PDA

View Full Version : When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
03-24-2011, 04:42 PM
The Russian broadcaster for Worlds will be Rossia-2, the popular channel among us for that they broadcast everything online. The championship will be covered in maximum possible way as they state.
http://sport.rian.ru/sport/20110324/357474381.html

I'll wait to renew my Russian TV subscription to closer to time if on the off chance IceNetwork will carry the event, but either is fine with me. V/T at home :cheer2:

Celine82
03-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Piseev about event schedule:

The athletes will arrive on 24th. The first event will be on April 25th. That will be qualifying round with another one on 26th. The openning ceremony will take place on 27th, the same day will be Mens and Pairs shorts, 28th- LPs for Men and Pairs. 29th-SP for Ladies and SD for Dancers. 30th- LP for Ladies and FD for Dancers.

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/447506
It sounds like the men + ladies would be in the afternoon? That would make it prime time in Japan, which would be very nice of the organizers.
AND pairs + dance in the evenings would mean that the 2 categories where the Russians currently have the best shots at medals are in prime time in Russia.

Everybody's happy. :)
(except me because I'd rather watch the men on my TV screen rather than at work)

Thanks millipied for finding all those articles and quotes! :cool:

alilou
03-24-2011, 04:46 PM
:cheer2: :respec: for Russia coming forward :cheer2:

Like most of us here I am not a fan of Speedy, however I must say.....

Under unimaginably tragic and difficult and unexpected circumstances the ISU has managed to organise worlds only one month later than was originally planned. I think this is extraordinary given all the different factors/people/businesses that had to be contacted and taken into consideration. Huge kudos :respec: Well done ISU.

The Accordion
03-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Spaseeba Russia! :cheer: :cheer:
And I also agree - Well done ISU!

I also hope they involved Japan in some meaningful way - but mostly so grateful the Worlds are happening and that the skaters get to compete!

Asli
YAY Moscow! :cheer2:

Thanks to Russia and much love to Japan! I hope the Japanese skaters do very well!

It sounds like the men + ladies would be in the afternoon? That would make it prime time in Japan, which would be very nice of the organizers.
AND pairs + dance in the evenings would mean that the 2 categories where the Russians currently have the best shots at medals are in prime time in Russia.

This schedule is as good as it can get, but I miss the old format in which one set of medals was attributed every day. One SP and one LP per day makes more sense IMO.

Made4Dancin
I'm late to the party but YAY! *hugs Russia*

I forgot to check my Powerball ticket. Maybe I can go... *checks* Nope. Skunked again. :rolleyes:

I'm so happy there will be a Worlds tho. Now only if it would come on American TV. *sigh*

millipied
03-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Alexander Groshkov:

"The organizing committee is not yet formed. We do not expect this championship to bring any profits. Hence government support is crucial for success. The Russian team will consist of the best athletes we have at the moment and we hope for at least one Gold medal."
Coach Umanskiy:

"Our best chance for Gold is in Pairs. V/T are excellent skaters and capable of winning. So are K/S. In Dance, since K/N retired, we are not in best shape. However we have Rubleva/Sheffer (NOTE: I am sure he meant Bobrova Soloviev :) ) who under right circumstances and luck, can compete for Bronze. There are also Leonova and Makarova who can surprize. Unfortunately our Mens skating is pityful...."
http://svpressa.ru/sport/article/40960/

RD
03-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks to the Russian organizers for offering to do this event on short notice. Hopefully everything goes smoothly for them and for the skaters.

Thanks to ISU for ultimately making the right decision, even if it took some time and left skaters in limbo. Much better than October or cancellation.

For us American viewers, I assume that means morning coverage of the ladies' event? As opposed to overnight hours for the original Tokyo schedule.

Celine82
03-24-2011, 04:52 PM
This schedule is as good as it can get, but I miss the old format in which one set of medals was attributed every day. One SP and one LP per day makes more sense IMO.
I agree with you, except that it wouldn't be possible to have a LP on the first of 4 days, so at best it would be SP+SP, SP+LP, SP+LP and LP+LP.

millipied
03-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Maxim Trankov:

"Worlds in Moscow is the best outcome for us. Tatiana had cold right around time we arrived in Japan and it would have been tough for us. Now we had some rest and more time to prepare. So we are ready and even miss the competition since we have not competed that much this season with Grand Prix events."
http://sport.rian.ru/sport/20110324/357477350.html

muffinbiscuit
03-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Does anyone know if the $9.95 people paid to have Universal Sports streaming video of Worlds will still be possible?

overedge
03-24-2011, 05:00 PM

CSOI - well at least my stop is not at the same time as Worlds but it's pretty close so I won't expect the skaters to have rejoined the tour so quickly but I will go anyway. Imho, CSOI would be smart to try to sign up the next-in-line Canadian skaters for the tour. I would love to see Paul/Islam, Lawrence/Sweigers, etc. and it could only be good for their development.

I think it would be good for the development of CSOI as well. The cast has been pretty, um, static for the last couple of years. CSOI might be pleasantly surprised at how well they could do with some of the lesser-known amateurs.

Lacey
03-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Kind of amazing, when you think about it, that it's been planned overall this fast. I am sure there are tons of meetings going on right now behind the scenes. Imagine all the work needed in order to finalize plans for schedules, hotels, visas, tickets, music, television, thinking about it makes me exhausted. Kudos to Russia. And how convenient to have a new ice venue, to boot. Has any competition or exhibition been held there so we can know about ice quality, and is there practice ice right there?

I am so happy for the athletes, and so glad that there seemingly is time to train in order to be competition ready in four weeks.

Asli
03-24-2011, 05:06 PM
I agree with you, except that it wouldn't be possible to have a LP on the first of 4 days, so at best it would be SP+SP, SP+LP, SP+LP and LP+LP.

Hmmm. Three SPs in a row doesn't sound good. I was thinking of a five-day format with: pairs SP, SP+LP, SD+LP, SP+FD, LP.

Since there will hardly ever be a pairs preliminary, they need only one day and a half for the preliminaries instead of two complete days. So this wouln't prolong the total competition time.

euterpe
03-24-2011, 05:08 PM
:huh: It's not like he [Chan] gets to pick which GPs he gets. :lol:

Actually, the seeds DO get a say as to their events. The gold medalist from 2010 (Takahashi) got first pick--he chose NHK and SA. Chan naturally would have chosen SC, and then one of CoC, CoR and TEB. CoC was right after SC, so he wouldn't have chosen that, which left CoR and TEB.