PDA

View Full Version : As for the Worlds, JSF started to coordinate so as to hold in Japan in this autumn.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

mmot
03-19-2011, 11:22 PM
I think that it is not wise attitude to deny even an idea or a proposal before a decision is accomplished when we solve some problem and that we should not conjecture that a cunning plot or moneymaking may have been hidden in the solving process of this problem.

I think that ISU is examining all the possibility to solve the problem this time which wasn't expected, such as the idea that other Federation hosts the Worlds instead of Japan, the idea to hold in Japan by shifting a time, the idea to cancel 2011Worlds at all.
Then, I think that ISU decides the best plan from the inside of a lot of alternative.

Agree. Some criticisms cited in the forum seem to be based on circumstantial evidences or prejudice. Few of us know the exact number and nature of issues to be taken into account / parties to be consulted / agreements to be reached / concerns to be addressed. No one seems to know how much money is involved and what eventual consequences of money lost are. It sometimes takes guts to take time and consider all matters carefully than jumping to a conclusion. We just have to wait and see.

I agree skaters and their interests should be at the heart of the organisations such as ISU and JSF, but also there is a possibility their longer term interests may be better protected by protecting the immediate interests of other parties too, such as broadcasters and sponsors. If that is the case, such act should not be dismissed by simply calling it 'profit making'.

It would be good though, once all settled, we are to be informed in detail how the decision is finally made. Transparency is the key to trust. And what is becoming apparent now is a breakdown of trust between fans and organisations such as ISU and JSF.

tangerine_dream
03-20-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm afraid such selfish skaters would be punished by the iron fist of the ISU, and their federations will do the same if the spots were reduced. This is a really unusual situation. They must cooperate if they want to save their careers.

Selfish skaters? Skaters shell out thousands of dollars per year to train and be ready to peak at a certain time of year. They can't physically be ready to peak at Worlds when they were already training to peak in March. It's not selfish, it's preservation of their tools which they need to perform their job- that tool would be their bodies. I don't know how you could possibly get off saying an athlete is "selfish" for wanting to preserve their body.

Worlds doesn't make sense in October. If they're going to do that, they should simply skip Worlds altogether.

As for the "they must cooperate to save their careers"- actually no, they can simply withdraw. The ISU isn't the "boss" and the skater isn't the "employee"...the ISU needs skaters more than skaters need the ISU, and if no one shows up, the only person whose career it will "ruin" is Speedy.

As for holding it in Japan in the next few months....honestly until the nuclear situation is resolved the extent of the radiation contamination truly out in the open, I wouldn't consider Japan for a world event like this- it's too risky.

Akira Andrea
03-20-2011, 12:09 AM
IMO, for skaters, coaches nothing at all is much better than autumn.
That is just issue which ISU should discuss from now on.

Iceman
03-20-2011, 12:53 AM
Skaters try to peak at the time worlds is held, but I suspect the number who do is small.
Peaking is hard to control and overrated imo. An elite athlete is ready to compete when called on to compete. What a mess sports would be in if athletes in other sports took this attitude. And I don't buy that a skater can't manage more than two competitive programs in a season. There was a time when the grande prix required skaters to compete two long programs.

FigureSpins
03-20-2011, 12:59 AM
There's an online petition regarding this issue here: http://www.change.org/petitions/reschedule-world-figure-skating-championships-for-spring-2011#?opt_new=f&opt_fb=t

Over 1300 people have "signed."

pinky33
03-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Watch the news, food is now being banned because of radiation levels. Cooling is good but the damage is done. Move on!!!! Without athletes there is no ISU. The athletes needs and health should come first, without them no one makes money. If you have never paid to get an athlete to the international level you have no idea of who is actually losing out here. Athletes do train towards competition, this is true in any sport. Peak or not there is a plan, if you evertrained to compete at an elite level you would understand this. The althletes need to be considered.

Akira Andrea
03-20-2011, 02:45 AM
As for holding it in Japan in the next few months....honestly until the nuclear situation is resolved the extent of the radiation contamination truly out in the open, I wouldn't consider Japan for a world event like this- it's too risky.
I can understand your anxiety that there may be a radiation contamination still even if it supposes that the accident of the nuclear plan ended.
I also may have the same anxiety as you, if there has been a nuclear accident in any other country where I do not know well the situation.

However, I who can know the present situation of Japan well is more optimistic about the future after that this nuclear accident ended.
Even if the influence is slight, the situation of the radiation contamination is always opened to public so far.

Wherever in Japan we are, we can know the risk level because the detecting level of atmospheric radiological monitor in there is being opened to public.
At least, in the Tokyo Metropolitan Area, any kind of dangerous level has never been detected so far, after the earthquake.
As for the vegetables in the disaster-stricken area ward and so on, the check of the radiation contamination is already done, the shipment will be prohibited if the level which exceeds regulation value has been detected.
We know empirically that these regulations which depend on the government, the local government and the farmers is done strictly considerably in Japan.

There may not be an effect to erase your anxiety even if I explain with any way, but if taking notice of the report from Japan from now on, I think that your anxiety becomes extinct quite early.

Akira Andrea
03-21-2011, 02:26 PM
This is an article in “Jiji Press” in Japan.
Translated from Japanese.
ISU Gave up the plan to hold the Worlds in Japan and intends to consider the venue etc instead of Japan.
March 21st, 2011 JST

By Jiji Press at Rondon
In March 21st, International Skating Union (ISU) announced that they gave up the plan to hold it in Japan postponing the Worlds. In this day at original plan, it was scheduled to be opened in the Yoyogi National Gymnasium in Tokyo, but was canceled under the influence of the East Japan big earthquake.
On the official site, ISU says, "We had been searching the way to hold in Japan, but accepted it because we received the information from Japan Skating Federation to have no choice but to ask to be excused from it".
As for the substitute venue, there are plural proposals, but, as for the decision of the time and the venue, it seems to take time somewhat.
Being requested to examine from ISU the possibility to hold in Japan postponing the Worlds, JSF was examining holding in this autumn.
According to ISU, as for the International Team Trophy which was scheduled to hold in Yokohama Arena in the middle of April, it got to hold in Japan in April in next year one year after.

The article
ISU Gave up the plan to hold the Worlds in Japan and intends to consider the venue etc instead of Japan.
http://www.jiji.com/jc/eqa?g=eqa&k=2011032100383

Asli
03-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Thank you, Akira Andrea. I feel for the Japanese federation and all the people who worked hard to organize the Worlds. As for the skaters, hopefully wherever the Worlds are held, the crowd will make them feel at home. :cheer:

I hope you are right in your optimism about Japan's recovery from the disasters. :)

marbri
03-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Skaters try to peak at the time worlds is held, but I suspect the number who do is small.
Peaking is hard to control and overrated imo. An elite athlete is ready to compete when called on to compete. What a mess sports would be in if athletes in other sports took this attitude. And I don't buy that a skater can't manage more than two competitive programs in a season. There was a time when the grande prix required skaters to compete two long programs.

And why was it stopped? ;)

Frau Muller
03-21-2011, 02:36 PM
....The article
http://www.jiji.com/jc/eqa?g=eqa&k=2011032100383

Good. Finally. Like everyone else, I look forward to a time in future years when we may once again be enjoying a Worlds in Japan!

I am curious if even the Fall 2011 NHK Trophy (in Nagano, I think) may be in jeopardy?

Akira Andrea
03-21-2011, 11:15 PM
I am curious if even the Fall 2011 NHK Trophy (in Nagano, I think) may be in jeopardy?
JSF gave up the hosting of the Worlds in autumn, but it doesn't necessarily follow that Japan in autumn is in danger.
I think that one of the reasons that JSF gave up the hosting of the World in autumn is not because they thought that the hosting in autumn in Japan may put it in danger, but because they thought that even any kind of explanation cannot sweep the anxiety of the people before the safe declaration by the country as for the nuclear plants accident.
I think that we should not be too anxious as for the future because we are too conscious to the present situation.
We can get the sufficient time to consider carefully about the NHK Trophy in autumn even after the safe declaration by the country as for nuclear plants accident has declared.
To jump to conclusion even as for NHK Trophy in autumn may be as if a burnt child dreads the fire.

allezfred
03-21-2011, 11:27 PM

2011 NHK Trophy is in Sapporo. I am here now. There is absolutely nothing to prevent it being held here. If you're trying to cause panic, as one skating fed CEO said to another, "Nice try". :rolleyes:

Vash01
03-21-2011, 11:28 PM
AkiraAndrea,

Thank you for your informative and well written posts. Please keep updating us on what is really happening in Japan. Best wishes to you and Japan.

Mevrouw
03-21-2011, 11:56 PM
allezfred: I gather that Mr. allezfred's family are all safe? I haven't seen any comment about them but I guess you would have said something. Certainly Sapporo is quite far away from Sendai and even farther from Fukushima, with the winds going mostly in the opposite direction. So things should stay safe there. Enjoy the trip, even if there are no Worlds to attend.