has Homeland Security rules making it tough to gain entry visa. But have any of you tried to go to Russia as an independent tourist, avoiding the expensive hotels? It's very tough to do. If you try to stay with friends (a 'home stay') you are almost treated like criminal, having to register with the OVIR (immigrations police) within 48 hours of arrival -- usually taking a full day of bribing your way from office to office, so forget seeing any skating on that day. If you go the expensive-hotel route, you have to prove that you've paid the hotel in full, by including the Hotel Voucher/Receipt as part of the visa-application process.

A key to selection of the Worlds venue will be which country -- USA or Russia -- is willing to relax its visa rules for skaters, coaches and officials...cause it "ain't gonna happen" for ordinary fans, I fear.

marbri
03-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Ah....I'm not so sure that Colorado Springs may not be the leading contender.

Both US and Russia have cumbersome entry-visa requirements, true. USA has Homeland Security rules making it tough to gain entry visa. But have any of you tried to go to Russia as an independent tourist, avoiding the expensive hotels? It's very tough to do. If you try to stay with friends (a 'home stay') you are almost treated like criminal, having to register with the OVIR (immigrations police) within 48 hours of arrival -- usually taking a full day of bribing your way from office to office), so forget seeing any skating on that day.

So arrive a day earlier :D

Is it any easier the other direction?

pani
03-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Why Moscow didnt work so hard to get WCh before? They wasnt inteersting in this before, but now they even have government support.
This will be greate fro Russian skaters - this is really greate and will be greate for Natale-Peshalat - Fabien Bourzat, if WCh will be in Megasport - there traning base :P But i wish Russain Figure skating federation and goverment care more about there skaters, not only in such critical situation for all World and in futire work hard to have in Russia such a big competitions, like Europian championships, GPF, JWCh and hold one of the JGP competition.

SamuraiK
03-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Im trying not to gett too excited here but when the president and sport minister of one of the biggest skating countries are stating via national TV that they will handle all the expenses (read as "we will lose the money for you Ottavio"), I believe is a big no brainer for the ISU now.

RD
03-22-2011, 03:34 PM
I agree. I think Russia's all but got this one in the bag now. I'm just glad someone has chosen to step up and allow Worlds to go on. Kudos to the Russians.

BittyBug
03-22-2011, 03:35 PM
I think Russia would be the right choice, but I'm not terribly thrilled about it conflicting with Governing Council (for non-US posters - major convention for US Figure Skating). There better be wireless access in the meeting rooms. :drama:

Obama is at war right now somehow I don't think figure skating is on the radar for him.Pfft. The man needs to get his priorities straight. Skating first. All else second. :P

Frau Muller
03-22-2011, 03:35 PM
So arrive a day earlier :D

Is it any easier the other direction?

My point is that a day is shot, leaving a bad feeling. Who wants to spend a day of his vacation pounding the hallways of a dark, creepy government office building...even AFTER having entered the country with your visa? For entry into the USA, the hassle occurs in the US consulate of your hometown/coountry, before you ever get on a plane. Once you enter the US with your visa, it's off to the hotel and a relaxing vacation!

Regardless of this hassle....what matters most is that there will be a Worlds 2011 and Moscow is a great skating city. The local fans will be out there in full force and we will be delighted to cheer the skaters from home, via computer or TV.

itsartemis
03-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Does anybody know if there are any other big sporting events that Eurosport may have contracts with during that proposed week in April?

Giro d'Italia and French Open which will be aired in full on Eurosport don't start until May 7th and May 17th respectively. Thank goodness.

Sylvia
03-22-2011, 03:42 PM
I think Russia would be the right choice, but I'm not terribly thrilled about it conflicting with Governing Council (for non-US posters - major convention for US Figure Skating).
I forgot about that! 2011 Governing Council dates are April 27-30 in Lombard, Illinois.

eleonorad
03-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Does anybody know if there are any other big sporting events that Eurosport may have contracts with during that proposed week in April?

Giro d'Italia and French Open which will be aired in full on Eurosport don't start until May 7th and May 17th respectively. Thank goodness.

the italian eurosport commentator told me there *shouldn't* be problems regarding the broadcast

RumbleFish
03-22-2011, 03:49 PM
I appreciate Putin and Russians so much.
I'd be happy to give a bronze medal to Bobrova & Solobiev as long as he doesn't feck up his twizzle.

Frau Muller
03-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Phil Hersh's latest full blog-article here:
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/

He asks: Is Vlad going to impale another big sports event for Russia? :)

antmanb
03-22-2011, 03:54 PM

Championship Tiddlywinks?
Darts?
Snooker?

Who knows - with the amount of crap they have on Eurosport, they have managed to fill the skating slots pretty quickly (given the time difference I suspect most of the action would have been highlight anyway), so i'm sure they can clear some of their schedule for figure skating. Not sure about "live" but certainly highlights.