PDA

View Full Version : When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

oleada
04-03-2011, 09:36 PM
If this is a charity show whose money will be used for the victims in Japan, and Plushenko's presence will sell more tickets...then I say the more the merrier.

aemeraldrainc
04-03-2011, 09:58 PM
There was a ticket update published on 3/30 here: http://sport.rian.ru/sport/20110330/359418369.html
Google Translate says there will be a Worlds organizing committee meeting on Monday, April 4 during which the ticket situation will be addressed and the official start date of early ticket sales should be announced soon afterwards.

Cool. Thanks for the update! :)

Skate Talker
04-03-2011, 10:14 PM
So here we have 2 reasons why Plushenko skating won't set any kind of precent

I know the USFSA bent the rules to have Lysacek skate at US Nats this year, but I thought that the exhibitions were supposed to be for the top finishers of the competition? I guess he is the Olympic silver medalist, so it's fine, but it does set a precedent for the future with guest stars who outshine the real skaters.

1. He just doesn't meet the criteria :scream:

Usually at the Gala, only the participants of the Championships are supposed to perform (plus maybe "local" skaters, usually kids). However, in Bern, Switzerland, at Europeans this year, Stéphane Lambiel and even Denise Biellmann (a pro skater for 20 years) were allowed to skate.

2. It has already been done by skaters who can outshine the "real skaters" and everyone loved it.

Asli
04-03-2011, 10:32 PM
I know the USFSA bent the rules to have Lysacek skate at US Nats this year, but I thought that the exhibitions were supposed to be for the top finishers of the competition? I guess he is the Olympic silver medalist, so it's fine, but it does set a precedent for the future with guest stars who outshine the real skaters.

We are talking about two different galas:

1. The gala of the World Championships in Moscow - Plushenko won't skate.

2. The gala in St Petersburg as a benefit for Japan - Plushenko will skate.
This second gala will take place after the end of the Worlds and has no official link to the Worlds.

millipied
04-03-2011, 10:34 PM

This second gala has no official links to the Worlds.

Stop raining on Plushenko detractors' parade.;)

Theatregirl1122
04-03-2011, 10:40 PM
I know the USFSA bent the rules to have Lysacek skate at US Nats this year, but I thought that the exhibitions were supposed to be for the top finishers of the competition?

Since US Nationals are not an ISU competition, I don't think there were any rules to bend.

FigureSpins
04-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Since US Nationals are not an ISU competition, I don't think there were any rules to bend.
You're missing my point: I know ISU members can set or bend their own rules for their own competitions, as the USFSA demonstrated at 2011 Nationals as well as at Europeans as Eislauffan has stated. I wondered if the ISU had a similar "competitors only in the exhibition" rule/guideline. *shrugs* I didn't see anything in the ISU online rules, so I guess not unless someone more knowledgeable can chime in. Thanks anyway.

Usually at the Gala, only the participants of the Championships are supposed to perform (plus maybe "local" skaters, usually kids). However, in Bern, Switzerland, at Europeans this year, Stéphane Lambiel and even Denise Biellmann (a pro skater for 20 years) were allowed to skate.
I had thought it was a hard-and-fast rule at all elite competitions. I guess it's more of a social norm than a rule. Thanks for the info.

This second gala will take place after the end of the Worlds and has no official link to the Worlds.
Sorry for my confusion - I thought that there was only one exhibition serving two purposes. That's great that they're having two different events. It allows the champions to have their time in the spotlight without being upstaged and helps raise money for the Japanese. Well done!

Thanks for the clarification.

Theatregirl1122
04-04-2011, 02:05 AM
You're missing my point: I know ISU members can set or bend their own rules for their own competitions, as the USFSA demonstrated at 2011 Nationals as well as at Europeans as Eislauffan has stated. I wondered if the ISU had a similar "competitors only in the exhibition" rule/guideline. *shrugs* I didn't see anything in the ISU online rules, so I guess not unless someone more knowledgeable can chime in. Thanks anyway.

I'm not missing your point. Or at least you are missing mine. US Nationals is not an ISU competition. Europeans is.

misskarne
04-04-2011, 03:04 AM

Ooooooh, thanks for that clarification, I was confused too!

FigureSpins
04-04-2011, 03:11 AM
I wonder if a lot of people will go to one show or the other, or both? How much are the tickets for cheap seats to these events? (I can't read the advertisement, thanks in advance.)

Asli
04-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I had thought it was a hard-and-fast rule at all elite competitions. I guess it's more of a social norm than a rule.

If I remember correctly, the rule about the gala of an ISU event featuring only the competitors of that event was introduced in order to prevent the big stars from skipping the competition (such as a GP event) and only skating at the gala for big :bribe:.

Breaking this rule has implications for the eligible skaters, but how can the ISU punish Stéphane Lambiel or Denise Bielmann now, if they have skated at the Euros gala? Maybe force them to watch the ladiezzzzz preliminaries? ;)

let`s talk
04-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Oh, god... Plush again. What a man!

FS, the tickets are not in sales yet. The prices for the Worlds were announced and I think they were posted here: 200-3,000 roubles a day. The top price is for the exhibition gala in Moscow on May 1, I believe. As for the show in St-Petersburg on May 2, my guess is the prices will be around or a little less. I think they are waiting when the tickets for the Worlds will be officially in sales (10-11 April, the officials said), and then the tickets for St-Petersburg show will show up. And yes, if some people want, of course they can visit both shows- take an overnight train from Moscow to St-Petersburg, or an express train Sapsan on May 2. I am not doing that since I'll be in St-Petersburg before May 2 (I am leaving the Worlds after pairs' and men' events for my home city St-Petersburg). But some people have other plans and if they have a desire and an opportunity to visit both shows in two top Russian cities, why not.

Today they had the Organizing Committee' meeting. The most remarkable news is that it would be possible to arrive in Russia without a pre-arrival visa and buy a visa in the airport. Still a little confusing information about who can buy a visa in the airport: only competitors and officials (as RIA Novosti says), or also fans (Sovsport). Better to ask in the nearest consulate a few days later, when they get the official information from the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Or get the visa in a general way.

rfisher
04-04-2011, 04:15 PM
If I remember correctly, the rule about the gala of an ISU event featuring only the competitors of that event was introduced in order to prevent the big stars from skipping the competition (such as a GP event) and only skating at the gala for big :bribe:.

Breaking this rule has implications for the eligible skaters, but how can the ISU punish Stéphane Lambiel or Denise Bielmann now, if they have skated at the Euros gala? Maybe force them to watch the ladiezzzzz preliminaries? ;)

I don't know. Ladies at the last Euros was the most emotional event of the entire competition. :lol:

Asli
04-04-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't know. Ladies at the last Euros was the most emotional event of the entire competition. :lol:

I agree, but I did say "the preliminaries" were going to be the punishment. :)

It's difficult to beat Sarah's gold in terms of emotion, isn't it? I hope the Worlds has something that good in store. For instance, very deserving skaters who have been held back by their partners time and again and who, after long years, finally skate with each other and win the gold. I mean, just as an example. You get the general idea. ;)

seabm7
04-04-2011, 04:49 PM

I heard Swiss Federation had to get a special permission from ISU on allowing Stephane Lambiel to participate in the gala, and it was difficult. I guess allowing ineligible skaters in the gala of an ISU event is a problem between ISU and host federations, not the skaters.