PDA

View Full Version : Whose been the best since Katarina Witt retired?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

lakewood
03-26-2011, 04:05 AM
I don't think she has moved ladies skating to new level in terms of aesthetics. In fact, I don't think anyone has managed to do that since Michelle Kwan.

YuNa amalgamated aestics and athleticism into one, which is a new level that didn't exist in ladies skating before her.

lakewood
03-26-2011, 04:06 AM
for me, Midori definitely revolutionized Ladies skating. Also the only skater to really got me emotional watching her skate was Michelle Kwan. She really is the only skater who brought tears to my eyes. I never was a huge fan of her. Yuna is great at 3lutz/3toe and 3 flip but she never touched me with her programs. I thik she can be the greatest of all time but I don't think she is there yet. I think Michelle was a more complete jumper than Yuna because she landed so many programs without mistakes. She had many clean 7 triple programs. Artistically I think Yuna can improve so much. She can work on extentions and turning out her foot. I just think her positions on her foot is awkward even when just skating around or doing a step sequence or doing a spin. If you watch someone like Kwan or Yuka Sato, the way Yuna(sometimes Asada too) moves her feet are sometimes awkward to me. Is it just me?

Artistry in skating is not about the feet.

VIETgrlTerifa
03-26-2011, 05:08 AM
She could also work on her musicality too.

Robeye
03-26-2011, 10:30 AM
I confess that I don't quite understand this comment. If what is meant by musicality is clarity of attack and articulation, fluidity, and consonance of movement with the music's beat, emphasis, and mood (which have their analogies with playing a musical instrument, like the piano or violin), then Yuna's musicality is now among the best, and has been since the 2009 season beginning with Danse Macabre.

These clips of her recent practice, with Giselle music cuts added by the viewers (which may have been posted elsewhere, but which I include as illustration) demonstrate what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n10utIKGeAc&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju8BRmPcepQ

Given the somewhat gnomic brevity of your comment ;), it's possible that you have some specific things in mind, and I'm just not getting what it is that your getting at. If you'd care to expand on it, I'd be interested in knowing what you're trying to say.

Aren
03-26-2011, 11:02 AM
I voted Yu-Na! She is AMAZING SKATER.

Robeye
03-26-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't think she has moved ladies skating to new level in terms of aesthetics. In fact, I don't think anyone has managed to do that since Michelle Kwan.
Again, even the tiniest bit of explanation along with the declarative statement would really help people like me in both comprehension and discussion. :) Otherwise, I feel like a yeshiva student struggling with his exegesis.

In my view, what causes a Michelle Kwan to say that Yuna has "changed the face of figure skating" is that she is perhaps the first (but not, I think the last) ladies skater to have successfully juggled the arcane COP equation such that the outcome approaches maximization of the current physical/technical potential (as codified in the technical score) without sacrificing a truly high artistic level.

IMO, attempting to strain out and isolate overall artistic quality (as opposed to comparison of individual elements or skills, which haven't changed) specifically to make valuative comparisons with skaters who performed under different conceptual regimes (eg 6.0) is difficult at best, and wildly misleading at worst.

It would be akin to taking two athletes, putting 20 pound weights on the legs of one while hanging them to the wrists of the other. Relatively speaking, the former won't run as fast, and the latter wouldn't make a good boxer. In my view, it is equally erroneous to say, on the one hand, that Michelle didn't have it in her to jump great 3-3s as it is to say that Yuna's artistic achievements cannot at least be compared to Michelle's if, in some figure skating heaven, we could see both at their peaks and training and performing under the same parameters.

jatale
03-26-2011, 12:23 PM
YuNa amalgamated aestics and athleticism into one, which is a new level that didn't exist in ladies skating before her.

Excellently said! That was what I was trying to say but you said it much better, thank you.

miki88
03-26-2011, 12:52 PM
:eek: Wow at how much Yuna's votes shot up overnight!

Again, even the tiniest bit of explanation along with the declarative statement would really help people like me in both comprehension and discussion. :) Otherwise, I feel like a yeshiva student struggling with his exegesis.

It's a declarative statement out of personal opinion, which I don't think I need to elaborate on. And eloquence doesn't necessarily erase subjectivity, since all posts here are essentially opinions. ;)

l'etoile
03-26-2011, 01:37 PM

One of the most repeated compliments on Yuna is her musicality.

Seriously?!

Robeye
03-26-2011, 02:41 PM
:eek: Wow at how much Yuna's votes shot up overnight!

It's a declarative statement out of personal opinion, which I don't think I need to elaborate on. And eloquence doesn't necessarily erase subjectivity, since all posts here are essentially opinions. ;)
I would never dispute your right to post whatever pleases you, madame ;).

But if all is subjective, and simple declaration the norm, wouldn't posts merely be an exercise in talking to (and about) ourselves?

orbitz
03-26-2011, 03:13 PM
One of the most repeated compliments on Yuna is her musicality.

Seriously?!

Yes. Yun could definitely work more on her interpretation and feeling of the music. Yuna's Olympic LP was a snooze. Her Schez was pleasant but nothing memorable, inspite of the praise that Sandra Bezic heaped on it; Not sure what Sandra was smoking.

Yuna has some nice programs in the past. I liked her Bond SP. But I think her nice programs are just that: very nice, very pleasant to watch, but nothing that made me stand up and go "WoW!".

Jammers
03-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Kim hasn't dominated skating like Kwan did in her heydey or for nearly as long. Plus Kwan could be counted to skate clean in almost every event she was in. Kim has skated clean once i believe at the Olympics but otherwise she's not nearly as consistent as Michelle was.

VarBar
03-26-2011, 03:59 PM
To be great you have to be revolutionary.

To me, a great skater is simply a skater I enjoy watching over and over without getting bored. No completely new type of jump for instance Elvis Stojko would have been able to come up with would have made me fall in love with his skating and call it great skating.

melonmelon
03-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Love Michelle !!

lakewood
03-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Yes. Yun could definitely work more on her interpretation and feeling of the music. Yuna's Olympic LP was a snooze. Her Schez was pleasant but nothing memorable, inspite of the praise that Sandra Bezic heaped on it; Not sure what Sandra was smoking.

Yuna has some nice programs in the past. I liked her Bond SP. But I think her nice programs are just that: very nice, very pleasant to watch, but nothing that made me stand up and go "WoW!".

Everybody has his/her taste. Fortunately, there are many skating fans who were extremely enthusiastic with YuNa's performances.

Kim hasn't dominated skating like Kwan did in her heydey or for nearly as long. Plus Kwan could be counted to skate clean in almost every event she was in. Kim has skated clean once i believe at the Olympics but otherwise she's not nearly as consistent as Michelle was.
Kwan skated in the era when skating clean was most important to winning and YuNa skates in the era when obtaining points is most important to winning. Both did what they should do to win. YuNa hasn't skated clean as many times as Kwan did, but Kwan never jumped as high as YuNa does.