PDA

View Full Version : Lysacek wins 2010 Sullivan Award

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

UGG
03-15-2011, 11:31 PM
No I really don't get how you could be confused that a person who won an Olympic Gold Medal was chosen as the winner for this award. It does not seem very confusing to me. And what does winter vs summer Olympics have to do with anything? Are you saying that if an Olympic gold medalist is nominated it puts other nominees at an automatic disadvantage? do you believe that the nominees for the 2002 Sullivan Award were at a disadvantage because Sarah Hughes was a nominee (and eventual winner?)

Garden Kitty
03-16-2011, 12:11 AM
The Sullivan Award not only recognizes accomplishment in amateur athletics, but a significant portion of the criteria relate to leadership, character and sportsmanship. You can read about some of his charitable activities in his bio on the AAU site. (http://image.aausports.org/email/2011/sullivan/EvanLysacekBio.pdf)

From what I know about the other finalists, they also have impressive accomplishments, and I'm sure they'd also be deserving winners. But Evan was recognized for more than just his Olympic win.

Holley Calmes
03-16-2011, 01:58 AM
Is this term used yet somewhere?:confused::D

Not since about 1964.

danceronice
03-16-2011, 02:22 AM
Haters gotta hate...(Bet no one would say a word if it weren't Evan.)

(And...no, seriously, baton twirling is a sport? I didn't know that.)

pixie cut
03-16-2011, 01:00 PM

If the award was based on number of competitive wins in 2010, Tahnee Robinson, a college basketball player unknown nationally, wouldn't have been a finalist over Maya Moore, the best women's college basketball player in the country. Evan haters, get over it. He won.

calica
03-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Photos of Evan and finalists

http://web.icenetwork.com/gen/photogallery/year_2011/month_03/day_15/cf16956300.html

ciocio
03-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Evan is the only one I know, Im glad he won!:D

Yazmeen
03-16-2011, 02:08 PM
And I'm VERY glad that Cam Newton, the Auburn football player who was nominated (and also the focus of a scandal where his father solicited another school for money to get Cam on their team) did not make the finals. Cam won the Heisman Trophy by a landslide, and while it is possible he did not know of his father's actions, that just didn't settle well with me for the Sullivan award.

Jammers
03-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Holy crap Vera Wang looks like Morticia Addams of the Addams family. Except that Carolyn Jones looked healthy as Morticia. By the way when did Sarah Hughes become hot?

TID
03-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Congratulations ,Evan! Well done!

Cheylana
03-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Holy crap Vera Wang looks like Morticia Addams of the Addams family. Except that Carolyn Jones looked healthy as Morticia.
Why is Vera there anyway? :confused:

By the way when did Sarah Hughes become hot?
Yeah, Sarah looks great! :)

Frau Muller
03-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Please do share what else he competed in and won in 2010.

He won Dancing with the Stars! Oops...he won the silver medal of DWTS. That counts, right?

Seriously, CONGRATS to Evan on winning the Sullivan Trophy!

Sarah looks great in those photos...but I'm not sure what to think about 'Bones' Wang.

danceronice
03-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Are we going to have to start a "Feed Vera Wang" fund? Really, is she sick and not letting on? It's kind of scary.

zara
03-17-2011, 05:39 AM

It certainly is, and a very difficult one at the level at which Karrissa Wimberly competes. Every bit as difficult as figure skating or gymnastics or many other sports.

danceronice
03-17-2011, 01:24 PM
It certainly is, and a very difficult one at the level at which Karrissa Wimberly competes. Every bit as difficult as figure skating or gymnastics or many other sports.

I've never heard of it competed as its own event, just something kids learn related to something else (or as a beauty-pagent talent portion skill.)

That sounds like it would be substantially more interesting to watch than some of what passes for sports on the sports channels these days. (I don't care how difficult it is, Texas Hold 'Em is NOT a sport, nor is anything else that can come loaded on a computer's Games folder.)