PDA

View Full Version : Universal Sports Just Announced Worlds has been Cancelled - er...maybe?

Pages : [1] 2

kedrin
03-16-2011, 03:39 AM
I just saw this announced on Universal Sports. :(

I'll see if I can find a link.

kedrin
03-16-2011, 03:46 AM
ETA:

no links on-line, yet, but I was watching skelaton, and they ran the announcement under "breaking news" about 10 minutes ago.

Jenna
03-16-2011, 03:53 AM
ETA:

no links on-line, yet, but I was watching skelaton, and they ran the announcement under "breaking news" about 10 minutes ago.

Thank you for this information. Hopefully an official press release will pop up somewhere soon.

If this is indeed true, then so be it. Is it disappointing for the skaters who have worked all season? Is it disappointing for fans including me? Yes, to both. But there are a lot more important things to worry about right now.

Rafter
03-16-2011, 03:58 AM
Not a surprise and IMO they did the right thing. I'm sad for the skaters but even sadder for the people of Japan. :(

John 3 17
03-16-2011, 03:59 AM
:wuzrobbed :( I let my hopes get raised by the announcement that the ISU was looking into other venues and that two cities had already offered... this is so sad that no one could substitute :(

-Bridget

Fallcolor
03-16-2011, 04:01 AM
Not surprised one bit :( :(
However, I do think this is a better alternative than the idea of having it in October :shuffle:

shuilee
03-16-2011, 04:08 AM
If it's really cancelled, what will USFSA do with guys like Richard Dornbush and Ross Miner? Automatic bye to 2012 worlds?!

Richard could have went to Jr Worlds and won the title as the favorite...but now he has no Sr worlds and no points to help his world rankings.

Jenna
03-16-2011, 04:11 AM
If it's really cancelled, what will USFSA do with guys like Richard Dornbush and Ross Miner? Automatic bye to 2012 worlds?!

Richard could have went to Jr Worlds and won the title as the favorite...but now he has no Sr worlds and no points to help his world rankings.

It seems as though this situation will be the hardest to rectify. Who knows if these two will qualify next year? I doubt Rippon and Abbott will bomb so badly next year. And then there's that question mark in Johnny Weir...

They should have their rightful shot at Worlds. Maybe the ISU can allow for more than three team members next year, or something else to compensate.

barbk
03-16-2011, 04:13 AM

And he could have gotten the flu or developed appendicitis.

If they've really cancelled Worlds, let's at least start with the assumption that TPTB will think through some of the issues and try reasonably to address them. It won't be perfect -- and there's no guarantee that he'll ever make another Worlds team. But could we at least give them a couple of weeks to muddle through what might be done?

Sasha'sSpins
03-16-2011, 04:13 AM
:wuzrobbed :( I let my hopes get raised by the announcement that the ISU was looking into other venues and that two cities had already offered... this is so sad that no one could substitute :(

-Bridget

My hopes were raised a little too-but it seemed unlikely in the overall scheme of things. :(

I just hope Japan and all the peoples affected by the disasters can overcome the hard days ahead. And as for the athletes may they all stay on good health, and may they all get back into top shape for Worlds when it is finally held again.

julieann
03-16-2011, 04:14 AM
It seems as though this situation will be the hardest to rectify. Who knows if these two will qualify next year? I doubt Rippon and Abbott will bomb so badly next year. And then there's that question mark in Johnny Weir...

They should have their rightful shot at Worlds. Maybe the ISU can allow for more than three team members next year, or something else to compensate.

I would say send all the ones from 2011 and send all the ones from 2012 and have more of a cut to the free skate. It would be a much bigger comp, but much more fair.

What did they do in 62?

caseyedwards
03-16-2011, 04:15 AM
I would like some special non-worlds competitons of some kind to make up for the cancellation if such a thing is possible for the skaters who will miss there chance

millipied
03-16-2011, 04:17 AM
I think it would be nice gesture if ISU made exception and allowed the 2011 qualifiers to compete along with 2012 ones.
Most of them will qualify themselves anyway. So it won't be such a big addition.

LadyNit
03-16-2011, 04:18 AM
Phil Hersh gets his wish (http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2011/03/world-figure-skating-october.html).

JJH
03-16-2011, 04:23 AM
I saw this same message scroll by on Universal Sports about 5 hours ago. I raced to the computer to see if anyone was discussing it on FSU and, since nobody was, I decided that I must have misread it. I wonder if there is any chance that Universal Sports was simply referring to the cancellation of the regular schedule of Worlds in Japan for this year. The greater viewing public might not be following this skating story as closely as FSU.