PDA

View Full Version : Strange phone message I received. Would you call back?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

millyskate
03-16-2011, 09:45 PM
So I'm a night owl and started calling him from 2AM-4AM around 10 times and hour. He told me to stop calling him. I told him, since he was calling my cell phone, I had every right to call him to ask him questions at a time that was convenant to me. Needless to say, I don't get calls from him any more. I also pointed out the federal and state laws..

:rofl: :respec:

Vagabond
03-16-2011, 10:18 PM
When you call back, it's like agreeing to talk to them.

Not true. And even if it were, BaileyCatts could stop them from calling her again by simply asking them to desist.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt107.shtm

By purchasing something from the company, you established a business relationship with the company. As a result, even if you put your number on the National Do Not Call Registry, that company may call you for up to 18 months after your last purchase or delivery from it, or your last payment to it, unless you ask the company not to call again. In that case, the company must honor your request not to call. If they subsequently call you again, they may be subject to a fine of up to $16,000 .

An established business relationship with a company also will be created if you make an inquiry to the company, or submit an application to it. This kind of established business relationship exists for three months after the inquiry or application. During this time, the company can call you.

If you make a specific request to that company not to call you, however, then the company may not call you, even if you have an established business relationship with that company. You should keep a record of the date you make the request....

Even if you do not register with the National Do Not Call Registry, you can still prohibit individual telemarketers from calling by asking them to put you on their company’s do not call list.

immoimeme
03-17-2011, 12:25 AM
http://800notes.com/

put the phone number in here and see if anyone else has gotten calls and what they say about them. I use this site all the time, so it's safe.

BaileyCatts
03-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Thanks for all the viewpoints. I was out all day today so didn't get home before 6p to try to call. But I did confirm it is the State Bank branch actual phone number for a hard building site in my area. I couldn't do *69 though because I had called into my phone to check messages, so I wiped out the last number by me calling my phone. I don't do any online banking at all (and not with this bank) so there's no way they would get any info from me. But I be so paranoid and gullible I just hate calling people without knowing exactly what they want. I really need to be a lottery winner so I can just barricade myself in my house and never have to associate with people ever again. Except for FSU of course. ;)

I'm just a total Paranoid Polly and think people are always out to scam and con me (:o) and it kinda creeped me out a little when the guy was like "Hi BaileyCatts ..." like he was my best bud. Throw in job hunting and I'm like 'but what if its an interview', and if so why didn't he say so. I did research my notes and it looks like I did apply for a job at State Bank via their corporate website ... I can see that I filled out their career profile page info and even see the job I applied for ... over six months ago which is why it didn't ring any bells.

I think I will try to call tomorrow, since I did confirm I actually did apply for a job there, and be ready to hang up if its anything other than that. And knowing all the things to watch out for makes me less gullible to fall for anything. Really, you could sell me ice in Hell and I would buy it .... its sad really. :P

MacMadame
03-17-2011, 03:35 PM
I simply can't be bothered to micromanage my life down to phone calls that might be wasting a couple of minutes of time.
And I can't be bothered to return messages of people I don't know who aren't clear about why they want me to call. In fact, I've already spent more time responding in this thread than I would have spent dealing with the phone call. :lol:

Yes, but would you be concerned about a silly thing like that?
It might give me a moment's pause. ;)