PDA

View Full Version : When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

essence_of_soy
03-24-2011, 01:29 AM
I told my mom about this a few hours ago and she said, "where's Peggy Fleming? Wouldn't she be good?"

Could she potentially have time/interest?

Peggy's too busy treading grapes at her winery in the Napa Valley, I'm sure.

Dragonlady
03-24-2011, 02:06 AM
I think a skater, maybe Czisny, Jenny Kirk, or someone with that degree of verbal awareness and writing skills, would be perfect.

Way too young and inexperienced to get the job. You have to serve on the ISU Council for years before being considered. And the speed skaters have more federations and members than the figure skaters so any figure skater is at a disadvantage in the election process. Being a slimy underhanded a$$hat seems to help too.

Speedy has held office for so long because at the height of the Post Whack Boom in figure skating, speed skating was receiving a chunk of the revenues from the huge TV contracts Speedy was able to negotiate for figure skating rights. I have no idea how he's faring with declining revenues.

VALuvsMKwan
03-24-2011, 02:27 AM
Peggy's too busy treading grapes at her winery in the Napa Valley, I'm sure.

That gives me visions of Peggy running laps in the vat and getting in a grape crush fight like Lucy Ricardo did when Ricky was up for the movie "Bitter Grapes" in "I Love Lucy". :rofl:

victoriaheidi
03-24-2011, 02:36 AM
That gives me visions of Peggy running laps in the vat and getting in a grape crush fight like Lucy Ricardo did when Ricky was up for the movie "Bitter Grapes" in "I Love Lucy". :rofl:

That's exactly what I thought, actually! :lol:

It's a shame, though, because Peggy seems like she'd be such a super leader (of course, I could be wrong, but she just seems more...athlete-oriented than Speedy/Gailhaguet). But it's a huge undertaking and I can't see why she'd want to take it up.

attyfan
03-24-2011, 02:38 AM
This tangent deserves a poll.

Who would make a great president elect for the ISU?

I think a skater, maybe Czisny, Jenny Kirk, or someone with that degree of verbal awareness and writing skills, would be perfect.

HRH?

let`s talk
03-24-2011, 02:51 AM
It s not a secret that plusenko caused the quake, that caused the tsunami, that caused the nuclear disruption, that caused the worlds cancellation, that caused Russian F to bid for worlds so as to reinstate him.
he also caused the Libya situation to deviate the focus of world community somewere else while all the above are happening.

:lol: :rofl: :biggrinbo:sheep:

ChelleC
03-24-2011, 03:05 AM
Didier's offer to give Japan 2012 Worlds... more than just altruistic. My commentary @ http://www.blazingblades.com/744144286/skating-world---pay-attention/

Didier as ISU president is about the only thing that would be as bad, or worse than Speedy. :scream: :yikes:

skfan
03-24-2011, 04:18 AM
Didier as ISU president is about the only thing that would be as bad, or worse than Speedy. :scream: :yikes:

someone very wise on another forum said october worlds was threatened so that everybody would say, PLEASE, anything but that. cinquanta is a master--for example, forcing the japanese to be the ones to say, we can't do it, now or later, so that there would be minimal fall out, minimal recourse for JSF.

now, the specter of didier as ISU president... smells a lot like another one of speedy's brilliant machinations.

UMBS Go Blue
03-24-2011, 05:32 AM
Peggy's too busy treading grapes at her winery in the Napa Valley, I'm sure.Actually, it's Silicon Valley, not Napa Valley (some, but not all, of their grapes may be sourced from Napa, but the wine is physically made in Los Gatos). I've met Dr. Greg Jenkins personally and I've been to their tasting room in Los Gatos.

neptune
03-24-2011, 06:35 AM
I've met Dr. Greg Jenkins personally and I've been to their tasting room in Los Gatos.

Was Peggy sober? ;)

Japanfan
03-24-2011, 06:38 AM
someone very wise on another forum said october worlds was threatened so that everybody would say, PLEASE, anything but that. cinquanta is a master--for example, forcing the japanese to be the ones to say, we can't do it, now or later, so that there would be minimal fall out, minimal recourse for JSF.

Please. An October Worlds is the worst possible option - the athletes have said so themselves. Cancellation is preferable. Plus, JSF was given over a week to explore the options and given the magnitude of the disaster, JSF really can't do it in October - I don't think that they were forced by Cinquanta to come to that decision.

I'm not a fan of Cinquanta by any means but he did behave with due respect in this situation. JSF faced legal and insurance issues and he gave them time to sort that through. Even if the outcome was known before JSF came to the decision, JSF was allowed to save face. That is very important in Japanese culture, even more so at a time like this.

now, the specter of didier as ISU president... smells a lot like another one of speedy's brilliant machinations.

That could be true. I shudder at the thought of Didier gaining that position.

Asli
03-24-2011, 07:28 AM

:huh: This is how urban legends start. Please remember how the talk about Gailhaguet as president began: A poster here said that since Gailhaguet is giving away the 2012 Worlds to Japan, he must be seeking Japan's vote in a hypothetical run for ISU presidency.

This is pure speculation by one poster. Cinquanta has never said, implied, acted or so much as raised his eyebrows in a way that would raise the "specter" of Gailhaguet as ISU president.

npavel
03-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Moscow

Is that your vote or THE vote?

is it? and when?

a56
03-24-2011, 11:27 AM
it it? and when?
The host city will be officially announced tomorrow (Friday, March 25th) on www.isu.org, although it may be leaked earlier. It's probably going to be Moscow, but that's just speculation. Russia's proposal for the dates are April 25-May 1. (http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2011/03/cinquanta-expects-new-world-skating-site-by-friday.html) Russia will also use the new 14,000 seat MegaSport Arena (http://www.innshopping.ru/en/venues/megasport-arena-moscow/) in Moscow for worlds.

bek
03-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Looking at Yu-na's announcement fr her show, and how the dates coincide, I think worlds has been determined.