PDA

View Full Version : How well has Ottavio Cinquanta handled the issues relating to the 2011 Worlds

Pages : 1 [2]

Aussie Willy
03-19-2011, 09:34 AM
My vote: "As well as circumstances allowed."

I'm no fan of Speedy, but I'm :rolleyes: that folks are using a natural disaster, of all things, to criticize him. Who the feck would be able to move quickly and please everyone under such unforeseen circumstances?
ITA

essence_of_soy
03-19-2011, 10:07 AM
As the head of an organisation that has, for all intents and purposes, had to go into damage control, making a decision that has to please everyone will almost be impossible.

Fortunately, the few media people that have been able to gain access to the ISU, have kept us up to date as best they can.

Already, millions of potential earning dollars for the JSF and the ISU have been lost due to the cancellation of Worlds in Tokyo.

The athletes' training schedule is in limbo, tickets need to be refunded and resold, flights and hotels cancelled, television has had to be rescheduled, finding a new venue and support team quickly needs to be negotiated. Under normal circumstances, the creation of an event this size is many months in the making.

It's a nightmare, and certainly neither a quick fix or a five minute decision, because in the end, everyone has to be on the same page, or at least, agree to a line of best fit.

Having worked in an event planning situation recently that worked but with decisions that were made going to the wire, for something to go this wrong would be a tremendous burden to carry.