PDA

View Full Version : New York Times Announces Digital Subcriptions

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

soxxy
03-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Starting March 28, non-subscribers will be able to read only 20 online articles for free each month.

Home delivery subscribers can continue to access online and app content for free. Non-subscribers can choose from three packages: $15 per month for Web access and smartphone content; $20 for Web plus access to the Times iPad app; and $35 for Web, tablet and smartphone access.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/17/technology/new_york_times_paywall/
www.nytimes.com

I remember the Times tried subscription for a portion of its content a few years ago (Times Select?). They abandoned it after what seemed like less than a year.

Buzz
03-17-2011, 05:16 PM
I LOVE the NYTimes and will most certainly subscribe! :D

BittyBug
03-17-2011, 05:19 PM
I remember the Times tried subscription for a portion of its content a few years ago (Times Select?). They abandoned it after what seemed like less than a year.Yes. A few years ago subscriptions were less common, so it will be interesting to see if this time it takes hold.

Aceon6
03-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Not sure I'm ready to shell out close to $200 a year ($15 every 4 weeks, not every month) for the Times on my iPhone. I love the app, but BBC's is just as good.

overedge
03-17-2011, 05:44 PM
I get the Sunday NTTimes but they just fired all the really good regular writers in their Sunday magazine (the ethics columnist, the recipes columnist, the language/linguistics columnist, the weekly interview columnist). And redesigned the magazine to, as far as I can tell, make it look reallu ugly and cluttered. I hope the writers didn't get canned to raise money to run the digital subscriptions program :(

orbitz
03-17-2011, 05:59 PM
20 free online articles for NYTimes is plenty enough for me. There are plenty of other fishes in the sea to get my news from.

agalisgv
03-17-2011, 07:09 PM
I don't understand the pricing scale. Obviously it's cheaper to run an online only publication than to produce hard copies. But the NY Times home delivery price is cheaper than the online subscription. Plus with the home delivery price, you get online access thrown in for free. Doesn't make sense to me.

BittyBug
03-17-2011, 07:22 PM
But the NY Times home delivery price is cheaper than the online subscription. Plus with the home delivery price, you get online access thrown in for free. Doesn't make sense to me.Home delivery is $7.40 per week for the introductory period, and then $14.80 thereafter (the newsstand price is $2 per copy). The most expensive digital subscription option (which includes smartphone and table access) is $35 every 4 weeks. That's 50% cheaper than home delivery, and if you go with the basic access at $15 for every 4 weeks, it's 75% cheaper than home delivery.

Jenny
03-17-2011, 07:32 PM
I get the Sunday NTTimes but they just fired all the really good regular writers in their Sunday magazine (the ethics columnist, the recipes columnist, the language/linguistics columnist, the weekly interview columnist). And redesigned the magazine to, as far as I can tell, make it look reallu ugly and cluttered. I hope the writers didn't get canned to raise money to run the digital subscriptions program :(

Agree that the design is ugly - but I was happy that it made the numbers in puzzles easier to read!

I'll miss Amanda Hesser, not sure if all the other food columnists and writers are gone, but Mark Bittman is a good food writer so I'm happy we've gained him.

Do you have Amanda's new New York Times cookbook? It's outstanding.

agalisgv
03-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Home delivery is $7.40 per week for the introductory period Hmm, where I live it's $3 something.

Jenny
03-17-2011, 08:07 PM
For those of us who live outside the US, the home delivery subscription is very pricey, and in our experience, can be unreliable. The online subscription sounds like a good option for a lot of international readers.

The Sunday edition alone is about $8.50 in Canada, bought at the newstand.

agalisgv
03-17-2011, 08:31 PM
The Sunday edition alone is about $8.50 in Canada, bought at the newstand. Wow! I had no idea...

BittyBug
03-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Hmm, where I live it's $3 something.Wow, it never occurred to me that the cost of home delivery would vary by location since the newsstand price of the newspaper is uniform across the country - $2.

agalisgv
03-17-2011, 10:37 PM
An article detailing the fuzzy math involved:
http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2011/03/17/the-nyt-paywall-arrives/

barbk
03-17-2011, 11:26 PM
I don't get the pricing. I probably would have paid a $59/year subscription fee, but not $200. They tried overpricing once before and it didn't stick; I don't expect this will either.