PDA

View Full Version : When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Frau Muller
03-23-2011, 02:31 PM
ROTFL!!! And, of course, Speedy will emerge wearing the tall gold cap and gown. (Darn, where's Photoshop software when I need it?)

Karen-W
03-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Oh wow... Ya'll are making my morning so vastly amusing! Speedy = The Pope. LMAO!

martyross
03-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Nicht Habemus Worldus.

Non Habemus :o

Proustable
03-23-2011, 03:22 PM
The Canadian fans don't want to give up the "best" Worlds in the Olympic cycle, the Europeans fans wouldn't want to be stuck with the "worst" for 2 cycles in a row. The best solution is to give Japan 2014, but if they do decide to give Japan 2012, I would rather see France and Canada stay in that order, but be moved back by a year each, rather than Fracne getting 2014 as prize for giving up 2012. Maybe I just think about what I can watch, but North America fans have got much better deal with hosting worlds than anyone else recently!

Maybe, but given that North America has hosted a total of 19 worlds we've still got a long way to go to catch up. From 2004 to 2013, six of ten Worlds will likely be held in Europe (Dortmund, Moscow, Turin, Gotheburg, Nice and presumably Moscow in 2011), with three in North America and one in Asia.

To be honest, I quite liked the Calgary worlds. One shocking upset (Meissner) and great skates from the men and dance teams. Despite all the post-Olympic retirements, it doesn't feel void the way Worlds post Olympics potentially can. I was happy Worlds was in Canada for 2013 because a London-set worlds means it's likely that Virtue/Moir will stick it out to compete at home. But beyond that, I find the whole thing rather shrugworthy. In the end, it seems the politicking going on is pretty epic.

victoriaheidi
03-23-2011, 04:06 PM
No, excellent summary, victoriaheidi. You've done your schoolwork well!! :respec: But the fun stuff isn't quite over with yet. We now want you to write a three-page essay on how the selection of the new host for the 2011 World Figure Skating Championships will symbolize the contextual interdependence of economic, geographic, and/or cultural milieux. Of course, we will give you a few days to work on this, so you don't need to panic or anything! :D Creativity will count for the bulk of the scoring, but spelling, grammar, and punctuation will be considered as well. Please don't feel that you have to post your essay to the board, though--you could simply PM it to one of the admins. And if your essay totally rocks, you may be looking at a free season pass for next year!!!! ;)

Well, that would be great if we get a decision by Friday, but I'm not really holding my breath. Although I'd prefer to see Worlds in the U.S., as long as the ISU can make up its mind on some location, I'll be satisfied.

Haha. Sounds like AP Euro all over again. Kind of like a DBQ (Document-Based Question, in which you use supporting documents to write an essay based on a topic most students don't know anything about in the first place). ;-)

But I do agree-having Worlds in any of these locations is better than not having Worlds.

Andrey aka Pushkin
03-23-2011, 04:11 PM
In the meanwhile, France has passed an official proposal to ISU to move the 2012 Worlds from Nice to Japan.

The French Federation of Ice Sports has officially submitted to the council of the International Skating Union (ISU) and its President Ottavio Cinquanta the proposition that the 2012 World Championships in France originally planned to be held in Japan the same year.

"We all have a heart,"said President of the FFSG, and we stand with Japan, the Japanese as the Japan Skating Federation in these cruel moments that strike them and forbade them to hold the World 2011.

The solution we propose that the ISU could be such as to give the federation, leaving him more time for preparation, the possibility of recovering from serious current events.

We are confident that the ISU will find the right solutions for 2011 and subsequent years. "

Asli
03-23-2011, 04:17 PM
I didn't see this coming at all. :wuzrobbed

Whatever his motivation, I'm devastated. :drama:

victoriajh
03-23-2011, 04:25 PM
In the meanwhile, France has passed an official proposal to ISU to move the 2012 Worlds from Nice to Japan.

mm this is interesting- first off- will japan be ready to host a huge event in only 11 months? and second is france not feeling they can do it? why else would they give it up like that- i can see them suggesting that the next worlds ( not currenlty scheduled) go to japan- that makes more sense ot me- but this... :confused:

Eislauffan
03-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Apparently Moscow and Turku are the favorites:
http://newsticker.sueddeutsche.de/list/id/1130949 (in German).
Not a surprise here.

As for France offering Japan to host Worlds next year - maybe I'm cynical, but it could be an elegant way for France to bow out. They didn't even choose the venue yet.

Asli
03-23-2011, 04:34 PM
As for France offering Japan to host Worlds next year - maybe I'm cynical, but it could be an elegant way for France to bow out. They didn't even choose the venue yet.

Maybe they couldn't find enough sponsors. :(

I don't read a lot into their not choosing the venue yet, because the new option (Arena Montpellier) is a new venue that was opened in September 2010. It is supposed to be the only French venue better than Bercy. Maybe they had decided to change the venue to Montpellier but were negotiating with the municipality.

Frau Muller
03-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Phil's back on the 'hot line' with Speedy!

Just in -

olyphil Philip Hersh
Ottavio Cinquanta just told me ballot distribution to ISU council underway for vote on 2011 world figs sub host. Expects announcement Fri

Let's see...it's Wednesday evening in Lausanne...and he doesn't expect to announce until Friday. I guess that he is expecting it to go beyond one round. It will be dark smoke - Non Habemus Papam - for at least 24 hours.

Finnice
03-23-2011, 04:36 PM
I didn't see this coming at all. :wuzrobbed

Whatever his motivation, I'm devastated. :drama:

((((Asli))))

let`s talk
03-23-2011, 04:37 PM
I believe that English is NOT pani's first language so most of us cut the poster some slack. She would not be the first - nor last - to misspell someone's name. It's usually not a big deal to most of us.Glad to hear that my slack is granted :lol:. But it looks like you missed my point. I'll PM you, in order not to spam this notorious thread with offtopic insignificances.

the link to the new/improved visa registration process post 2007 does not make it sound any easier.

Absolutely
In fact it does. The new law of 2007 considerably changed the registration of foreigners. If you still choose the old OVIR way instead of visiting the nearest post office, it's your choice and therefore only your problem since it's not the government requirement anymore. Of course someone has the full right to whine that the registration exists in the first place. Or that the visa exists in the first place. One day I am sure both will be canceled, at least between the EU and Russia. The events like Oly in Sochi or World Cup can be good pushers. But all this is not the point now. Objectively getting a Russian visa is a significantly easier process than the US visa, even on a usual day. And anyone who has been through both processes knows that. Moreover, none of the US government bodies, either Obama, who is busy with a new war, or the US Customs with their nutjob visa requirements, is not going to create special rules to issue a bunch of visas on a short notice. While Russians have proved themselves of being more flexible in his particular field. So, in terms of visa, Russia seems like a better deal. Of course European countries are even much better since less countries need pre-arrival visas to enter the EU. But easier visa process is not the only thing that they must have in their possession in order to host the Worlds.
So, IF Russia does host Worlds from Apr. 25-May 5th, one has to wonder which skaters will be on the ice competing during the wedding of Prince William and Kate on April 29th?
Thanks for letting me know. I didn't realize that their wedding is on April 29th. Neither did many people of non-Anglo-Saxon world. I am sure there are many British too who don't give a s... about some royal wedding. Some of them are FS fans waiting for the Worlds :kickass:.

Sylvia
03-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Apparently Moscow and Turku are the favorites:
http://newsticker.sueddeutsche.de/list/id/1130949 (in German).
Not a surprise here.
Thanks for the update and link!

Judy
03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
I think it's just a gesture of politics on b/o the french as I suspect Japan will still be struggling with their situation next year. And really .. will the ISU take another chance on putting their premier event in a major earthquake zone? so soon after what has happened this year?