PDA

View Full Version : Interview questions and how to answer.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

FiveRinger
04-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Hi guys--I just wanted to give an update. I was offered the position last Wednesday, but won't be given a start date until my background check comes back. It seems to be taking a while, but I don't really know about these things. I was shocked at having to give a hair sample for the drug test--I had heard of them, but had never done one up until now. I am guessing that that's what is taking the most time to be returned.

Can anyone give me a guess as to how long background checks usually take? I thought that they come back fairly quickly, but I'm not sure. The other thing that I do know is that there are about 10 people that are starting at the company in the same position (being brought in from outside). I thought maybe that they would be notified of start date at the same time, so perhaps they are waiting on everyone's information to come back so that we can all be notified at the same time. Let me know if that is a possibility.

I figured if there was a problem (and I didn't expect there to be, no criminal history, no lies on the job application), that I would have heard about it already, so in a way, no news is good news. Again, tell me what you think.

Again, thanks for all of your help and support. It worked!!!!

genevieve
04-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Congrats FiveRinger!! :cheer2:

The background checks we do at my workplace are turned around very quickly...but we don't make voodoo dolls do drug testing.

it also could be that they are trying to coordinate so all 10 of you start on the same day?

Congrats again!! :)

overedge
04-05-2011, 04:58 PM
That's great news, FiveRinger!! Congratulations!!

Aceon6
04-05-2011, 05:08 PM
I thought maybe that they would be notified of start date at the same time, so perhaps they are waiting on everyone's information to come back so that we can all be notified at the same time. Let me know if that is a possibility.

Very likely, as they will need to coordinate orientation and training. If they had problems with one or more, or if someone backed out, they may be scrambling to fill the slot with one of the other candidates.

If you don't hear by Thursday, you might want to give them a call.

Debbie S
04-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Congratulations, FiveRinger!

In my experience, background checks can take a while, depending on what is being checked and how competent the 3rd party co (if they outsource the checks) is at doing them. Criminal checks can take a while, b/c police depts are sometimes slow at processing requests. Drug results usually only take a couple days. If the person doing the employment and education verification is an idiot who can't read locations or phone numbers (or give her correct number for people to call her back), that part might take longer. Hopefully, that won't happen to you.

FiveRinger
04-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the insight.....

I know that I should just sit tight, but that's hard as hell when you're working a job that you absolutely HATE and you are dreaming about the 30% increase in salary/benefits. Right now, I guess it's just an exercise in patience. I've filled out tax papers, direct deposit forms, been given/signed corporate Code of Conduct......just waiting on them to tell me when to report.

Aceon6
04-12-2011, 06:58 PM
FiveRinger... how are you holding up?