PDA

View Full Version : When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

loulou
04-01-2011, 01:36 PM
no one does anything for anything :D

Well, hopefully that's a rule with a few exceptions.
I'd agree though: current Russia - Putin on top - is not one of those.

let`s talk
04-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Has the official website for the Worlds been posted yet?
http://worldfigureskating.ru/
I can't read Russian, but I'm guessing it is. :slinkaway

:eek: No, it's not. It's just one more of filthy sites that is trying to "sell" Worlds tickets. Tickets will be on sale on April 11 (from the RFSF official site).

Asli
04-01-2011, 09:10 PM
I wonder why they do it? Isn't it time to stop?

Maybe Moscow is going to be a candidate for the summer olympics soon. I am serious.

Anya
04-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Moscow has already been a candidate for the summer games (for 2012). The IOC shoot down the idea of using river Moscow, which criss-cross the city as the main transportation route for athletes/officials thereby avoiding traffic jams. And I cannot imagine any other way to avoid them, frankly, other than deporting half of the city population elsewhere.

galaxy
04-02-2011, 10:01 AM
I think I've been keeping up but I didn't see this posted if it has been forgive me.

The St. Petersberg gala is going to be a benefit for Japan (http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=248&p=50386#p50386)

Skaters going to join the gala taking place on May 2nd will be

Plushenko, Savchenko/Scholkowy, Amodio, Pechalat/Bourzat, Ilinykh/Katsalapov, Gachinski, Leonova, Makarova, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Ando and more...

Sorry, I can't read Russian.

misskarne
04-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Skaters going to join the gala taking place on May 2nd will be

Plushenko, Savchenko/Scholkowy, Amodio, Pechalat/Bourzat, Ilinykh/Katsalapov, Gachinski, Leonova, Makarova, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Ando and more...

Sorry, I can't read Russian.

So it's confirmed that Plushenko is skating at the Gala? He said on Twitter that he'd like to skate, but he hadn't been asked yet.

If so, could be very interesting, as he's talking about it being the first outing for one of his new competition programs.

Eislauffan
04-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Moscow has already been a candidate for the summer games (for 2012). The IOC shoot down the idea of using river Moscow, which criss-cross the city as the main transportation route for athletes/officials thereby avoiding traffic jams. And I cannot imagine any other way to avoid them, frankly, other than deporting half of the city population elsewhere.

During the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, cars with even numbers and uneven numbers were allowed to drive on alternating days in order to reduce traffic. Of course there were plenty of "exceptions", but still, traffic was lighter.

Domshabfan
04-03-2011, 11:11 AM

2012 bid was between London, NY, Moscow, Paris and Madrid.. Some of the most powerful countries bidding for the same event, IOC had to nit pick. As Eislauffan has suggested there is always way out of such problems. However, I wonder whether Russia, when bidding for a summer games will select St.Petersberg over Moscow.

lexeoe
04-03-2011, 03:30 PM
2012 bid was between London, NY, Moscow, Paris and Madrid.. Some of the most powerful countries bidding for the same event, IOC had to nit pick. As Eislauffan has suggested there is always way out of such problems. However, I wonder whether Russia, when bidding for a summer games will select St.Petersberg over Moscow.

st. petersburg did bid for the 2004 games but wasn't shortlisted. 2004 shortlist were athens, rome, cape town, stockholm and buenos aires.

let`s talk
04-03-2011, 04:26 PM
So it's confirmed that Plushenko is skating at the Gala? He said on Twitter that he'd like to skate, but he hadn't been asked yet.

If so, could be very interesting, as he's talking about it being the first outing for one of his new competition programs.

It's confirmed and he'll be there. Honestly, I can't imagine any top FS show in St-Petersburg without Plush. On Twitter he was probably speaking about the official Worlds exhibition gala in Moscow on May 1.
http://fsnews.ru/datas/users/afspb_1.jpeg
Plush
K/S
S/S
Fernandez
Amodio
P/B
Ando
V/T
Gachi
Makarova
Leonova
others

JasperBoy
04-03-2011, 04:57 PM
When I heard that Moscow had offered to host Worlds, and won, I assumed that Plushy was in the equation somewhere.

FigureSpins
04-03-2011, 08:10 PM
I know the USFSA bent the rules to have Lysacek skate at US Nats this year, but I thought that the exhibitions were supposed to be for the top finishers of the competition? I guess he is the Olympic silver medalist, so it's fine, but it does set a precedent for the future with guest stars who outshine the real skaters.

Eislauffan
04-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I know the USFSA bent the rules to have Lysacek skate at US Nats this year, but I thought that the exhibitions were supposed to be for the top finishers of the competition? I guess he is the Olympic silver medalist, so it's fine, but it does set a precedent for the future with guest stars who outshine the real skaters.

Usually at the Gala, only the participants of the Championships are supposed to perform (plus maybe "local" skaters, usually kids). However, in Bern, Switzerland, at Europeans this year, StÚphane Lambiel and even Denise Biellmann (a pro skater for 20 years) were allowed to skate.

Sylvia
04-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Any news on ticket sales?
There was a ticket update published on 3/30 here: http://sport.rian.ru/sport/20110330/359418369.html
Google Translate says there will be a Worlds organizing committee meeting on Monday, April 4 during which the ticket situation will be addressed and the official start date of early ticket sales should be announced soon afterwards.

Mevrouw
04-03-2011, 09:10 PM

I suppose it all depends on one's opinion of 'great'.

Currently great? Used-to-be great? :blah: