PDA

View Full Version : Do federations take a cut of eligible skaters' appearance fees?

Frau Muller
03-18-2011, 01:35 PM
I ran into this interesting article overnight:

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sp20090913it.html

...in which the Reeds' mom reveals that the JSF takes a whoppin' 20% cut of their skaters' appearance fees in shows. Quote from article:

Even more disturbing are some of the details Noriko Reed revealed about the way the JSF operates, lifting the curtain on skating's dark side.

"They take 20 percent of the appearance fee when skaters take part in a show even if they had nothing to do with arranging it," she claims.

Do the USFSA, Skate Canada, the Russians and other federations do this too? In turn, does the ISU collect fees from federations for similar endeavors (for 'sanctioned' shows and other money-making endeavors)?

Thanks, in advance...and if there's a past thread on this subject, please direct us to it.

GarrAarghHrumph
03-18-2011, 01:46 PM
As I understand, this varies by federation. For example, I've heard (others can confirm) that China takes the entire fee, or at least much of it - and if you think about it, that makes some sense, not only due to their form of government, but also because of how their sports are organized. They provide everything for their athletes from around age 6-10 right up through retirement from the sport, including housing, food, training, etc. But others more in the know on that one should correct me if I'm mis-remembering.

The USFS's policy is stated in the article you linked to.

iris81
03-18-2011, 01:54 PM
I read somewhere that russian skaters pay 10% of their prize money to federation.

Asli
03-18-2011, 02:01 PM
I read somewhere that russian skaters pay 10% of their prize money to federation.

This is from prize money from competitions, not from their show appearances.

B.Cooper
03-18-2011, 02:12 PM
USFS has skaters and vendors/sponsors/shows, etc., sign ESCAs....Eligible Skater Compensation Agreements.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/ESCA.pdf

Frau Muller
03-18-2011, 04:56 PM
USFS has skaters and vendors/sponsors/shows, etc., sign ESCAs....Eligible Skater Compensation Agreements.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/ESCA.pdf

So the skater pays 10% to USFSA up to a maximum of $150, from what I can tell in the contract. The "maximum of $150" part is nice...not like some of the other feds.

Thanks, all, for the info thus far.

Sylvia
03-18-2011, 05:17 PM
No, the US skaters do not pay the ESCA fee; the show or tour organizers are responsible for paying the ESCA fee. However, a percentage of the US skaters' show fees are deducted for taxes depending on the country in which the show is held.

ETA: This came up yesterday, and it is my understanding that the ISU does not take a cut of any show or tour fees earned by the eligible skaters.

sandra_persch
03-18-2011, 08:04 PM
So the skater pays 10% to USFSA up to a maximum of $150, from what I can tell in the contract. The "maximum of $150" part is nice...not like some of the other feds.

Thanks, all, for the info thus far.

I know the German Federation gets a cut of both appearance fees and prize money. I think its about 10% for senior skaters but I can't find it on their homepage right now.

mmot
03-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Just to clarify - the Reeds are classified as 特別強化指定選手 (not sure how to translate but it means that they are classified as 'the top athlete' by the JSF and thus under special measures to be supported in various ways). This means they receive monthly income (I read that up to 200,000 yen for the athlete and 100,000 for the coach are paid), and the expenses for participating competitions when representing Japan - travelling, accommodation, etc - are paid by the JSF. The JSF also sometimes financially contribute towards expense for travelling abroad for training camps or choreography.

I am not sure how other federations operate, but as for Japan, the contributions made by the top athletes, who receive invitations to appear in shows, are at least part redistributed to the athletes themselves, not only to the top-tier ones themselves but also to others who are either not famous or old enough to earn money by simply being figure skaters, or when injury etc prevents them from earning money on and off season.

It is wrong to think that the skaters are just losing out completely.

The Observer
03-21-2011, 06:17 AM
I think Skate Canada takes 5-10%