PDA

View Full Version : When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

orbitz
03-25-2011, 12:05 AM
I wonder how Phil would feel if someone cancelled his job.

I'm sure Phil would understand if his job was cancelled due to some tragic event, just as I'm sure all the skaters would have understood if there was no Worlds this year.

pollyanna
03-25-2011, 12:08 AM
I wonder how Phil would feel if someone cancelled his job.

I know how I would feel. :EVILLE:

A great big thank you to Moscow for taking on this huge task with little notice, and thank you to all the other countries/cities who volunteered to help. I'm so happy the athletes and coaches have a final decision and it's not many weeks later than the original Worlds.

{{{{{Japan}}}}}

victorskid
03-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Any news from the CBC on coverage? I'm assuming the majority of it will be on Bold, right?

I don't know any more than what PJ posted on her (personal) blog:

For Canadian fans, BOLD (CBCs digital channel) and I will be on hand for all of it.

leafygreens
03-25-2011, 12:27 AM
9/11 happened right before (well, a few months before) the '02 Olympics. Nobody would have wanted it to be canceled. It provided another way for the world to come together, as will the rescheduled worlds. What about the Japanese skaters who were planning to compete this year? I think that worlds will be a nice tribute for them.

Phil is acting very holier-than-thou, like he cares more than anybody else. :rolleyes: The rest of us obviously don't care about Japan because we're throwing a big skating party.

Japanfan
03-25-2011, 12:58 AM
But the event has been rendered utterly insignificant by the devastation in Japan, where it was supposed to have been taking place this week in Tokyo, where it would have had special meaning to a country that has become passionate about the sport since Midori Ito became its first world champion in 1989. Having to give up the event to another country, although hardly consequential in the big picture, is another painful circumstance for Japan to endure.

Missing So my feelings have not changed. I still believe the event should have been cancelled.

It still would have shown greater sensitivity to cancel the meet.

Many activities and events are insignificant in relation to the disaster, but that doesn't mean those activities and events are insignificant in themselves and have no meaning to anyone. Plus, disasters should remind us to cherish all that is good in life when we can, which includes going on with our lives.

I don't see how not holding worlds is an act of disrespect and doubt that Japan, the JSF, and Japanese skaters see it as such. Action as supposed to inaction is more indicative of respect - the skating community has taken action by organizing a benefit and the ISU announced that the Japanese delegation will be given "special treatment" (whatever that means). So I expect that this Worlds will certainly acknowledge the tragedy.

Phil really likes to hear himself talk.

reese
03-25-2011, 01:03 AM
Phil called for Worlds to be canceled almost immediately after the disaster. He was very holier-than-thou about the whole thing from the start, writing several blogs about how insensitive the ISU was being. The only reason he's still clinging to this respect-Japan-by-canceling thing is because he endorsed it so completely 2 weeks ago. If he said anything different now he'd be admitting that he might have been wrong or presumptuous and that's not something Phil does.

mmot
03-25-2011, 01:09 AM
Japanese skaters want to compete.
Japanese figure skating fans want to watch the Worlds. Some may even travel to Moscow to see the event.
Majority of Japanese people, who are not figure skating fans and especially those who are most affected by the disasters, will be too busy dealing with the situations they are in to care whether the Worlds is held or cancelled.

Over all, I do not think anyone in Japan will be offended.

Besides, the professional baseball leagues are starting their season in Japan next month. The start is delayed, not because it is insensitive to play baseball in the midst of suffering of those victims, but because holding games consumes a huge amount of electricity, which is in short supply in parts of Japan.

Nikki Lee
03-25-2011, 01:38 AM
I was feeling something missing at this time of year.

Coco
03-25-2011, 01:58 AM
Perhaps Phil can just stay home.

Asli
03-25-2011, 02:08 AM
I'm sure Phil would understand if his job was cancelled due to some tragic event, just as I'm sure all the skaters would have understood if there was no Worlds this year.

The two things cannot be compared though. Noone would benefit from the Worlds being cancelled, least of all Japanese skaters who have a good chance for gold in two disciplines and their Japanese fans. Whereas Phil's job... ;)

Cheylana
03-25-2011, 02:11 AM
Phil called for Worlds to be canceled almost immediately after the disaster. He was very holier-than-thou about the whole thing from the start, writing several blogs about how insensitive the ISU was being. The only reason he's still clinging to this respect-Japan-by-canceling thing is because he endorsed it so completely 2 weeks ago. If he said anything different now he'd be admitting that he might have been wrong or presumptuous and that's not something Phil does.
He probably already had an article in the can about the irony of Worlds being cancelled on the 50th anniversary of the last time it was cancelled.... and now darn Speedy and Russia has ruined it for him! :D

pollyanna
03-25-2011, 02:13 AM
The two things cannot be compared though. Noone would benefit from the Worlds being cancelled, least of all Japanese skaters who have a good chance for gold in two disciplines and their Japanese fans. Whereas Phil's job... ;)

And with all the devastation in Japan, a couple of gold medals in a sport that is so loved there could really raise spirits and make a lot of people feel a little happier.

Marco
03-25-2011, 02:57 AM
Well I am glad things are settled. Good luck Russia!

(too bad the current Russian ladies aren't skating so well and Sotnikova and Tuktymasheva can't make these Worlds)

Rock2
03-25-2011, 03:00 AM
Perhaps Phil can just stay home.

He can stick around, although I think now I'll call him 'Fill'
After all, the guy is quantity not quality.

Rock2
03-25-2011, 03:03 AM
And, as for TV coverage, BOLD IS GOLD in my little world. Thanks, PJ! And, so happy I don't have to be up in the middle of the night to get live coverage. I smell a couple of vacation days coming....

Dragonlady, fire up the martini pitchers!!