PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Top 12 (March 16th and 17th)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19

moebius
03-18-2011, 03:27 AM
Lee proved once again why he is the lowest-selling Idol to date. I'm still going Why? Why? Why? a year later. Who voted for this guy? Mediocre voice, blah personality, & not much to look at.

I guess all of his fans he gained during the show ditched him when he won.

taf2002
03-18-2011, 05:08 AM
To tell you the truth, I totally forgot who he was. Did I somehow miss last year? I find I'm blanking on who was on the show.

Not too disappointed with the results tonight. Still haven't picked a favourite yet.

I shouldn't complain because I didn't vote. But if I had I would have either gone with the best voice-Crystal Bowersox or the body/face-Casey James. Even Big Mike would have been an improvement over Lee. Lee should have come in about 9th or 10th.

merrywidow
03-18-2011, 05:19 PM
He sounded like a lowing cow, IMO.

Allskate
03-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Lee proved once again why he is the lowest-selling Idol to date. I'm still going Why? Why? Why? a year later.

I'm trying to figure out why they chose that song as a single. It's boring and going to go nowhere.

I hope they have Crystal on to perform. When was the last time a runner-up was not invited back?

Theme weeks are back. Motown next week. I wonder what Scotty will do? Has there been a country cover of a Motown song?

Jennifer Hudson is performing next on next week's results show, which is nice. And Sugarland is performing, too. I think I prefer the Blackeyed Peas. :lol: I can't stand that last Sugarland single.

BigB08822
03-18-2011, 05:27 PM
I thought they were avoiding themes which keep people in specific genres. I thought they were going to stick to stuff like "80's" or "Billboard Hits" or things which encompass genres of all kinds. I guess there is nothing stopping someone changing a Motown song to a country version but it isn't going to be easy and it is certainly a disadvantage.

haribobo
03-18-2011, 05:37 PM
I guess there is nothing stopping someone changing a Motown song to a country version but it isn't going to be easy and it is certainly a disadvantage.

Or it could be the best/most interesting thing he's ever done. We'll see. I'm excited for a theme week. Some of these people can't choose a good song to save their lives and have to practically be forced into picking a good song. It can't get much worse than this week, anyway.

Allskate
03-18-2011, 05:38 PM
This might turn out to be a good thing for Scotty. He's been singing only country recently and he's largely appealing to country fans. That's fine for now, but it would help him stay on the show longer if he branched out, and this could be a good time to do that.

He has sung other than country before this show. In fact, he said in an interview that he sang a couple of non-country songs in his auditions. He's also in his school choir, which probably does not sing country songs.

He also mentioned that he was a big Elvis fan. Elvis did some Motown songs, right? Didn't he do Unchained Melody? We'll see. Aside from Scotty, I don't see Motown being a huge challenge for the contestants as long as they've cleared a lot of songs. Hopefully it will encourage some less boring song choices. I really liked season 8's Motown night. I still remember Allison's and Adam's performances.

skatesindreams
03-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Have the Idol winners with the most successful musical careers thereafter, had their base in the "Country" genre? (I'm thinking Clarkson/Underwood.)

BigB08822
03-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Underwood for sure. Clarkson has been on the country charts twice (is actually at #1 right now!) but only as a guest on duets. She has not ventured into solo territory except when her lead single from Idol, A Moment Like This, got some play on the country chart. However, plenty of other artists from Idol have done well on country, people you may have forgotten about. Bucky Covington and Josh Gracin come to mind right away.

PeterG
03-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Theme weeks are back. Motown next week.

I hope everybody makes the song their own, updating it to fit them (while being respectful to the original). I like how Pat made this one her own:

Pat Benatar - Seven Rooms Of Gloom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hZI_e2lPdk)

Do you like the hair? :D

I wonder what Scotty will do? Has there been a country cover of a Motown song?

Scotty could make any Smokey Robinson song into a country song. Good songs work in most (if not all) genres. I remember seeing Annie Lennox play some of the Eurythmics rockier songs on MuchMusic acoustically with only a guitar accompanying her...and they were amazing! :respec:

Aceon6
03-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Scotty won't have ANY problem choosing a song. Berry Gordy was a big supporter of country music and there were country divisions within Motown Records the whole time he was in charge. TG Sheppard was a Motown artist!

Allskate
03-18-2011, 08:08 PM
I remember seeing Annie Lennox play some of the Eurythmics rockier songs on MuchMusic acoustically with only a guitar accompanying her...and they were amazing! :respec:

Have you ever heard her version of A Whiter Shade of Pale? Beautiful. Love her.

Aceon, thank for the info on Motown's country labels. I didn't know about that. Assuming those songs are cleared, that would make things easier for Scotty. But, I'm really kind of hoping he branches out. All of his performances have kind of blended together in my mind.

I think that the country contestants who haven't made the finale generally have had much better success with recording careers than other contestants. So, I get why Scotty has targeted that audience now, but I still think he would benefit in the competition from doing a couple of non-country songs. It's not like it would prevent him from getting a country recording contract. Casey James and even Danny Gokey were able to get country recording contracts.

algonquin
03-18-2011, 10:06 PM
I hope everybody makes the song their own, updating it to fit them (while being respectful to the original). I like how Pat made this one her own:

Pat Benatar - Seven Rooms Of Gloom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hZI_e2lPdk)

Do you like the hair? :DWhat year was that?

PRlady
03-19-2011, 01:29 AM
Scotty could sing the Mervin part of any Temptations song. ;)

Seriously, country to Motown isn't as hard a transition, there are story songs, easy melodies and so on. Diana Ross had a range of about six notes, it's safe to sing any of her songs.

taf2002
03-19-2011, 01:34 AM
The problem with doing Motown is that some of those songs are sacred & the contestants are bound to fcuk them up. Sacriledge!