PDA

View Full Version : Mom Sues Preschool for Not Prepping 4 Yr. Old for Elite University

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

judiz
03-19-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm actually surprised that different age groups were together at all. I teach pre-k in a child care center which has children ages infant to kindergarten. Every state has regulations regarding ratios depending on the child's age.

For example, in New Jersey you have to have one adult for every 7 children at the age two level, one adult for every 10 children for the age 3 level and one adult for every 12 children for age four. And if you do put a three year old in the four year old class, the class ratio is then lowered as long as the younger child is in the class.

I don't know how it is done in other schools, but in my school we never move a child down, a three year old will never go to a two year old class

Tinami Amori
03-19-2011, 02:19 AM
On another board I frequent, someone posted an off-topic question asking what a 13-sided polygon is called.

Although she was asking on behalf of her 3-year-old.

....:lol: probably because he/she was playing with a "Suffaagette's dollar", a real coing issued by US Mint couple decades ago, which is now a collector's coin that is 3+10-sided (tri-deco-gon).

.... the kid probably asked "mommy, mommy, what kind of coin is this, it's weird...... ".

victoriajh
03-20-2011, 05:12 PM
That's disgusting! She paid $19000 for a school for her four year old, and they just let them play. Playing is for babies.

Oh! that poor little girl...

actually a play based philospphy is quite widely used in early childhoood educaiton programs- It teaches MANY things - PLAY is a child's work.....:lol:

skatesindreams
03-20-2011, 10:27 PM
It seems as though we are going "backwards" through history to the period when children were regarded; and expected to behave as, "miniature adults".
Everything we learned about Early Childhood Education during the 20th Century is being ignored.

If what nypanda describes is becoming the "norm", no wonder we have so many "confused" young people, and frantic parents!

mag
03-30-2011, 02:56 AM
victoriajh and skatesindreams - THANK YOU! Play is how young children learn. Skipping helps kids learn to read (the ability to move the eyes up and down to stay balanced while skipping helps with following lines and a book,) tying shoes - as opposed to velcro - helps with small motor skills that helps with writing, and most importantly unstructured play helps kids learn to organize themselves, solve problems, and get along with other people. Slightly OT, but having your child totally immersed in hockey from tot to teen does not, contrary to popular belief, help him become a team player. He may be a team player, but he may not, and it is not related to the hockey. Having parents organize, drive, pay, and referee does not help kids develop the ability to work well with others and solve their problems. Yes, I'm ranting, but this is a pet peeve of mine. I read this book after my eldest was born http://www.amazon.com/New-First-Three-Years-Life/dp/0684804190 and it was totally freeing. I realized that just parenting my own kids and letting them be kids was okay. That my gut instincts were okay.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled program...

nypanda
03-30-2011, 12:49 PM
If what nypanda describes is becoming the "norm", no wonder we have so many "confused" young people, and frantic parents!

Well, fwiw, the class is very well adjusted and "normal", kid-wise, and my daughter is quite confident. Now the parents.... ;)