PDA

View Full Version : When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Dragonlady
03-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Well he better get a move-on because God just might be that person. I walked into the Kingston arena next to him last fall and the guy looks to be about 108. Well, ok, maybe 103-104 with a suit on...

He's 70. I agree that he looks older and that miserable scowl has permanently etched his face into a grim mask, but he's still only 70.

Iceman
03-25-2011, 09:28 PM
With all his shortcomings, at least Phil does write about skating. I have poured over many papers since this situation developed and found not one single article or blurb about Worlds

RD
03-25-2011, 09:30 PM
With all his shortcomings, at least Phil does write about skating. I have poured over many papers since this situation developed and found not one single article or blurb about Worlds

True. Very good point.

alilou
03-25-2011, 09:48 PM

Wow. That surprises me. There's been dozens of articles in papers all over the world right from the start, when the Jpn Federation said it would still be ok to have worlds in Tokyo, thru the whole saga.

Here's links to just a few of them

http://news.google.ca/news/story?ncl=http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hcGqkOopyHesmyjtaZ8-UQmpDGEw%3FdocId%3D6349769&hl=en&geo=ca

reese
03-25-2011, 09:50 PM
But does Phil even go to skating events anymore? I'm guessing he still goes to Nationals, but that's about it. I know his paper doesn't have the kind of budget to send him to international events (even Worlds). From what I can tell from his blog posts he watches parts of events on icenetwork. I'm grateful someone is still writing about skating, but if he's just watching events on his computer and blogging about it.... well, a lot of people can do that and a lot of people who are a lot more knowledgeable about skating could do it a lot better. (Phil's lack of knowledge about ice dance, for example, is laughable.) I remember Phil mostly from back in the Tonya/Nancy days, and I guess he still has a good enough reputation if Speedy, for example, will take his call. That's worth something certainly, but that's really all he offers.

Dragonlady
03-25-2011, 10:01 PM
I read Phil Hersch for the same reason I read Rosie DiManno - for the laughs. The difference is that nobody takes DiManno seriously. Hersch has more technical knowledge than DiManno but his columns are still a joke. Consider:

In 2001 he advised Michelle Kwan to drop her Sheherzade program because after 9/11 a Middle Eastern themed program was inappropriate.

Last season, he begged Sasha to come back and "save" US figure skating.

He doesn't consider Ice-Dance a sport.

He doesn't understand CoP.

He demanded that Worlds be cancelled this year out of respect for Japan.

And those are just the things that immediately come to mind.

overedge
03-25-2011, 10:03 PM

That's like saying it's good when someone is kicking you in the shins and hitting you because it means they're acknowledging your existence.

Phil's uninformed opinions and "me me me it's all about me" style of writing are worse than no coverage at all IMHO.

BTW I did a Google news search on "2011 world figure skating championships" and it produced more than 1,100 articles, including ones from the New York Times, Bloomberg News Service, the Detroit Tribune, several Canadian papers, CNN International, and UPI. So Phil is by no means the only writer paying attention to this story.

alilou
03-25-2011, 10:04 PM
From Finland
Figure Skating World Championships go to Moscow
http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Figure+Skating+World+Championships+go+to+Moscow+/1135264907918

Rahkamo has cast her eyes forward somewhat, and says that the Finnish Figure Skating Association is considering placing a bid for the 2016 World Championships, which are in theory the next ones that could go to a European venue in the current rotation among the continents.

From The Voice of Russia
Moscow to host world figure skating championships
http://english.ruvr.ru/2011/03/25/47975847.html

Upon evaluating all applications, the International Skating Union and the 2011 World Figure Skating Championships Organizing Committee unanimously decided in Russia’s favor. To many, it wasn’t a surprise. Ted Barton of the Canadian Figure Skating Federation said the choice was largely predictable. “The Russians can do things quickly. Do you need hotels? Here you are. Need a skating rink? It’s ready. Canada, for the moment, has nothing but words to prop up its bid”. President of Finland’s Figure Skating Association Susanna Rahkamo expressed doubt that the championships could be properly organized in less than a month.

Japanese figure skaters may be offered free accommodation in Moscow at World Cup
http://english.ruvr.ru/2011/03/25/47999819.html

Russia to expedite visa process for skating worlds
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jK3aU3rdYZiP6EBzvqjH5_m6XYLQ?docId=22b5bb7de 1ac4bd5991134879d6f96f0

Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Zhukov, who heads the Russian Olympic Committee, told The Associated Press that officials will provide easier access to visas — often difficult to obtain — for the athletes, coaches, officials and fans going to next month's rescheduled event.

reese
03-25-2011, 10:06 PM
In 2001 he advised Michelle Kwan to drop her Sheherzade program because after 9/11 a Middle Eastern themed program was inappropriate.

Seriously? :rofl: Oh my God, that's incredible. I somehow don't remember that.

RD
03-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Thing is, though- Hersh has access to people that the typical skatefan does not have. Various skaters, coaches, people in the ISU (including Cinquanta himself), etc. and those connections likely did not develop overnight. He's able to get first-hand information from the source. Immediately that gives him a huge advantage over even the most knowledgeable "armchair" fan. That's regardless of whether you agree with his opinions or not.

ETA; A good case in point was when Jenny Kirk was doing her blog. She was just starting out, and I remember she wrote something and then Hersh commented on the same subject- and then proceeded to criticize Jenny for not verifying some sort of info (I forgot what it was). He obviously forgot that as someone just starting out in journalism, Jenny is obviously not going to have the connections that he has (although she likely has more than usual, being a former skater), so she may not be able to verify info as quickly (or at least, not directly). I thought it was a bit "low" of him to rub that in her face.

Sylvia
03-25-2011, 10:12 PM
BTW I did a Google news search on "2011 world figure skating championships" and it produced more than 1,100 articles, including ones from the New York Times, Bloomberg News Service, the Detroit Tribune, several Canadian papers, CNN International, and UPI. So Phil is by no means the only writer paying attention to this story.
A lot of those article are newswire articles -- Associated Press (AP)/Canadian Press (CP), AFP, UPI, etc. The NY Times excerpted the AP articles, for example. In particular, AP (Andrew Dampf primarily) has had timely, stellar coverage, and Detroit Free Press (Jo-Ann Barnas) has featured several articles on the Detroit area skaters.

Asli
03-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Phil's uninformed opinions and "me me me it's all about me" style of writing are worse than no coverage at all IMHO.

Exactly, what bothers me is the emphasis on "ME, MYSELF and how I rock the world of figure skating."

However, fear not. The next time Hersh phones Cinquanta on a Sunday morning while he (Cinquanta) is still in his pyjamas, he'll be banned from skating competitions forever. :saint:

reese
03-25-2011, 10:20 PM
ETA; A good case in point was when Jenny Kirk was doing her blog. She was just starting out, and I remember she wrote something and then Hersh commented on the same subject- and then proceeded to criticize Jenny for not verifying some sort of info (I forgot what it was). He obviously forgot that as someone just starting out in journalism, Jenny is obviously not going to have the connections that he has (although she likely has more than usual, being a former skater), so she may not be able to verify info as quickly (or at least, not directly). I thought it was a bit "low" of him to rub that in her face.

I remember this too, but I also remember that he insulted her, calling her a failure. I can't remember the first part of the quote, but Kirk was talking about somebody failing to do something, or an element or something like that, and Hersh said... "and Kirk, who knows all about failure..."

That kind of snarkiness, which is classic Phil Hersh, doesn't exactly reek of professionalism or excellent journalism.

Asli
03-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Then what else did Cinquanto mean by that? Giving condolences, perhaps? If so, "special treatment" was the wrong way to word it.

You'll just have to use your imagination about what can comfort and console people in their situation and show them that others care. :)

RD
03-25-2011, 10:28 PM
I remember this too, but I also remember that he insulted her, calling her a failure. I can't remember the first part of the quote, but Kirk was talking about somebody failing to do something, or an element or something like that, and Hersh said... "and Kirk, who knows all about failure..."

Oh yeah, I recall that as well. I don't recall it being as big a deal as a few were making it out to be (was taken out of context, I think?), but at the same time, not exactly his best moment. Don't think he meant to actually CALL her a failure but he could have phrased it differently.

That's right, if I remember correctly he referenced her 15th? 16th? place finishes at 2004 and 2005 worlds.