PDA

View Full Version : When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

aka_gerbil
03-24-2011, 09:35 PM
You would think - since it is an ISU event the date would be changed? Also Siudeks will need to be with Kemp and King at Worlds won't they?

I'm wondering the same thing: wouldn't the dates for the seminar be changed now that it conflicts with Worlds?

Rock2
03-24-2011, 09:53 PM
You would think - since it is an ISU event the date would be changed? Also Siudeks will need to be with Kemp and King at Worlds won't they?

If they are stuck, they can toss me a lanyard and I'll stand by the boards to coach them through falling on sbs 2Fs for a few days...

Aussie Willy
03-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Glad to hear they have chosen a place and dates to hold the event. Good luck to the organising committee. I am sure they will do a great job.

Sedge
03-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Is the practice rink in the same building as the event?

alilou
03-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Time management key through skating delay says Patrick Chan's coach
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hcGqkOopyHesmyjtaZ8-UQmpDGEw?docId=6349769

Krall said she scaled back Chan's training considerably after the initial news of a delay.

"He was skating four sessions (daily), we dropped it down to three," Krall said. "He was practising his short and long program every day and we dropped that down to one session. Our motto has been quality not quantity."

Krall sent Chan out golfing on Wednesday afternoon. He's also been doing some ballroom dancing.

"That's been the toughest thing because you're really primed and psyched to end your season in March, and then ... whoops! I'm not going to be able to do that," Krall said.

There was suggestion the event would be held as late as the end of May.

"That would have been so devastating, then you really have clocked into your next season," Krall said. "I think that's what everyone was concerned about, how deep into the next season we would get."

skatingfan04
03-24-2011, 10:40 PM
:D Yay!!! I'm so excited. April 24th isn't even that far away :)

alilou
03-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Phil's opinion
My view: Cancelling world figure skating still was the best option
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2011/03/skate-worlds-japan-catastrophe-cancelled.html

Miner appreciative for chance to compete
http://www.universalsports.com/blogs/blog=gofigure/postid=526154.html

I'm really really excited and thankful. It's obviously terrible what's happened in Japan. They would have hosted a wonderful event. Every single competition I've been to in Japan has been extraordinary, but I just don't think it was feasible at the time.

I think it’s awesome that the people behind the scenes at the ISU were able to get this done because I don’t think all of us skaters realized what an ordeal it is to get something like this going. To us it just seems like give us a rink and some judges and we’ll go skate.

Wyliefan
03-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Interesting interviews with Davis, Flatt, Brezina, and Ladwig here (http://www.universalsports.com/blogs/blog=gofigure/postid=526158.html). I apologize if it's already been posted -- I don't think it has, but sometimes I miss things.

As for Hersh, he's reminding me of that song "I Wanna Talk about Me." I, I, I, I. Phil, the fate of figure skating does not rest on your shoulders.

Fashionista
03-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Is the practice rink in the same building as the event?

yes

haribobo
03-24-2011, 10:55 PM
I wonder how Phil would feel if someone cancelled his job.

PDilemma
03-24-2011, 11:03 PM
The thing Phil needs to think about is that the Japanese are not the only competitors. And this is not the only sporting event going on in the world. Why should skating be canceled but other sports carry on? There are several Japanese players in MLB. No one suggested that Spring Training exhibitions be shut down. Other sports will continue to have their world championships this year with Japanese competitors participating.

Spinner
03-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Just wanted to pop in with a :cheer2: and HUGE THANK YOU to the FSFR for hosting!

AragornElessar
03-24-2011, 11:37 PM
The thing Phil needs to think about is that the Japanese are not the only competitors. And this is not the only sporting event going on in the world. Why should skating be canceled but other sports carry on? There are several Japanese players in MLB. No one suggested that Spring Training exhibitions be shut down. Other sports will continue to have their world championships this year with Japanese competitors participating.

And kudos to both the Boston Red Sox and Seattle Mariners on how they handled the tragic events in Japan in regards to their Japanese players. They handled things w/dignity, compassion and class and as I said, major kudos to them!!

The same to Russia!! Thank you to them for taking this on and doing it w/such a tight time frame. I'm so happy the Athletes are finally out of limbo and can get back to training again w/a clear goal in mind.

Any news from the CBC on coverage? I'm assuming the majority of it will be on Bold, right?

overedge
03-24-2011, 11:46 PM
And kudos to both the Boston Red Sox and Seattle Mariners on how they handled the tragic events in Japan in regards to their Japanese players. They handled things w/dignity, compassion and class and as I said, major kudos to them!!

:confused: The Mariners and Red Sox are not the only MLB teams with Japanese players.

bek
03-24-2011, 11:48 PM

My problem with Phil is I'm not sure he's even considering the fact that many Japanese fans may not want worlds cancelled. I know if worlds had been scheduled in the US when 9/11 hit the last thing I would have wanted was for Worlds to be cancelled indefinetly. Even if worlds was to be in my hometown, and would have to be moved, I'd still want it to happen.

Events like 9/11, and whats going on in Toyko DO show me what is really important. But it also shows me why it can be nice to be able to put aside the problems of the world and watch this beautiful sport. The problems are always there tommorrow.

For many fans in Japan, watching the skating might be a thing to enjoy. The have so many skaters that can do well at this worlds, and at least they'll still be able to see that.

The thing is if I thought that cancelling worlds would ease the pain of what happened in Japan, I'd be all for it. But I don't think cancelling worlds would do that. Its a gesture that would only hurt people who've worked their whole lives for this goal.