PDA

View Full Version : Strange phone message I received. Would you call back?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Jenny
03-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Agree with those who guess that it's simply a solicitation call, and no reason to panic. Either ignore it, or call the number and ask what it's about. If it's solicitation, you can just politely tell him that you already have a bank and your financial needs are met, or just hang up on him. If he tells you something that is of actual interest, then just say you are uncomfortable discussing financial matters over the phone, but you will instead go into the bank in person to discuss.

I don't see any need to go to the trouble of internet searches and calling the bank itself and coming up with scripts for what to say - the direct approach is better.

Debbie S
03-16-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm sure it's a telemarketer doing the usual thing. They either want you to open an account or refi your mortgage. Just ignore it and don't call back. Anyone calling you about a job would mention that in their message.

SharonDudd
03-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Add me to the suggestion of overedge!! Call the Branch Manager and don't let them shuffle you off to anyone else! They need to know and will be grateful to know that someone is misusing or misrepresenting their company. But do NOT under any circumstances give out any personal information at all!

Remember if it made you hesitate at all and set the hairs on the back of your neck tingling? Then something could very well be wonky! Better safe than sorry! Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

smurfy
03-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Put the phone number in google and see what you get. I have done that for collection calls for people I have never heard of, and the # always has logs of people complaining about them.

It does sound fishy, but if it is legit and for a job, the person may not want to say why they are calling. I have had legit HR folks ask me if they can leave me a detailed message and if the voicemail was private?

Google the number, and like others said, call the bank (# in phone book) and confirm.

In my experience, I have dealt with some bank personnel that have not been properly trained (not all, but some). I was the new treasurer on a board. A girl from the bank called me and asked me for my social security number. I told her that I would come in, as it was inappropriate to do over the phone with someone I never met. When I was in the bank I spoke to her supervisor and suggested some training.

mysticchic
03-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Just FYI, since fundraisers and telemarketers have to stick to a do not call list, they are now trolling FB and other sites for info. They are doing one of a few things. One is calling and hanging up. When you call back, it's like agreeing to talk to them. The other thing is that they say you signed up on a website and they now have the right to call you. The list goes on. So don't call them back.
Recently I have gotten 5 phone calls in an hour from an online school on my cell. When I called them back the guy told me I signed up for info on a school. I told him I didn't and not to call me back ever. This went on for a few days. Turned out must have been the guys real number (he was working from home). So I'm a night owl and started calling him from 2AM-4AM around 10 times and hour. He told me to stop calling him. I told him, since he was calling my cell phone, I had every right to call him to ask him questions at a time that was convenant to me. Needless to say, I don't get calls from him any more. I also pointed out the federal and state laws.
There are now some collection companies that keep calling. If you put the number into google, you can find out who they are, who they collect for and if they are above board. I've have had 2 companies who I don't owe money to, blast my cell with hang ups. When I call them they want my SS# ect. NEVER give that out. Turns out one was collecting for a gym (which I never belonged to, but these guys were doing it so you would pay them to go away).

BigB08822
03-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Why wouldn't you call back? What can happen to over the phone? Don't give out any personal information obviously, but I can't see how calling back will cause you harm.

So what if it is a scam to get your bank details? Call back, realize what it is, don't give out any information, and hang up. Then give the number to your local fraud investigation agency. No harm done to you at all.

And it might be legitimate, and then some good may come out of it.

I agree. What harm can be done in calling back? I wouldn't automatically assume the worst. Even if this is a scam, he can't get any information over the phone that you do not give him. If he begins asking questions about your banking information, SSN, etc then simply hang up or tell him you do not trust him and say goodbye.

In all likelihood he is working on some kind of commission and may be cold calling. He will just try to get you to come open an account. Or it could be that you applied there and didn't realize it. What if he got your name from someone you know that knows you need a job? What if there is an account with tons of money in your name? (ok, that's not likely, but lol)

I just don't see any harm in calling so long as you don't give him any information over the phone.

pat c
03-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Agree with those who guess that it's simply a solicitation call, and no reason to panic. Either ignore it, or call the number and ask what it's about. If it's solicitation, you can just politely tell him that you already have a bank and your financial needs are met, or just hang up on him. If he tells you something that is of actual interest, then just say you are uncomfortable discussing financial matters over the phone, but you will instead go into the bank in person to discuss.

I don't see any need to go to the trouble of internet searches and calling the bank itself and coming up with scripts for what to say - the direct approach is better.

I agree. We get these phone calls all the time. Blow them off if it's not of interest to you or they're asking for info that is inappropriate.

Debbie S
03-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Just FYI, since fundraisers and telemarketers have to stick to a do not call list, they are now trolling FB and other sites for info. They are doing one of a few things. One is calling and hanging up. When you call back, it's like agreeing to talk to them. The other thing is that they say you signed up on a website and they now have the right to call you. The list goes on. So don't call them back.Right. As soon as you call them, that gives them permission to call you as many times as they want. This is a standard trick: act like there's something wrong to get you all worried so you'll call them and fall into their trap.

If you reach the "Branch Manager" to "report" the person who called you, they'll likely be thrilled with the person, b/c they got you to return the call. And if it's a fraud situation, you'll just be giving someone else the chance to take advantage of you now that they know you're gullible.

Recently I have gotten 5 phone calls in an hour from an online school on my cell. When I called them back the guy told me I signed up for info on a school. I told him I didn't and not to call me back ever. This went on for a few days. Turned out must have been the guys real number (he was working from home). So I'm a night owl and started calling him from 2AM-4AM around 10 times and hour. He told me to stop calling him. I told him, since he was calling my cell phone, I had every right to call him to ask him questions at a time that was convenant to me. Needless to say, I don't get calls from him any more.:lol: Awesome!

What harm can be done in calling back? Well, it could mean a lot more phone calls like the one she just got. Who wants to deal with that crap, esp in the evenings? If it's a scammer, they could try even more subtle tactics, now that they know they've got a live one.

Jenny
03-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Call the Branch Manager and don't let them shuffle you off to anyone else! They need to know and will be grateful to know that someone is misusing or misrepresenting their company.

:huh:

Why are we jumping to the conclusion that someone is misrepresenting the company? This is more than likely someone doing their job, and pestering their supervisor and getting them into trouble is a complete overreaction when there is no evidence that the caller has done anything wrong.

I do agree that we all need to be cautious, but what happened to giving someone the benefit of the doubt, innocent until proven guilty and looking on the bright side?

In the grand scheme of things, this is a very minor, every day thing and certainly nothing to freak out about.

overedge
03-16-2011, 07:12 PM
:huh:

Why are we jumping to the conclusion that someone is misrepresenting the company?

We're not. That is why BC should phone the branch manager and find out.

And if it is someone working on the bank's behalf, personally I would tell the branch manager that I would never do business with a company that thinks it's OK to leave ambiguous messages on people's voicemails outside business hours.

Marlowe
03-16-2011, 07:24 PM
And if it is someone working on the bank's behalf, personally I would tell the branch manager that I would never do business with a company that thinks it's OK to leave ambiguous messages on people's voicemails outside business hours.

Ditto on that! And that really is the only reason I would call -- to find out if I need to switch banks!

milanessa
03-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Some folk's reaction to a minor every day sort of phone call is very, very sad - IMO of course.

MacMadame
03-16-2011, 07:44 PM
I agree. What harm can be done in calling back?

You've wasted your time. I like my time. I try not to waste it calling back people I don't know who've left me ambiguous messages on my cell phone.

I figure, if it's important enough, they'll call back.

milanessa
03-16-2011, 07:47 PM
You've wasted your time. I like my time. I try not to waste it calling back people I don't know who've left me ambiguous messages on my cell phone.

I figure, if it's important enough, they'll call back.

Yes, but would you be concerned about a silly thing like that?

BigB08822
03-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Well to be fair, I waste my time all day doing things that don't matter. I simply can't be bothered to micromanage my life down to phone calls that might be wasting a couple of minutes of time.