PDA

View Full Version : Womens Olympic Gold Class vs Non Gold Class

Pages : [1] 2 3

judgejudy27
03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
It is interesting to wonder but if you put the Womens Olympic Gold class vs the best of the Non Gold class which is the stronger overall group.

Olympic Gold Team:

Madge Syder
Madga Julin
Herma Szabo
Sonja Henjie
Barbara Ann Scott
Jeanette Altwegg
Tenley Albright
Carol Heiss
Sjouke Dijkstra
Peggy Fleming
Trixi Schuba
Dorothy Hamil
Annett Poetzsch
Katarina Witt
Kristi Yamaguchi
Oksana Baiul
Tara Lipinski
Sarah Hughes
Shizuka Arakawa
Yu Na Kim

So that is 20 women. So lets say put them up against the best 20 skaters to never win the Olympic Gold medal. Mine would be something like this group:

Midori Ito
Mao Asada
Michelle Kwan
Irina Slutskaya
Cecilia Colledge
Karen Magnussen
Janet Lynn
Linda Fratianne
Denise Biellmann
Rosalynn Sumners
Debi Thomas
Elaine Zayak
Gaby Seyfert
Lu Chen
Yuka Sato
Maribel Vinson Owen
Christine Errrath
Sasha Cohen
Nancy Kerrigan
Aja Zanova

Which is the stronger overall group.

attyfan
03-21-2011, 09:15 PM
As determined by what rules? Are triples required? School figures?

Certainly, I think Michelle Kwan can jump rings around Henie ... but I don't know how good MK is at figures.

judgejudy27
03-21-2011, 09:33 PM
As determined by what rules? Are triples required? School figures?

Certainly, I think Michelle Kwan can jump rings around Henie ... but I don't know how good MK is at figures.

How about just overall which group in totality has made more impact on skating. There are alot of people from the figures era and non figures era on both lists so one could compare:

Henjie vs Colledge
Fleming and Hamill vs Lynn and Fratianne
Poetzsch vs Errath
Kwan and Asada and Ito vs Yamaguchi and Kim and Lipinski

I find it intriguing since I am pretty sure this is the only one of the 4 disciplines you could seriously ask such a question.

Macassar88
03-21-2011, 09:42 PM
I haven't really watched a lot of the older skaters skate, but I will go by olympics:

2010: Kim Yu-Na definitely outclassed everyone else in the Olympics.
2006: I'd have to go with the non-gold class here. I loved Sasha Cohen and Irina Slutskaya so much.
2002: Same with 2006 but tack on Michelle Kwan
1998: Difficult to decide. Still the non gold. (Kwan, Chen, and Bonaly's back flip to one foot beat Lipinski)
1994: I loved Oksana's short program. A little iffy about the LP, but I'd go with her over the rest
1992: Hard to say whether I preferred Yamaguchi or Ito (If she had done the triple axel triple toe along with the solo triple axel, it would have probably went to her)
Before that, I didn't really watch anything.

blue_idealist
03-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Who is Aja Zanova?

Cheylana
03-22-2011, 02:36 AM
1992: Hard to say whether I preferred Yamaguchi or Ito (If she had done the triple axel triple toe along with the solo triple axel, it would have probably went to her)
Ito was fourth after the short, so she still would have needed another skater to beat Kristi in the freeskate to get the gold (and she sure didn't get any help from the likes of Nancy, Tonya or Leticia Hubert!)

falling_dance
03-22-2011, 02:56 AM
Who is Aja Zanova?

Alena Vrzáňová (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alena_Vrzáňová), who won the 1949 and 1950 World titles.

judgejudy27
03-22-2011, 03:15 AM
I cant vote as I am pretty split.

neptune
03-22-2011, 04:17 AM
So lets say put them up against the best 20 skaters to never win the Olympic Gold medal. Mine would be something like this group:

Well, I'd definitely include Tonya Harding in there before I would Nancy Kerrigan. ;)

judgejudy27
03-22-2011, 04:26 AM
Sorry I forgot Harding. I also think Harding is a better skater than Kerrigan (although her contemporary Kerrigan obviously had the better career so is maybe the greater skater, but not really the better one). Still I definitely would take Vrzanova, Owen, or Errath off my top 20 list to make room for Harding in that case.

I also sort of wanted to include Kadavy even though I know her career doesnt justify it. She was a wonderful skater except for her lack of competitive nerve.

neptune
03-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Sorry I forgot Harding. I also think Harding is a better skater than Kerrigan (although her contemporary Kerrigan obviously had the better career so is maybe the greater skater, but not really the better one).

No problem. Nancy really only had the better career from '92 onward (overall), but even then, it's not like she was head and shoulders above Tonya most of the time (such as at '93 Nationals).

I also sort of wanted to include Kadavy even though I know her career doesnt justify it. She was a wonderful skater except for her lack of competitive nerve.

True.

PUNKPRINCESS
03-22-2011, 04:46 AM
As a group, non-gold class wins by a mile for me.

Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Janet Lynn, Yuka Sato, Midori Ito, Mao Asada, Lu Chen...

Macassar88
03-22-2011, 05:28 AM
Ito was fourth after the short, so she still would have needed another skater to beat Kristi in the freeskate to get the gold (and she sure didn't get any help from the likes of Nancy, Tonya or Leticia Hubert!)I mean my vote for favorite, not the gold

Cheylana
03-22-2011, 05:39 AM
I mean my vote for favorite, not the gold
Oh! :o :duh:

JamieSix
03-22-2011, 05:43 AM
Some of those kids just got lucky. *cough* Sarah *cough*

I'll take the non-gold class any day!