PDA

View Full Version : What should happen to the Age Eligibility Rules

Pages : [1] 2 3

Maofan7
03-17-2011, 06:34 AM
Adelina Sotnikova and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva will not be eligible to compete in Worlds until 2013. Mao Asada was unable to compete at the 2006 Olympics. Why? Because of the Age Eligibility Rules. Is it time for the rules to be scrapped or amended? Or should they remain the same?

BaileyCatts
03-17-2011, 06:50 AM
:shuffle: I think it should be you have to be 16 by July 1 of start of season to compete on senior level. I shall run away now. :scream:

neptune
03-17-2011, 07:01 AM
I think the age limit should be raised to 21, and skaters should be forced to show their IDs to the judges. ;)

genevieve
03-17-2011, 07:10 AM
I think no one should be allowed to wear skates until they hit puberty. Even for purely recreational skating.

Jot the Dot Dot
03-17-2011, 08:17 AM
I think the Novice Skaters in China should first get permission from their employers at WalMart.

RumbleFish
03-17-2011, 09:55 AM
I actually think age rules should be strengthened, and current rules for ISU championships should be applied to Gran Prix as well. This might discourage people from complaining so much about age rules.

briancoogaert
03-17-2011, 10:36 AM
I think young skaters shouldn't do any jumps, to concentrate on pure basic skating.

MikiAndoFan#1
03-17-2011, 10:43 AM
:shuffle: I think it should be you have to be 16 by July 1 of start of season to compete on senior level. I shall run away now. :scream:

Don't run away! :lol: I have the same opinion as you. :D

FigureSpins
03-17-2011, 12:26 PM

I actually think age rules should be strengthened, and current rules for ISU championships should be applied to Gran Prix as well. This might discourage people from complaining so much about age rules.
ITA Consistency is a good thing.
There should be age disclosure at the lower test levels, to track skater progress.

aliceanne
03-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Don't run away! :lol: I have the same opinion as you. :D

I'm curious as to why you and Figure Spins support age rules. The official justification is to protect young skaters from over-training developing bodies, but as we see it has in practice done nothing to discourage that. Young skaters learn and practice triple jumps as soon as they can.

I agree that it is concerning that young children should be consumed by what is essentially a professional sports career at an age when they can't make independent decisions or forsee the long-term consequences of the choices made for them.

However, the reality is that it is happening anyway, and with the current technical requirements of the sport a lot of girls are peaking and burning out at 15 or 16. Is it fair to them not to be able to compete in the top competitions when they, according to the rules, are the best competitors? Also what does it mean for the OGM or World Champion if the best are excluded from competition?

What kind of career would Michelle Kwan, Tara Lipinski, or Sonja Henie have had if these rules were in plance when they competed?

danceronice
03-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Well, in Tara's case, might have been longer as she might not have demolished her hip trying to be the little jumping star while she was still tiny and had 'cute' going for her.

And what does it mean for medals? It means the winners are the BEST ELIGIBILE. Same as other sports with ages and qualifying criteria.

Sasha'sSpins
03-17-2011, 02:21 PM
I think young skaters shouldn't do any jumps, to concentrate on pure basic skating.

I think so too! Actually, I think they should be made to do school figures 4 hours a day until they're 13 or 14 at least!:D

ETA: I am actually of the opinion that the age rule should be lowered. I think that an exception should be made going into a Worlds or Olympics for athletes who are clearly their country's best. Some of the Olympics greatest stars were children in their teens like Henie, and Comaneci. An athlete shouldn't be punished because they happen to be younger than someone whose just not as good as they are and their birthday didn't fall into an Olympic year. It's just not fair imo.

leafygreens
03-17-2011, 06:43 PM
The age rules should STAY. It is not fair to get rid of the age rules just to favor two up and coming pixies.

bek
03-17-2011, 07:18 PM
The age rules should STAY. It is not fair to get rid of the age rules just to favor two up and coming pixies.

I think there are a lot of countries who would like the age rules to change. Its not like the US has never had and will never again have talented pixies. The Japanese too. And after the ridiculousness that exists with China's age cheating.

Oh maybe some will fight it since it will help Russian pixies. But once their pixies come up, they'll be asking for a change too.

aliceanne
03-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Well, in Tara's case, might have been longer as she might not have demolished her hip trying to be the little jumping star while she was still tiny and had 'cute' going for her.

And what does it mean for medals? It means the winners are the BEST ELIGIBILE. Same as other sports with ages and qualifying criteria.

I think it is more likely that Tara's career would have ended at the junior level if there had been age restrictions. I've never heard of a skater who could do triples saving themselve for later. If they are worried about permanent damage they usually quit.

I think the real issue is that Olympic sports have morphed from amateur recreational sports to professional careers. There really isn't much difference between elite skating and signing on with the NFL or NBA now that the skaters can get paid for skating. The only difference is child labor laws don't apply.