PDA

View Full Version : When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

overedge
03-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Thing is, though- Hersh has access to people that the typical skatefan does not have. Various skaters, coaches, people in the ISU (including Cinquanta himself), etc. and those connections likely did not develop overnight. He's able to get first-hand information from the source. Immediately that gives him a huge advantage over even the most knowledgeable "armchair" fan. That's regardless of whether you agree with his opinions or not.

Yes, these people talk to him, but I really don't believe his access is as exclusive and insightful as he would like us to believe. E.g. his Twitter today about Yu-na's Kim announcement is phrased

In emailed statement to me from her agents, reigning Oly champion Kim Yuna of S Korea confirms she will compete in rescheduled skate worlds

These words are not untrue - I'm sure the statement was emailed to him - but I doubt very much that he was the only person it was sent to, which is what it implies.

FigureSpins
03-25-2011, 11:12 PM
If you really want to hit him where it hurts, don't spell his name correctly. It's not unheard of for FSU'ers to use creative spelling, EYS?

Or, you can give him a nickname, ala "Speedy/Cinquanta"

His online search score will drop drastically.

RD
03-25-2011, 11:34 PM
If you really want to hit him where it hurts, don't spell his name correctly. It's not unheard of for FSU'ers to use creative spelling, EYS?

Well, FTR I see TONS of people spelling his last name "Hersch" instead of the correct way "Hersh".

RunnersHigh
03-25-2011, 11:43 PM
These words are not untrue - I'm sure the statement was emailed to him - but I doubt very much that he was the only person it was sent to, which is what it implies.

You're probably right or it's simply QnA. :)

overedge
03-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Or, you can give him a nickname, ala "Speedy/Cinquanta"

It's not original - Private Eye magazine in the UK uses it as one of their fake bylines - but how about "Phil Space"? (as in, writes lots and lots just to be active)

Aussie Willy
03-25-2011, 11:52 PM
And Hersch also suggested to Rachel Flatt that she should give up competing and go to college based on having a poor performance at just one GP event this season .

smarts1
03-26-2011, 12:05 AM
^ Lol RD, there's an example, right above.

And besides that, Aussie, a lot of people wrote off Rachael Flatt after her GPF performance... It wasn't just Hersh, but my main problem with him is that way he frickin phrases everything. Like really? Who do you think you are, Phil?

jenny12
03-26-2011, 12:16 AM
In 2001 he advised Michelle Kwan to drop her Sheherzade program because after 9/11 a Middle Eastern themed program was inappropriate.

Wow, I forgot about that! That's incredibly offensive. Really tells you something about Hersh's mindset.

GoldenMichelle
03-26-2011, 12:19 AM
I guess the other big question mark re competitors will be - what shape V/M will be in?

And the Kerrs. Does no one know anything about the status of her injury? I'm 75% sure they won't be competing, but I'd like some confirmation so I can just get over my dissapointment.

Asli
03-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Wow, I forgot about that! That's incredibly offensive. Really tells you something about Hersh's mindset.

Yes, his comment about Kwan's Sheherazade is at a totally different level from the other slightly annoying things he says. :rolleyes:

RD
03-26-2011, 12:43 AM
...a lot of people wrote off Rachael Flatt after her GPF performance...

I knew from the moment it happened that it was a bad idea to do so. She strikes me as quite determined, and I don't think she would allow that bad performance to get in her head. She was much better at Nationals- still a bit shaky, but good enough to get the 2nd spot on the world team. Let's see how she does at worlds now. It'll be interesting with the delay, but I really hope that she and Czisny can get the US 3 ladies spots back.

Dragonlady
03-26-2011, 01:57 AM
He also wrote off Kwan, more than once, and has spent the last couple of years whining about the state of figure skating in the US, completely ignoring the accomplishments of Evan Lysachek, Belbin & Agosto (2nd at 2009 Worlds) and Davis & White. Of course the last two are ice-dance teams so they don't count.

As for his much vaunted "contacts" well any sports columnist as widely syndicated as Phil Hersch is going to be on everyone's contact list for press releases and other announcements. Skaters, coaches and federations are going to take his calls.

Rock2
03-26-2011, 02:21 AM
And Hersch also suggested to Rachel Flatt that she should give up competing and go to college based on having a poor performance at just one GP event this season .

That's SO unfair.

Everyone knows she should quit and go to college because her programs are largely unwatchable.

lexeoe
03-26-2011, 03:24 AM
has a website been setup for worlds? or ist unlikely we'll see one?

victoriaheidi
03-26-2011, 03:27 AM
That's SO unfair.

Everyone knows she should quit and go to college because her programs are largely unwatchable.

I thought she would quit after this season, but her new agent said that the agency hopes to do something about following her until Sochi.

Which brings me to my next question: does anyone know if she's looking for a new coach?