PDA

View Full Version : When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

4rkidz
03-22-2011, 02:18 AM
I can't drive anyone to Colorado Springs. Is that in the proposal?

I think Hersch said both Colorado Springs in late April and Lake Placid in early May were the US submissions :confused: So continue with your road trip plan ;) btw Lake Placid has 8500 seats.. so does meet the threshold..

jlai
03-22-2011, 02:32 AM
How many threads has it been now? :lol: Or are we just incrementing i+1? ;)

Somehow I misread it as "cremating it". :slinkaway

Allisanna
03-22-2011, 02:42 AM
I think Hersch said both Colorado Springs in late April and Lake Placid in early May were the US submissions :confused: So continue with your road trip plan ;) btw Lake Placid has 8500 seats.. so does meet the threshold..

According to this website it only seats 7,700. http://www.whiteface.com/facilities/oc.php

Every year the 7,700-seat 1980 Rink Herb Brooks Arena (named after the Miracle on Ice coach) hosts national and international figure skating competitions, USA Hockey events, Smuckers' Stars on Ice and other special events.

4rkidz
03-22-2011, 02:50 AM
According to this website it only seats 7,700. http://www.whiteface.com/facilities/oc.php

Maybe it's been renovated.. or that's the number with both rinks? Not sure :confused: scroll down.. or that's the number if a show at one end??

http://www.jamanv.com/projects/entertainment/

overedge
03-22-2011, 03:03 AM
Vancouver’s PNE Arena, site of the 2010 Olympic skating events, would have the inside track.

Uh, no. The Olympic skating events were held at the Pacific Coliseum. The "arena" at the PNE is the Agrodome.

But then this story comes from Ontario which is the centre of the universe, so I guess they don't need to get their facts right about anything in the rest of Canada.

Marco
03-22-2011, 03:47 AM
Does anyone know if Lepisto is changing her mind re: Worlds now that it's postponed (so she can have more time to heal her injury and practise) and likely to be in Europe or even Finland?

smartblade
03-22-2011, 03:54 AM
Uh, no. The Olympic skating events were held at the Pacific Coliseum. The "arena" at the PNE is the Agrodome.

But then this story comes from Ontario which is the centre of the universe, so I guess they don't need to get their facts right about anything in the rest of Canada.

no need to being sensitive. PNE Pacific National "Coliseum" can also be classified as an arena techincally just like agro"dome" can be classified as an arena. I'm sure everyone new the difference.

RFOS
03-22-2011, 04:00 AM
double post

RFOS
03-22-2011, 04:01 AM
Does anyone know if Lepisto is changing her mind re: Worlds now that it's postponed (so she can have more time to heal her injury and practise) and likely to be in Europe or even Finland?

Could she change her mind? She's no longer listed on the official entries site as an entry or a substitute. http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00007390.htm

I don't know if she'll be recovered enough anyway, but given the unusual circumstances it seems like there should be some process by which skaters who had withdrawn anticipating the March date could petition to be put back on the list if they will be healed enough by the new dates (though I'd also feel kind of bad for a skater who thought they were going to Worlds and was officially listed as being on the team but then got "bumped," who in this case would be Juulia Turkkila).

Pratfall
03-22-2011, 04:02 AM
:D The Coliseum and the Agrodme are practically next door to each other , but there's no comparison in size ,and the hockey team ( Giants) who call the Coliseum home are not, AFAIK, out of the playoffs .

Still, if the quote comes from Thompson, maybe he thinks there could be some kind of shuffle. But I always thought our offer of "help if needed" was a fail-safe, if-there's-no-other-viable-option kind of thing.

Vash01
03-22-2011, 04:07 AM
Cleveland, Ohio! We will never have to worry about a conflict with a playoff game here. (((Browns))) (((Cavs))) (((Indians))).

ROFL. It helps to have a sense of humor about it.:lol:

Vash01
03-22-2011, 04:09 AM
:D The Coliseum and the Agrodme are practically next door to each other , but there's no comparison in size ,and the hockey team ( Giants) who call the Coliseum home are not, AFAIK, out of the playoffs .

Still, if the quote comes from Thompson, maybe he thinks there could be some kind of shuffle. But I always thought our offer of "help if needed" was a fail-safe, if-there's-no-other-viable-option kind of thing.

Giants in Hockey? What league is this?

Visaliakid
03-22-2011, 04:15 AM
I believe someone posted in this extended thread that Finland does not have any Visas requirements. If that is true then that gives them a one up on both Russia and USA. However Finland will be holding the World Synchronized Skating Championships sometime during this same period, so this could be a drawback for a winning bid. Hopefully we will know the answer Friday.

Pratfall
03-22-2011, 04:17 AM
The Giants play in the WHL..one step down from the NHL . I've been to a few games..much more affordable, and pretty good hockey (Plus you almost feel you're on the ice with them in that building .They don't use the nosebleeds)

RE: Finland and Synchros ..OTOH, they would have a lot of the behind the scenes stuff already in place. If they went for April 18 there would just be a week or so (I think) between the two.

Sylvia
03-22-2011, 04:28 AM
2011 Synchro Worlds are April 8-9 in Helsinki.

ETA:

Could she [Laura Lepistö] change her mind? She's no longer listed on the official entries site as an entry or a substitute.
My guess is that anyone who officially withdrew from Worlds (and was on the original entries list as a competitor or an alternate) could be reinstated to compete if that's what they and their federation want.