PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Top 12 (March 16th and 17th)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19

haribobo
03-17-2011, 02:42 AM
Tonight was mostly pretty excruciating. There's really a few people here that never shoulda made the top 13. But America did it, pretty much. And the judges. At least it broke up the monotony of thinking about Worlds being postponed...

My rankings:

1. Lauren :cheer: :cheer2: :kickass:
2. Casey :respec: :cheer: :kickass:
3. Haley :rofl:
4. Scotty, Stefano, James :blah:
7. Pia, Jacob :blah:
9. Paul, Karen, Thia, Naima :yikes:

Yea, that pretty much says it. I'm too tired to expand.

taf2002
03-17-2011, 02:51 AM
Some random thoughts:

Naima - What's Love Got To Do With It -gorgeous eyes, not her best tonight, I wanted her to do something fun, that wasn't. Apparently she really likes yellow

Paul - I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues - scratchy vocals not his fault but that dancing! St Vitus dance.

Thia - Colors of the Wind - her dress was as boring as her song & it was see thru, she needed a slip

James - I'll Be There For You - did it sound to anyone else like he was singing in the wrong key? He seemed to be singing too low, not bad though

Haley - I'm Your Baby Tonight - one thing I like about her is her sangfroid. A lot of people would have gotten bent out of shape about the lipstick but she just took it in stride. The song was just ok

Stephano - If You Don't Know Me By Now - best so far

Pia - Where The Broken Hearts Go - the white jumpsuit made her look pregnant & her hips look huge plus I'm getting bored with her, this may not have been a ballad but she sang it like one, vocal wasn't bad though

Scotty - Can I Trust You With My Heart - to me it wasn't as good as usual & I thought he was goofier than usual

Karen - Love Will Lead You Back - omg where do I start? she had this huge poof on her head, obviously a wig but not the same color as her hair, it looked ridiculous. Hated the song too...she has a good voice, I don't know why I don't like her singing

Casey - Smells Like Teen Spirit - I'm not crazy about the song for him but there's no denying his performance quality...he needs to shave & trim down his hair so his head won't look so big. He looked like a bobblehead doll.

Lauren - I'm The Only One - I didn't understand the judges praise...if she's sick you can't fault her but then why gush over that performance? She was straining for every note...it wasn't good. And did you catch her talking about something she did as a kid & how cute she was? Humble she's not. And of course, she may not really be sick...she's so fake who knows?

Jacob - Alone - bad song choice, why he didn't get Randy's pitchy comments I don't know. He has a cool mom though.

shan
03-17-2011, 03:02 AM
I just don't get the Jacob love from the judges last week or this week. Parts of Alone had me cringing...

Rob
03-17-2011, 04:35 AM
Worst Naima, Paul, and Haley or Karen
Both Haley and Karen were decent

Best Stefano, James, Casey (though it got a little grindy at the end) I probably like James best cuz I am a rock girl.

Goods:
Pia- she can sing, but I don't think she can move
Thia - sweet and age appropriate.
Lauren - not great but this is the first time I saw something in her.
Scotty - might be top 3 if I liked country. Great voice, really likeable guy
I still like Jacob - I liked it better with my eyes shut. His moves were too spastic. But not as spastic as Paul. I can barely watch Paul. He needs to stand still. And I know girls love to wear their boyfriends' jeans, but guys should not wear their girlfriends' jeans. Those were painted on. Worse than Train guy's jeans.

Steven Tyler just kills me. So funny. "I have sandwiches under my bed older than you" was my fave.

moebius
03-17-2011, 04:57 AM
Blah! Most of them were pitchy tonight. Not a good week. Scott was the best of them all. Casey's rendition was um... interesting?, but stood out from the rest.

Highlight of the evening was seeing Matt Bellamy from Muse in the audience with his trashy girlfriend Kate Hudson. No mention of Matt in the audience, just Kate. I would think since this is a singing competition the mention of a Matt in the audience would be relevant and Muse is a well known band, not an obscure one. Although Randy did mention Muse along with Radiohead, and Lykke Li during Casey's critique.

Kasey
03-17-2011, 04:59 AM
This whole show was disturbing. Everyone moved and looked freaky. Naima was like Tina Turner on a bender. Paul sounds like a rodent in a blender and ambles around stage like someone in tetany who's been wandering the desert without water for a week. James butchered Bon Jovi, and thus must die. Stephano's closed eyes is becoming like the lip licking of Lizard boy (Archuleta) for me. Karen looks like Judy Jetson as a street walker. Casey is a disturbing combination of a hamster trying to be Grizzly Adams doing Kurt Cobain. And Jacob sounds like he's on goat patrol.

I'm glad I watched Survivor live instead....

PeterG
03-17-2011, 05:15 AM
Best of the night? Rodney Jerkins.

I couldn't believe the amazing updates of Tina Turner and Whitney Houston. Best remakes Idol has ever seen! :respec:

Worst of the night? Stefano Langone. First, he spits on artists who have done more in their careers than he probably ever will. (And yes, that includes Milli Vanilli.) Then he over-sings his song to such a great extent that backstage, Jacob Lusk was saying, "girl, you gotta pull it back some!!" How many monsters out there has Christina Aguilera created??? :eek:

BigB08822
03-17-2011, 02:51 PM
I didn't take Stefano's remarks about the other artists as digs at them personally or career wise. I took it as a funny joke about which songs would obviously never go over well being performed on the Idol stage. What would you say to someone who chose to perform the songs he mentioned? We would all be doom and gloom about the song choices. There would be that sliver of hope he could somehow make it current and new but we would all be laughing at him before he even began singing.

WindSpirit
03-17-2011, 03:06 PM
I just watched it. What a mess. Most people were pitchy (™Randy) or plain old boring. Or both.

Naima - A pitchy mess. The arrangement of the song was horrible. Also, don't dance.

Paul - BORING and his voice sucks. He's no Elton John, Billy Joel or even Joe Cocker. At least he toned down the atrocious "dancing" moves.

Thia - BORING. She's stunningly beautiful and has an amazing voice. That was not, though.

James - He had a doll when he was a boy. Hehehe. And he got his laugh from his mom. His performance was not bad, but still a little boring. Or maybe that song was.

Haley - I like her voice but she made this song unrecognizable. Not in a good way, either. I only realized it was a Whitney Houston's song when they mentioned it. She needs to pick her songs right.

Stefano - Not bad, but nothing special.

Pia - Loved that video of her belting out Whitney when she was little. :rofl: Very good voice, but only Whitney could sing her songs with conviction to sell some of them. The pajama-jumpsuit and the infantile hearts behind her didn't help. Boring and uninspired.

Scotty - I don't like country (with few exceptions) but that was the first performance that sounded credible to me last night. Plus he's cute (and I just realized he could be my son... :rofl: :eek: :scream:) Wasn't pitchy, wasn't boring. Good voice and cute. Winner of the night so far.

Karen - Boring and pageantry. And a little pitchy, too.

Casey - His parents are a hoot! His mother doesn't look her age at all. Nirvana the serial killer style. I liked it, even though it did get a little crazy. :lol: He clearly is very talented. And he's not one iota boring. Musically, personally. Btw, he looked like Clay when he was a kid and now he looks like a chubby-faced Yags with a beard. Obviously not a bad combination.

Jacob (oops, forgot about him) - He completely surprised me a few weeks ago with his rendition of "A House Is Not a Home" (I had found him annoying before that) Almost made me cry. Maybe it was a fluke, because even though dude has a great voice the way he uses it, overdoing the vibrato and singing in the wrong key for him most of the time -- meh. In some way he reminds me of George Huff a little bit, though, and I loved George.

Lauren - Boring and at times very pitchy. And then boring some more.

Only Scotty and Casey stood out for me last night.

taf2002
03-17-2011, 05:14 PM
I just watched it. What a mess. Most people were pitchy (™Randy) or plain old boring. Or both.

Naima - A pitchy mess. The arrangement of the song was horrible. Also, don't dance.

Naima is a professional dancer & has taught dance...I say, dance on please.

Scotty - I don't like country (with few exceptions) but that was the first performance that sounded credible to me last night. Plus he's cute (and I just realized he could be my son... :rofl: :eek: :scream:) Wasn't pitchy, wasn't boring. Good voice and cute. Winner of the night so far.

Cute? I guess you thought George W & Alfred E Newman were cute. Different strokes.
Karen - Boring and pageantry. And a little pitchy, too.

Casey - His parents are a hoot! His mother doesn't look her age at all. Nirvana the serial killer style. I liked it, even though it did get a little crazy. :lol: He clearly is very talented. And he's not one iota boring. Musically, personally. Btw, he looked like Clay when he was a kid and now he looks like a chubby-faced Yags with a beard. Obviously not a bad combination.

Jacob (oops, forgot about him) - He completely surprised me a few weeks ago with his rendition of "A House Is Not a Home" (I had found him annoying before that) Almost made me cry. Maybe it was a fluke, because even though dude has a great voice the way he uses it, overdoing the vibrato and singing in the wrong key for him most of the time -- meh. In some way he reminds me of George Huff a little bit, though, and I loved George.

Lauren - Boring and at times very pitchy. And then boring some more.

Agree & agree & agree & agree.

Only Scotty and Casey stood out for me last night.

I don't know that anyone really stood out for me last night.

ETA: James needs to learn to censor what he says.

Aceon6
03-17-2011, 05:42 PM
I was disappointed last night. Songs of your birth year with such a young cast pushes most of the songs into a time period that I didn't follow that much. The few songs I do know have been done to death and weren't enhanced much by the Idols to be. I did like Stefano and Pia. The rest had singing and/or performance problems that I couldn't get past. I really wanted to like Casey's performance, but...

WindSpirit
03-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Naima is a professional dancer & has taught dance... She is? :wideeyes: When she was trying to "dance" during her Umbrella performance last week I genuinely felt sorry for her. That was beyond terrible.

Cute? I guess you thought George W & Alfred E Newman were cute. Different strokes. I do have somewhat peculiar taste in men, but I don't think you'd need one to find Scott attractive. Even though not classically handsome (and this is exactly what I like in men :lol: ) aka boring, he's young, talented and carries himself in a rather mature manner. That low voice doesn't hurt him, either.

Btw, please don't use the red color (or colors in general). The quote feature works just fine.

chantilly
03-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Last night show was a big disappointment.
There were a few good performances but considering the fact that these are all very good singers(for once) it was shockingly bad. I forgive the fact that some are messing up live because it's not easy and before you try and refute that; there have been many live performances by hit music people that have been atrocious and off key. Alicia Keys has an amazing voice but she was terrible when she performed on Idol for an example.

And I think it's bad omen when I spend most of the night agreeing with Randy:rolleyes:

I have never in all the seasons I've watched Idol disagreed with the judges more. It's like they are hearing it WAY different than I am. I miss Simon.

I initially loved the idea of these guys working with producers. But so far it hasn't been paying off. The arrangements have been terrible, A LOT.

You can't have someone do a dance mix of a song standing on stage by them self. It just doesn't work. It's as voidy as some skating programs:lol:

Anyway. I have a few favorites but if it doesn't start getting better soon, I'm not sure I will continue watching.

skatesindreams
03-17-2011, 08:23 PM
I initially loved the idea of these guys working with producers. But so far it hasn't been paying off. The arrangements have been terrible

I don't think that the contestants are receiving as much high quality vocal coaching as in seasons past, either,

Allskate
03-17-2011, 08:57 PM
I initially loved the idea of these guys working with producers. But so far it hasn't been paying off. The arrangements have been terrible, A LOT.

I read an article about what the music producers have to do. They each have to do two songs each week. But, they have less than three days to do both of the songs. They are spending far less time recording vocals than they normally do and are operating little sleep rushing to get things done. It's not a recipe for high quality results. Plus, there are additional limits posed by the quality of the material and the talent of the contestants.