PDA

View Full Version : When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

allezfred
03-26-2011, 03:45 AM
He demanded that Worlds be cancelled this year out of respect for Japan.

Well, that was one of the options discussed by the ISU so I don't see what is particularly outrageous about the above. :confused:

It certainly made more sense than having Worlds in October.

neptune
03-26-2011, 03:59 AM
With all his shortcomings, at least Phil does write about skating.

True, but he'd probably write about termites if he thought it would generate any attention. :lol:

Loves_Shizuka
03-26-2011, 07:59 AM
True, but he'd probably write about termites if he thought it would generate any attention. :lol:

Judging by the way this thread has gone, Phil has suceeded.

neptune
03-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Judging by the way this thread has gone, Phil has suceeded.

Well, one could call Phil many things, but he ain't stupid. ;)

skatepixie
03-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Bah Hersh. I read him for news when it gets linked to here, but I don't read for his opinions. I almost never agree with them, and I kind of wonder if he's a little off in the head lol.

icenut84
03-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Re Lepisto, I don't know what the skater she would have bumped would have done if she had been replaced, but it seems the federation would have been subject to legal action since the team had already been named.

No matter how much I like any skater, it would have been so unbelievably unfair to bump someone off the worlds team for her. If they've been named to the team for 2011 worlds, they should get to compete there, regardless of the fact it's been delayed by a month. Once the team has been named, they can't just change their mind. What if Laura had recovered in time for Tokyo worlds as scheduled? I'm sure they wouldn't have just kicked Juulia off the team at the last minute. This is no different, IMHO.

Sooo happy that Worlds is going ahead though! :cheer2: Major :respec: to Russia :)

Sylvia
03-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Since Laura Lepistö was one of Finland's original entries (ETA: she officially withdrew on March 7), I'm guessing the ISU could have allowed her federation to replace her alternate (Juulia Turkkila) with Lepistö had the extra weeks given her the time she needed to recover.

Valentina Marchei might have had that option too (she was replaced by Roberto Rodeghiero), but as was mentioned in the Worlds Entries thread in the Kiss and Cry forum, she posted on her Facebook that she wouldn't be recovered enough to try and re-enter.

Flying Camel
03-26-2011, 02:42 PM
That's SO unfair.

Everyone knows she should quit and go to college because her programs are largely unwatchable.

Her SP was greatly improved after they changed it. The LP was unberable to watch. With all the time off I wonder if she has made any changes there. If they could just please remove the finger snaps and the winks. :(

orbitz
03-26-2011, 02:48 PM
If they could just please remove the finger snaps and the winks. :(

But they show off Rachael's personalities :P.

RD
03-26-2011, 02:55 PM
If they could just please remove the finger snaps and the winks

To me, that's not the issue. The issue I have is the relative lack of excitement, at least in comparison to the SP. It's just kinda boring. So I say leave them in there (don't overdo it though) and just work on executing. If she does well in the SP she'll at least be within range. A solid FS in addition to a great SP should at least land her in the top 6

I take it this may be her last year, though? Isn't she going to Stanford in the fall? I hardly think she'd be able to manage that plus remain competent in skating...

manleywoman
03-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Why not? Worked well for Debi Thomas.

rfisher
03-26-2011, 03:32 PM
He he he. I always find the outrage at Phil Hersh amusing considering pretty much everything he says was expressed by posters on FSU first.

Andrushka
03-26-2011, 04:03 PM
then shouldn't the posters of fsu get credit for his "opinions" ;)

PUNKPRINCESS
03-26-2011, 04:12 PM
ETA; A good case in point was when Jenny Kirk was doing her blog. She was just starting out, and I remember she wrote something and then Hersh commented on the same subject- and then proceeded to criticize Jenny for not verifying some sort of info (I forgot what it was). He obviously forgot that as someone just starting out in journalism, Jenny is obviously not going to have the connections that he has (although she likely has more than usual, being a former skater), so she may not be able to verify info as quickly (or at least, not directly). I thought it was a bit "low" of him to rub that in her face.

I remember this too, but I also remember that he insulted her, calling her a failure. I can't remember the first part of the quote, but Kirk was talking about somebody failing to do something, or an element or something like that, and Hersh said... "and Kirk, who knows all about failure..."

That kind of snarkiness, which is classic Phil Hersh, doesn't exactly reek of professionalism or excellent journalism.
:dog: Hi guys! PP to the rescue. I remember what it was about. :D

Jenny Kirk criticized Sasha's withdrawal from the Grand Prix and her statements to the press, insinuating that Sasha was faking her injury.

http://trueslant.com/jenniferkirk/2009/10/09/cohen-drops-from-first-grand-prix/

I remember because I felt that it was unfair of Jennifer Kirk to question Sasha's honesty, and to suggest that her pulling out had more to do with a "fear of failure". That is where the whole "failure" argument started. So, right back atcha, JKirk, this is the post that Phil Hersh slammed on. Overkill, yes, but I agreed with Hersh.

Edit: But you know, a journalist with a sense of integrity would quote his sources. He seems to steal a lot of material from posters on FSU or other skating boards, and he almost never gives them credit (with the exception of oleada's Chinese skaters' age discrepancy controversy.)

Dragonlady
03-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Jenny Kirk criticized Sasha's withdrawal from the Grand Prix and her statements to the press, insinuating that Sasha was faking her injury.

http://trueslant.com/jenniferkirk/2009/10/09/cohen-drops-from-first-grand-prix/

I remember because I felt that it was unfair of Jennifer Kirk to question Sasha's honesty, and to suggest that her pulling out had more to do with a "fear of failure". That is where the whole "failure" argument started. So, right back atcha, JKirk, this is the post that Phil Hersh slammed on. Overkill, yes, but I agreed with Hersh.

Kirk criticized the timing of Sasha's withdrawal (too late to name a replacement) and her skating in a show two days before withdrawing and then saying she had been injured for some time. And Jennie was right in that regard. I thought that Hersh attacked Kirk because she DARED to criticize his darling Sasha after he begged Sasha to come back and save US Ladies figure skating.

Jennie was getting a LOT of positive feedback for her blog and Hersh was getting a lot criticism for his ridiculous posts about the dire state of US figure skating and the horrors of CoP. I thought his attacks on Kirk stemmed from petty jealousy.