PDA

View Full Version : When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

skatepixie
03-28-2011, 08:08 AM
I think the reason people are more critical of athletes in team sports who begin to fade out, ability-wise, is that it hurts the team. People like my in laws, who love a team, are in it for the team, not the individual.

Skaters, on the other hand, only hurt themselves when they do less than what was once their best. Sure, if they managed to qualify for Worlds and suck there, it does hurt the program in their country (worlds spots) -- however, they still qualified, which implies (at least in theory) that they were better than the person below them in the standings. It's not like the whole team loses the super bowl or whatever because of one person who can't admit that their glory days are behind them.

Sure, people can voice the opinion that someone is unlikely to have success in the future, but at the end of the day it is their call to keep going or not. Is Alexe going to the Olympics? I doubt it, but hey, it's her choice. Even if someone's prize money is less than training expenses, it isn't my business what they do with their finances. It's not like football or baseball where people are contracted to the team based on ability. In skating, anyone can try if they have the means. You just might not make it to international events. But nothing's stopping anyone from trying. And I like that about it.

Dragonlady
03-28-2011, 08:50 AM
The difference is night and day. "pro" athletes have contracts that skaters do not. Pro athletes don't get paid based on if they win or not;

Really? Have you not heard of tennis, golf, track and field, speed skating, skiing? Those are sports with pro athletes with no contracts, who get paid on the basis of whether or not they win.

Artifice
03-28-2011, 09:28 AM
We complain that sports writers don't treat figure skating like a sport, but when they do, we complain that it's none of their business. You can't have it both ways.

No, treating FS like a sport doesn't mean everyone has the right to tell a skater to stop. Treating a sport like a sport means treating it with objective vision and respect toward athlets. And sorry but saying to a skater who works hard everyday that he / she should stop is not ethic, especially when the said reporter is not as skilled as the skater. Like Fumie Suguri or Elvis Stojko, they both have a top level in their sport to say the least, they perfectly know their sport and what it takes to succeed, more than the journalist who pretends to be legitimate to give advises. Coaches, family are the right people to advise a skater, not journalist who most of the time don't know the sport that much.

I don't think anyone should tell an athlete, from any sport, when to retire. If they can't make the cut, they can't make the cut. That's what competition is for. For the best to win supposedly. So if you're the best or one of the best or you can still qualify then why shouldn't you? If you don't make it, you don't make it. Otherwise, it's ageism.

Exactly, this is what sport is about. A skater may have passed his prime but he still can be competitive enough in comparition with other skaters. Results will tell what it is. Aftewards it's up to the skater to pursue or move on.

Sports writers have the right to express their opinion about whether skaters have the right to leave or stay - and their opinions about all sorts of things. If they didn't do that, writers like Phil would be out of a job. But skaters certainly don't have to listen to them and readers can ignore them.

Legally they perfectly have the right to say whatever they want about this or that skater should stay or leave, but ethically they should'nt. Because they for sure don't have all the elements and information to build a right opinion and to give advises.

I think the reason people are more critical of athletes in team sports who begin to fade out, ability-wise, is that it hurts the team. People like my in laws, who love a team, are in it for the team, not the individual.

Skaters, on the other hand, only hurt themselves when they do less than what was once their best. Sure, if they managed to qualify for Worlds and suck there, it does hurt the program in their country (worlds spots) -- however, they still qualified, which implies (at least in theory) that they were better than the person below them in the standings. It's not like the whole team loses the super bowl or whatever because of one person who can't admit that their glory days are behind them.

Sure, people can voice the opinion that someone is unlikely to have success in the future, but at the end of the day it is their call to keep going or not. Is Alexe going to the Olympics? I doubt it, but hey, it's her choice. Even if someone's prize money is less than training expenses, it isn't my business what they do with their finances. It's not like football or baseball where people are contracted to the team based on ability. In skating, anyone can try if they have the means. You just might not make it to international events. But nothing's stopping anyone from trying. And I like that about it.

Yep, and everything is relative. A former top level skater may not be able to reach podiums anymore but can still appreciate competition and may like to try new things eventhough that doesn't lead them to the top. They also may have other reasons, like endorsements or whatever.
And for sure, what is important about sport is to push oneself forward and keep trying as long as the athlet like it. Journalists who allow themeselves to give advises like who should stay or leave are not only very disrespectfull toward athlets but they just prove that they don't understand what sport is about, what it takes to get even to a national level and even less what constraints athelts face.
As for team sports, it's a bit different because of what you said, impact on the team...

millipied
03-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Back to main topic.
The ticket sale website is up, Russian version for now. price range from $35 to $150. Not official site, but reseller.
http://moscow-tickets.ru/sport/katanie_chemp/figurnoe_chemp/

Loves_Shizuka
03-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Back to main topic.
The ticket sale website is up, Russian version for now. price range from $35 to $150. Not official site, but reseller.

:D thank you!

Hindernisse
03-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Back to main topic.

I don't know this reseller and how reliable it is. I bet the tickets there will be sold twice as much as the face value. I would not rush until the tickets are up at the official box office.

skatepixie
03-28-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't know this reseller and how reliable it is. I bet the tickets there will be sold twice as much as the face value. I would not rush until the tickets are up at the official box office.

This.

Unknown internet sellers = red flag.

Hedwig
03-28-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't think anyone should tell an athlete, from any sport, when to retire. If they can't make the cut, they can't make the cut. That's what competition is for. For the best to win supposedly. So if you're the best or one of the best or you can still qualify then why shouldn't you? If you don't make it, you don't make it. Otherwise, it's ageism.

I agree with this.

Often I think it is more fans who want to see "exiting new talent" and are bored with the "old ones".
But Fumie is a good example, IMO. She really seems to love the sport. Maybe she isn't in for another world medal or even making the world team and she knows that but maybe she just loves competing and now it is more a hobby to her than anything else.

I spoke to a former competitive Swiss skater once who was in his mid twentys when he - for the first time - won the silver medal at his nationals. He was overjoyed with this. Then the head guy of the fed came to him and asked him when he wanted to retire. He said he felt like crying when those where the first words out of the mouth of said guy.

This skater is now in his fourties and is still skating competitively as an adult skater and loves it.

Proustable
03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
1. I have no qualms with people telling people when to retire. It's criticism based on performance/results and nothing else (hopefully). That stated, athletes compete for their own reasons and that should be respected. But at the same time, I wonder just how fulfilling some of these guys find skating. It's one thing to be low ranked and competing for the love of it. It's another thing to have had considerable success and be a shadow of your peak self. Some skaters are able to recontextualize things (or at least seem able to): Delobel/Schoenfelder at the Olympics when they realized they weren't gonna win a medal is a good example such that "under-performance" (relative to their past/peak selves) isn't so negative. I presume Suguri et al are able to do that.

2. But lets get real, in the instant internet culture, one bad performance has people crying from the hills. Patrick Chan post-SC - he was gonna win every competition with multiple falls right up to the Olympics. Flatt-post GPF, she was done, over the hill etc. If Hersh gave reasonable criticism (which is definitely there) it'd be okay. He doesn't, so it's not worth much.

3. I disagree with Dragonlady, however, when it comes to high school athletes (athletes representing high school, not high school aged athletes). I really don't get that culture.

Skate Talker
03-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Wondering if someone could start a thread about all this OT stuff. I would like to be able to read info about Worlds here without wading through it. This topic is long enough. Thank You

let`s talk
03-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Looks like Russia is collecting force major competitions:lol: Pentathlon world championship will take place in September in Moscow instead of Cairo. Earlier it was decided to move saber world cup from Tunisia to Moscow.What a generous country!
The lovely thing ontopic was worded by Zhulin today:

"Any event in Russia is always chic. Everything is done with the superior quality. Maybe the US is richer, but their FS events' organizers are greedy about food, other things, everytime we are short on this and that. Probably these are small things but they ruin the general impression of the event. But Russians are very generous and hospitable."
www.rg.ru/2011/03/27/zhulin-poln.html

Back to main topic.

Seconded. Moreover, today Pisseev said to championat.ru that the tickets will be available for sale only in a week. :eek: wtf? How about people who actually have to plan their schedules? :mad:

SUN
03-28-2011, 06:54 PM
What a generous country!

Seconded. Moreover, today Pisseev said to championat.ru that the tickets will be available for sale only in a week. :eek: wtf? How about people who actually have to plan their schedules? :mad:

AFAIK, the tickets are not on sale yet, because the positions of Host Broadcasters TV cameras are not yet finalized, RUS TV, Fuji TV/ etc.

Therfore they do not yet know which seats will be killed by the cameras. This causes the delay with the tickets.

Asli
03-28-2011, 08:00 PM
AFAIK, the tickets are not on sale yet, because the positions of Host Broadcasters TV cameras are not yet finalized, RUS TV, Fuji TV/ etc.

So Fuji TV shall also to be host broadcaster?

SUN
03-28-2011, 08:38 PM
So Fuji TV shall also to be host broadcaster?

My mistake"- should have written host broadcater and TV rights holders

IceIceBaby
03-28-2011, 09:01 PM
But is the time schedule already decided?