PDA

View Full Version : What should the ISU do to resurrect Figure Skating in the US and Europe?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

SkateFan66
03-26-2011, 01:30 AM
I have to defend poor Todd. I've seen him 3 times in local exhibitions (1994-2006) and he always brings his A game (triple axel et al). I'll admit he's not much on tv, but especially up close he's impressive physically and smiles like he's enjoying every minute of it. He never comes unprepared or with a technically watered-down number and the crowd responds.

I agree 100%! I saw Todd in SOI in 2010, the Caesar's Tribute, and SOI 2011 and he was fantastic. He skates with great speed, and he still has fantastic spins and jumps.

ks777
03-26-2011, 02:27 AM
1. Allow current music with vocal
2. Allow Backflip
3. bring in some famous singers during the zamboni time
4. Allow jeans or whatever the skaters want to wear
5. no more those feminine costumes on guys, no tight pants on guys allowed

falling_dance
03-26-2011, 02:31 AM

:shuffle:

gkelly
03-26-2011, 02:59 AM
2. Allow Backflip

How about allowing all these in the exhibitions? ;) Casual audiences who care more about this stuff than skating technique won't know the difference.

4 is already allowed -- the costume rules are not as strict as you think.
5 will not be forced on skaters -- the costume rules are not as strict as you want.

Triple Butz
03-26-2011, 03:01 AM
2. Allow Backflip

Right, because current popular pop singers don't ever wear form fitting tight clothes...:shuffle:

Do people really think pop vocals will make a difference in skating popularity? I don't. Classical music was just as "old fashioned" in the 80's and 90's as it is today, and skating was still popular. As much as I hate fluff pieces, I think the US needs to do more. We just need people to feel more connected and invested in our skaters.

skateboy
03-26-2011, 06:15 AM
I wonder how much Michelle Kwan has to do with the interest decline in the US? For years it seemed as if the biggest rivalry in figure skating was Michelle fans vs Michelle nonfans! With her absence, the object of this rivalry is gone, one side has no one to root for, while the other has no one to root against! ;)

I always knew that girl was trouble! ;)

Extranjera
03-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Figure skating isn't so popular in Europe and US because currently we don't have such "stars" like Yuna, Mao, Kwan or Slutskaya. If we have more single skaters who win competitions (especially ladies because this discipline has always been the most popular) Europeans and Americans will be much more interesing in fs.

And I agree with some of you that there should be more programs to current music like for example Takahashi's "Swan lake" ;) Programs like this one may attract the attention of young people.

loulou
03-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Figure skating isn't so popular in Europe and US because currently we don't have such "stars" like Yuna, Mao, Kwan or Slutskaya.

Or maybe vice versa.

Andrushka
03-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Popularity of skating in the US is in the lap of US Figure Skating.They were given suggestions in an open forum at GC from various delegates from all over the U.S.6 years ago(and I imagine at other times as well )and chose not to take any of them.

duane
03-26-2011, 04:30 PM
I don't know many stuffs and detailed rules or anything, but as a figure skating fan, that should not be happening. omg.
I never said to make it only about the jumps! Of course the other elements (both technical and artistic) play a role.

And, I don't think FS has or would suffer. Over the years, there have been countless skaters--both male and female--who combined the difficult jumps with grace and artistry.

Firefly123
03-26-2011, 06:00 PM
I never said to make it only about the jumps! Of course the other elements (both technical and artistic) play a role.

Careful. I made them a bit sensitive to this issue. (See old locked threads).:lol:

I for one agree with you, but to a more extreme degree. It is too bad there is not a way to combine the technical elements and "extreme" skating to form a "different" less artistic more athletic type of event. (Of course, as was pointed out to me last time, this would not be "figure" skating per se.) The way I look at it, ice dance emphasizes beautiful edges and artistic interpretation over jumps/spins. Too bad there isn't a discipline on the other side stressing jumps/spins over edges/art. (A kind of "extreme" skating event.) I also did inline and have spoken to teen boys on the skatepark (skaterbois) who do skateboarding/inline on ramp jumps and they really did admire my 360s and 720s. I spoke to them and found that most would be interested in an "extreme" type sport (even on ice), but the "artistic" side turns them off....WAY off. :(

Point is that I actually asked teen boys and this is what they said they would be interested in.

sarakimm
03-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Well, I think it would help very much if the US had stars like MK, Cohen in the future. There's a lack of strong personalities that will attract audiences attention. There's Johnny Weir, but unfortunately his priority is no longer skating.

I find all of this appreciation for Johnny Weir's personality amusing. Where were all of you when he was being vilified by his own federation and openly ridiculed by fellow skaters and coaches? The USFSA couldn't wait to get rid of him and openly preferred Mr Boring who can barely carry on an interview or express an opinion. Evan, Rachael, Jeremy, and most of the rest are so incredibly BORING both on and off the ice. I don't want people getting scored on personality, but I feel that individuality and creativity is totally undervalued right now.

As to what could the ISU do.....get rid of Ottavio!!!!! Stop letting all the old men make the decisions if you want to attract a younger audience.

Civic
03-29-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm old school-I don't like vocals in competitive skating. :/

Neither do I. I still think it's a mistake to allow them in the original dance and free dance. IMO, the reason most figure skaters choose boring music is because they and their coaches aren't very knowledgeable about music. Music has to fit several requirements in order to be effective skating music:

1) It must lend itself to linear (as opposed to vertical) movement.

2) It must be at a beat the skater can maintain.

3) You must be able to discern the melody and flow despite music cuts.

4) The skater must be able to effectively interpret it.

That's a tall order to fill. I suspect that most skaters and their coaches don't have strong music backgrounds. Their knowledge of musical genres is probably limited to western classical music standards and pop music produced within their lifetimes. When you combine limited knowledge of music with eligible skating music requirements, you wind up with the overuse of certain musical warhouses like "Carmen" or "Otonal".

Triple Butz
03-29-2011, 01:43 AM
Neither do I. I still think it's a mistake to allow them in the original dance and free dance. IMO, the reason most figure skaters choose boring music is because they and their coaches aren't very knowledgeable about music. Music has to fit several requirements in order to be effective skating music:

1) It must lend itself to linear (as opposed to vertical) movement.

2) It must be at a beat the skater can maintain.

3) You must be able to discern the melody and flow despite music cuts.

4) The skater must be able to effectively interpret it.

That's a tall order to fill. I suspect that most skaters and their coaches don't have strong music backgrounds. Their knowledge of musical genres is probably limited to western classical music standards and pop music produced within their lifetimes. When you combine limited knowledge of music with eligible skating music requirements, you wind up with the overuse of certain musical warhouses like "Carmen" or "Otonal".

I agree with pretty much everything. I think another big problem is that many skaters, coaches, and choreographers go looking for music by watching old skating programs, rather than going through hundreds of CDs or better yet, going to hear live concerts.

victoriaheidi
03-29-2011, 04:57 AM

Hmm, maybe I could earn some money by advising coaches on classical music? ;)