PDA

View Full Version : "Skaters Care: A Benefit for Japan Tsunami Relief" April 3rd in Ontario, California

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Anita18
04-04-2011, 03:47 PM
I thought Doug Razzano's "Fix You" program was really beautiful. I have a soft spot for Doug's skating and love his more artistic programs like this one. Adam and Jeremy were absolutely fabulous as always, and they (and Sean and Ricky) had quite a contingent of screaming fangirls in the corner of the arena. :lol: Sean did his MJ SP, which is so much fun, and he skated it really well (crowd loved it). Ricky closed out the show with his SP ("Elena" - I think), and he brought down the house. He's looking great - very prepared. His jumps were wonderful, as usual, and the expression in the program was the best I've seen all year.

Wonderful show! I second the :cheer::cheer::cheer: for those who put this together. And a special :cheer: to Citizens Business Bank Arena for donating the venue.
From my seat, Doug Razzano was the spitting image of Jeff Buttle (same frame, same hair, similar facial structure, similar style of skating/choreo), and when he skated to Jeff's music from way back when, I went :lol: and figured I'd pretend he was Jeff and that'd make my night. :lol:

I went :cheer: when I saw Adam's hair growing back! And yeah, he and Jeremy certainly had their screaming fangirl contingent. :lol: LOVED Jeremy's exhibition, it was so entertaining! I'd never seen Sean skate, but he brought the house down! Ricky was pretty awesome as well, and very witty - John Baldwin said Ricky likes to say he holds the record for sleeping in on Saturdays, and asked how he'd handle that with Worlds coming up. Ricky replied, "Hope it's not on a Saturday!" :rofl:

My bf looked up every once in a while from his iPhone and actually recognized Daisuke Murakami from Skate America. :rofl:

The arena donated the venue? How :kickass: of them!

crzesk8dad
04-04-2011, 05:25 PM
From my seat, Doug Razzano was the spitting image of Jeff Buttle (same frame, same hair, similar facial structure, similar style of skating/choreo), and when he skated to Jeff's music from way back when, I went :lol: and figured I'd pretend he was Jeff and that'd make my night. :lol:

I went :cheer: when I saw Adam's hair growing back! And yeah, he and Jeremy certainly had their screaming fangirl contingent. :lol: LOVED Jeremy's exhibition, it was so entertaining! I'd never seen Sean skate, but he brought the house down! Ricky was pretty awesome as well, and very witty - John Baldwin said Ricky likes to say he holds the record for sleeping in on Saturdays, and asked how he'd handle that with Worlds coming up. Ricky replied, "Hope it's not on a Saturday!" :rofl:

My bf looked up every once in a while from his iPhone and actually recognized Daisuke Murakami from Skate America. :rofl:

The arena donated the venue? How :kickass: of them!

Thank you all for attending, it was a wonderful afternoon, even if it was more "intimate" than we hoped for. The skaters were fantastic, the spectators were very supportive (especially those girls in the front row at the entrance end, by boys loved their enthusiasm!) and the arena was terrific. Yes, the arena was donated (except for a small amount to cover the hourly of their staff), the skater's skating was donated by them, the food for the skaters was donated, the air transportation was largely donated (AA), the hotel (Holiday Inn-Ontario) was donated, the medical staff was donated (Prime Healthcare). It was really nice to see people all come together for a great cause.

While we didn't make as much $$ as we would have liked (is it ever enough?), it appears that we will clear something in the five digits, which is more than Japan and their suffering had yesterday.

Thank you all for your support, attendance, and a special thanks to those of you who made outside donations, as well. :saint:

This whole event reminded me that people are inherently good, they just need an opportunity to show it.

NONKO
04-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks billions, everyone.
We Japanese really appreciate your support from all over the world.:)

Sugar64
04-04-2011, 07:01 PM
My family and I had a great time!!!
Unfortunately it was on the same day as the Los Angeles FSC's Spring Fling so I know a lot of LAFSC members couldn't come to this show. That's why I'm so impressed with the LA Ice Theater for performing in both!!! Kudos to the skaters, parents and coaches of LAIT for making that hectic schedule work.
I also tried to spread the word around to non-skating friends but there were a lot of preschool fundraisers this weekend and many families thought it would be difficult to work a drive to Ontario into their schedules.

I didn't take any notes and had trouble concentrating since I had an awful headache but here it goes.... This isn't in any particular order.

The Opening was moving for me. The skaters brought out a Japanese flag and that made me tear up a little. I believe Karen Kwan Oppegard choreographed it and the Finale too.

LA Ice Theater skated "Bohemian Rhapsody". The make up and costumes just added to the amazing skating. I LOVE this team and have been a fan since they first started. The kids work so well together. No wonder they've won so many national and international awards.

Nick LaRoche skated to "Let It Be" from the "Across The Universe" soundtrack. Loved his costume! Sheer black shirt with a red heart on the chest. Yummy. He's very fit. :)

Vanessa Lam skated to "Time To Say Goodbye". My 3-yr old was mesmerized.

Runa Maeda and Spencer Howe are young singles skaters and skated to Bruno Mars's version of "Just The Way You Are". So cute!! I think they both competed in Jr. Nationals in SLC recently.

Sean Rabbit - Michael Jackson medley. Flashy and fun.

I don't remember what Derrick Delmore and Parker Pennington skated to but enjoyed watching them. They move across the ice well and I wish I could skate like that! I'm so glad they were in the show, they brought an emotion and artistry the young kids don't have yet.

Jeremy Abbott skated his exhibition with the hat. The hat didn't want to cooperate but he worked that into the program really well. Very charming. He's cut his hair so short!!

Adam Rippon. I was SO looking forward to seeing him and now my mind's a blank. I can't remember what he skated to! BAD skating fan...

Caroline Zhang skated a Latin number. Her Libertango SP?

The syncro team was great too! It was my first time to see it live. I can't imagine how many hours of practice it takes for so many skaters to move as one.

Daisuke Murakami - again, a blank on the music but it was FUN, FUN, FUN!! He took off his jacket part way into the program and my son was concerned through the rest of the program that he'd forget it on the ice. LOL

Bebe Liang and Braden Overett - they looked like they were having so much fun skating together. Bebe looked gorgeous with her hair down and was smiling from ear to ear. I didn't know Braden was an award winning choreographer.

That's all I can think of right now. I had trouble concentrating with this awful cold.

Oh! The short track skating was cool! They took turns racing individually and as a team and I wanted to cheer, but my throat hurt too much.

After the show, the skaters made their way around the ice to talk, sign t-shirts and pose for photos.

We had to go outside to meet a friend behind the arena where the buses/skaters entrance was. Sean Rabbit came out and talked to us in fluent Japanese! My son had a great time chatting with him. He woke up this morning asking, "Are we going to see skating again? Where's Sean?" LOL

Anyway, we had a great time. A BIG thank you to the organizers and the companies who donated for a cause close to my heart.

skatesindreams
04-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Crzesk8dad, Thank you for doing so much for the show!

YukiNieve
04-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Crzesk8dad, thank you so much for you support on this charity!!

Garden Kitty
04-04-2011, 10:38 PM
:respec: to Sean, Crzesk8dad and everyone involved in putting on (or supporting) this show.

Pretty Vegas
04-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Ricky was pretty awesome as well, and very witty - John Baldwin said Ricky likes to say he holds the record for sleeping in on Saturdays, and asked how he'd handle that with Worlds coming up. Ricky replied, "Hope it's not on a Saturday!" :rofl:

:rofl::rofl: He's quickly becoming my favorite.

Roxanne
04-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Are there any videos yet?

Sylvia
04-05-2011, 03:37 PM
So far I've only come across a video of Jeremy Abbott's "hat" number (shot from afar): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgVqQArXjJE

Sylvia
04-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Here are some photos (mostly on ice): http://web.icenetwork.com/gen/photogallery/year_2011/month_04/day_06/cf17430250.html
(Vincent Zhou is the Intermediate Men's champion, coached by Tammy Gambill)

crzesk8dad
04-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Are there any videos yet?

There is an official video, shot by Hurd Video. However, due to numerous legal and copyright restrictions, it probably will not be available for sale.

However, we are looking into other options and if they become a reality, we will let the world know.

FYI, we netted for the American Red Cross $11K, plus another $1.5K in outside donations, not quite the amount we were shooting for, but considering this event was thrown together in 2 to 3 weeks time, a successful effort (plus a fun afternoon of skating).

Thank you all for your support.

AnnM
04-07-2011, 01:09 AM
FYI, we netted for the American Red Cross $11K, plus another $1.5K in outside donations, not quite the amount we were shooting for, but considering this event was thrown together in 2 to 3 weeks time, a successful effort (plus a fun afternoon of skating).

All of you did a tremendous job in such a short amount of time! :respec:

lovesdance
04-07-2011, 01:14 AM

Thank you all for your support.

That's wonderful! :cheer2: It was indeed a very fun afternoon of skating. More importantly (as you mentioned upthread), it was nice to see so many people come together to make this happen in such a short time. :)

Polymer Bob
04-07-2011, 03:54 AM
So far I've only come across a video of Jeremy Abbott's "hat" number (shot from afar): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgVqQArXjJE

"The only U.S. man to EVER win a Grand Prix Final competition"? :confused: