PDA

View Full Version : When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

manhn
03-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Didn't the ISU show "respect" for the JSF by not staging Worlds in China, South Korea, etc as it would've been a slap in the face or something?

essence_of_soy
03-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Looking forward to the relocation announcement in the next few days.

If it's in Canada or the US, I can start booking flights, if it's in Russia or Greater Europe, I can check my TV Guide.

bek
03-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Frankly I think that Russia should get it. Considering their history in the sport, I'm frankly not sure they get enough events anyways. Its been six years since their last worlds. Oh and I know that they have the Olympics, but when you consider Vancover had 2006 worlds, and the Canadians are getting 2013 worlds...

Also while Russia may be difficult to get visas into, I think at this point it will be difficult for a lot of fans who might make the trip to make the trip. So they need to think about local support. And I think that given that the event will be in a huge city, in a country that loves skating, they should be able to get people to come.

essence_of_soy
03-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Frankly I think that Russia should get it. Considering their history in the sport, I'm frankly not sure they get enough events anyways. Its been six years since their last worlds. Oh and I know that they have the Olympics, but when you consider Vancover had 2006 worlds, and the Canadians are getting 2013 worlds...

Also while Russia may be difficult to get visas into, I think at this point it will be difficult for a lot of fans who might make the trip to make the trip. So they need to think about local support. And I think that given that the event will be in a huge city, in a country that loves skating, they should be able to get people to come.

I believe this was something instituted some time ago, and may have changed. But hosting used to be on a rotating basis between Europe, Canada, the U.S., and Asia, not individual countries.

When it was Europe's turn, for example, individual federations would make a bid which were then put to a vote.

If Canada hosts it will be quite ironic, in that they usually staged the championships every 5 to 6 years. When it was announced that Japan had won the event, Tokyo last hosted in 2007, and Calgary in 2006.

WildRose
03-22-2011, 11:41 PM
I don't care who hosts it, I'm just happy there is going to be a Worlds this year. My thanks to all the countries who stepped up and offered to fill in at the last minute.:respec:

Lacey
03-22-2011, 11:42 PM
This is a little bit OT, but I thought Bob Horen (US) had been appointed/elected to the ISU?

julieann
03-22-2011, 11:44 PM
I don't think anyones really considering the factor that it really was Japan's turn. During this tragedy Japan was forced to cancel an event they were planning to host. All the time invested not only in preparing to host the event all the preperations and training the athletes endured only to know that they won't be competiting on home soil. Even though Japan forfeited the right to host the championships, one might consider, where would Japan like it.

Japan won't like it anywhere except Japan. They just hosted worlds in 2002 and 2007 so they will get it again. It was a tragedy they couldn't control, it wasn't taken from them out of malice.

a56
03-22-2011, 11:45 PM
This is a little bit OT, but I thought Bob Horen (US) had been appointed/elected to the ISU?
Robert Horen has been a member of the ISU Ice Dancing Technical Committee since 2006 (6 members), which deals with ice dancing rules and regulations. That committee is separate from the ISU Council, which decides the allotment of events.

a56
03-22-2011, 11:48 PM
If Canada hosts it will be quite ironic, in that they usually staged the championships every 5 to 6 years. When it was announced that Japan had won the event, Tokyo last hosted in 2007, and Calgary in 2006.
I honestly thought Canada was going to get 2011 worlds, based on previous hosting patterns (5 years in between 1996 Edmonton and 2001 Vancouver, and 5 years in between 2001 Vancouver and 2006 Calgary). Then I thought, surely, they're going to get 2012 worlds, but that of course went to Nice, France. It turns out Skate Canada was waiting for the pre-Olympic worlds, which in retrospect, was probably the right thing to do since those pre-Olympics worlds are the most prestigious.

Asli
03-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Didn't the ISU show "respect" for the JSF by not staging Worlds in China, South Korea, etc as it would've been a slap in the face or something?

No, that idea was just Cinquanta's personal slap in the face to China and Korea. :blah:

allezfred
03-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Moscow and Vancouver are the only acceptable options from that list. Lake Placid is way too remote, Colorado Springs is at altitude and also not that easy to get to from outside U.S. While I'm sure the Finnish, Croatian and Austrian feds applied in good faith, I doubt whether they'd be able to organise such a large event in such a short time.

JerseySlore
03-23-2011, 12:27 AM
And don't you forget Taiwan. To think that I blindedly believed Japan and Taiwan had more or less cordial relationship :drama:

Sally1214
03-23-2011, 01:02 AM
According to Russian Figure Skating federation, its 25/04-01/05.
http://www.championat.ru/other/news-765546.html

Anyway, one-two day does not break it:)

So, IF Russia does host Worlds from Apr. 25-May 5th, one has to wonder which skaters will be on the ice competing during the wedding of Prince William and Kate on April 29th?

TV and online viewership could take quite a hit on that day.

bek
03-23-2011, 01:15 AM
I am not either, and I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if the other Russian posters aside from SUN are more than a little bit annoyed at the implications some posters have been throwing around.

Yeah. We figure skating fans should be grateful to any nation willing to take on this worlds. This worlds is going to be a headache and a lot of the benefits that come with hosting worlds aren't even going to be there. For a lot of the smaller federations, that's why I question them holding it.

Whatever the Russians reason, I think its great that they seem to be looking at hosting worlds an opportunity rather than a burden. And if they can find someway for it to benefit them, more power to them.

oleada
03-23-2011, 01:18 AM
So, IF Russia does host Worlds from Apr. 25-May 5th, one has to wonder which skaters will be on the ice competing during the wedding of Prince William and Kate on April 29th?

TV and online viewership could take quite a hit on that day.

Snooze-inducing, long, boring wedding :yawn: vs Figure skating :kickass:

Not a difficult choice. :shuffle: