PDA

View Full Version : As for the Worlds, JSF started to coordinate so as to hold in Japan in this autumn.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Susan M
03-18-2011, 01:31 AM
The whole situation in Japan is so sad, so concerning and in the middle of a national disaster there are apparently a bunch of TV execs who are thinking of nothing but $$$ and if they can't hold it in the autumn well, those are the breaks for everyone else.

Can anyone explain why the Japanese TV people would not make as much money from having Worlds to broadcast in, say, May or June as they would in October? Is it that more people would watch on TV when the event is held in Japan?

Akira Andrea
03-18-2011, 01:44 AM
As far as I'm concerned the Japanese Skating Fed can stuff it. It's their own fault if they failed to properly insure their event and it is not right to ask the ISU, other federations, and certainly not the skaters to carry that burden for them. The whole notion of putting off Worlds until fall is ridiculous.

Like everyone, my initial feelings were to be sorry for everyone in Japan for the natural disaster, but it is just wrong at this point for the JSF to continue blocking the rest of the world from making alternate arrangements to hold a World Championship that reasonably reflects a climax to this skating season.

IMO their stalling and offering ridiculous suggestions like Worlds in October should be beneath their dignity. It is an insult to every other federation and all the world's skaters.
I think that JSF has never blocked the rest of the world from making alternate arrangements to hold a Worlds.
JSF only attempts to propose the time when it is possible that Japan hosts it.
I think that it is the best solution if an any other country shoulders kindly the Worlds of this season.
I think that the holding of September or October may be the proposal which is better than nothing at all.

Asli
03-18-2011, 01:46 AM
Can anyone explain why the Japanese TV people would not make as much money from having Worlds to broadcast in, say, May or June as they would in October? Is it that more people would watch on TV when the event is held in Japan?

One factor is the time difference for the live broadcast. More people watch TV at 9pm than at 2am.

Plus the fact that the Worlds are in your own country always increases interest in the event, there will be more newspaper articles and TV interviews with skaters. The crowd is on the home skaters' side, which also looks good on the broadcast.

Otherwise, I don't know anything about sponsorship deals.

Susan M
03-18-2011, 02:17 AM
I think that JSF has never blocked the rest of the world from making alternate arrangements to hold a Worlds.

Actually, at the moment, they are. The ISU will apparently not move forward with alternative locations until the JSF give the OK.

Sasha'sSpins
03-18-2011, 04:08 AM
I'm afraid such selfish skaters would be punished by the iron fist of the ISU, and their federations will do the same if the spots were reduced. This is a really unusual situation. They must cooperate if they want to save their careers.

I fear the same.I don't however think the skaters are selfish one bit. But I wouldn't put it past Speedy to try and punish no-shows in some way.

Holding Worlds in October is just bizaare.

Akira Andrea
03-18-2011, 05:50 AM
I think that it is very strange because many persons in this thread seem to think as if JSF's proposal that they intend to iron out so as to be able to host the Worlds in September or in the beginning of October is a plot owing to the business policy of TV company or the sponsor.

I can believe that this JSF's proposal is a well-intentioned one because the unselfish well-intentioned proposal is not rare in the society of Japan at least.

Because Russia Skating Federation had proposed to host the Worlds recently, it is obvious that JSF has never blocked any other country which is kind enough to shoulder the Worlds in stead of Japan.

To have the lead-time of 5 months after a safe declaration by the country has been declared, JSF has no alternative except in September or in October.

I think that JSF proposed one alternative, therefore, ISU can select the best proposal in plural alternatives.

bek
03-18-2011, 06:01 AM
I think that it is very strange because many persons in this thread seem to think as if JSF's proposal that they intend to iron out so as to be able to host the Worlds in September or in the beginning of October is a plot owing to the business policy of TV company or the sponsor.

I can believe that this JSF's proposal is a well-intentioned one because the unselfish well-intentioned proposal is not rare in the society of Japan at least.

Because Russia Skating Federation had proposed to host the Worlds recently, it is obvious that JSF has never blocked any other country which is kind enough to shoulder the Worlds in stead of Japan.

I think there's a lot of speculation on this thread. And sure I've speculated too. But I think none of us are there and privy to the conversation. There are some reports that Speedy approached the Japanese Federation about this one.

I decided not to sign said petition because while I think Worlds should be moved, if the Japanese fed IS fighting for worlds they may have their reasons, and I don't want to kick them when they are down in such an obvious way.

It is very possible this is all Speedy, and lets remember that. In the end, I don't care what politics are being played. Its high time that everyone grows up and starts putting the skating and the sport first.

genevieve
03-18-2011, 06:14 AM
As far as I'm concerned the Japanese Skating Fed can stuff it. It's their own fault if they failed to properly insure their event and it is not right to ask the ISU, other federations, and certainly not the skaters to carry that burden for them. The whole notion of putting off Worlds until fall is ridiculous.

Like everyone, my initial feelings were to be sorry for everyone in Japan for the natural disaster, but it is just wrong at this point for the JSF to continue blocking the rest of the world from making alternate arrangements to hold a World Championship that reasonably reflects a climax to this skating season.

IMO their stalling and offering ridiculous suggestions like Worlds in October should be beneath their dignity. It is an insult to every other federation and all the world's skaters.
this might be the single most :rolleyes: post I've read in all these zillion threads about Worlds.

Thank you Akira Andrea for translating!

Celine82
03-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Willowway, while I can see where you are coming from, I think burning bridges with JSF and NHK could be an absolute disaster for our sport in the long run.
I just want to say that, as far as I know, the TV broadcaster in this case isn't NHK, but Fuji or Asahi TV (I think one was set for Worlds and the other for the WTT, right?).

They do have 3 major broadcasters for figure skating in Japan, as far as I'm aware. Would a Japanese please correct me if I'm wrong?

sandra_persch
03-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Holding Worlds in the fall is total nonsense! can't they just cancel for good and be done with it! how do they expect skaters to be on top of their game if they are kept in limbo right now :rolleyes:

skateboy
03-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Wolding Worlds in the fall is total nonsense! can't they just cancel for good and be done with it! how do they expect skaters to be on top of their game if they are kept in limbo right now :rolleyes:

OMG!!! Elite skaters might be expected to be at the top of their game in October!! No, it can't be. Why live?????

No offense, Sandra Persch, I promise.

But c'mon, this is an extreme circumstance--FS will deal with it!

Asli
03-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Actually, at the moment, they are. The ISU will apparently not move forward with alternative locations until the JSF give the OK.

Cinquanta does mention a deadline. In the Gazzetta dello Sport he says that the ISU Council will make a decision by Monday or by Tuesday morning at the latest. That means they are expecting the JSF's written position today. Maybe they have already received it.

Only a week has passed since the earthquake. After years of preparation and investment, the JSF has the right to consult its partners and weigh its options for a few days. This doesn't prevent the ISU from evluating other candidates in the meantime.

sandra_persch
03-18-2011, 09:31 AM
OMG!!! Elite skaters might be expected to be at the top of their game in October!! No, it can't be. Why live?????

No offense, Sandra Persch, I promise.

But c'mon, this is an extreme circumstance--FS will deal with it!

Sure why hold worls right before the SGP series :rolleyes: so based on the results of october they decide who competes at which SGP 2 week later ... yeah that make a lot of sense ... NOT :P

Frau Muller
03-18-2011, 10:06 AM
This is an article in “Daily Sports” in Japan.
Translated from Japanese.
As for the 2011 Worlds, JSF started to coordinate so as to hold in Japan in this autumn.
March 16th, 2011 JST

This was two days ago before the serious ISU consideration of Moscow-in-April/May and other offers came out yesterday. Old news and from a Japanese publication.

loulou
03-18-2011, 10:20 AM
I think that JSF never thinks unpleasantly about it, if any other country, for example Russia, Korea, Canada, USA, etc is kind enough to shoulder Japanese debt, the Worlds of this season.
Rather, JSF thanks that country very much and will accept that.

I'm not sure I understand what's going on, and I'll be grateful if you can explain to me again.

I'm taking that JSF isn't willing to give up to the 2011 world championships because that would be financially harmful for them, unless another federation offers to: not only pay for worlds in their country, but also cover the debt that JSF would be having if they didn't host the championships.

Is that correct?