PDA

View Full Version : Legendary coach Frank Carroll had interesting journey to gold

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Sylvia
03-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Article published in The Desert Sun (Palm Springs, CA) newspaper today: http://www.mydesert.com/article/20110313/SPORTS/103130347/Legendary-coach-had-interesting-journey-gold?odyssey=nav|head

taf2002
03-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks Sylvia. Wonderful article!

emason
03-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Loved this article. Thanks for posting.

Yazmeen
03-13-2011, 08:37 PM
And how unlovely of our own caseyedwards to yet again have to get in the usual tiresome "no quad" digs against Evan in the comments. I'm a Frank and Evan fan, and while I love reading articles like this (thank you, Sylvia), I cringe when I see caseye listed in the commentary area. I would have thought that casey could have had to decency to leave this one alone considering the article was about a great coach and not Evan himself, but oh, no. :rolleyes:

Wonderful article about Frank, and very interesting to read some new insights about and from him. Again, thanks, Sylvia, next time I'll ignore the comments area... :scream:

PUNKPRINCESS
03-13-2011, 09:12 PM
And how unlovely of our own caseyedwards to yet again have to get in the usual tiresome "no quad" digs against Evan in the comments. I'm a Frank and Evan fan, and while I love reading articles like this (thank you, Sylvia), I cringe when I see caseye listed in the commentary area. I would have thought that casey could have had to decency to leave this one alone considering the article was about a great coach and not Evan himself, but oh, no. :rolleyes:

Wonderful article about Frank, and very interesting to read some new insights about and from him. Again, thanks, Sylvia, next time I'll ignore the comments area... :scream:LOL she's the lone commenter! :rofl:

IceJunkie
03-13-2011, 09:28 PM
I know the internet is loaded with trolls, and we see this on all skating message boards and on YouTube, but psychologically what are these posters thinking? Its as if not only every video and article they come across regarding a certain skater they have to compulsively comment on and spew negativity, but they *actively* go out and look for these videos and articles to post on. Its really weird from a psychological standpoint. I'm not sure what is going on in their heads.

But to get back on topic, Frank is truly a rock star. He deserves all of his success. :respec:

Yazmeen
03-13-2011, 09:31 PM
I do agree that you have to shake your head and laugh, but it's really not so funny. There have been a lot of Evan articles lately as we've passed the one year anniversary of his OGM and of course, SOI this year. And no joke, in almost everyone, casey is there with the usual "pathetic quadlessness" rant.

Anyway, enough of that; I'd love to get a close look at that coach of the year trophy Frank was holding, it looks beyond cool. :cool:

skatesindreams
03-13-2011, 09:39 PM
One of the most insightful articles I've read about him.
Thanks, Sylvia!

caseyedwards
03-13-2011, 10:53 PM
The no quad wasn't just against Evan but also the coaching of Carroll who said 'sure do no quads at all." If it was the 80's or even the 90's to an extent coaching a quadless guy to gold would have made little ripples and little controversy. But he coached a gold medalist in mens in 2010 and said or had no problems with no quad at all. There is just no thought from Carroll about what breaking the 3 olympic streak of mens winners with quads meant. He is just perfectly fine about it because jumps aren't everything and who cares? 1998, 2002, 2006 winners do quads and the 2010 winner doesn't. No problem at all to Carroll. Of course before the OLympics he said that judges wouldn't go for a quadless skate from a gold medal contender at the olympics but when his gold medal contender goes quadless and wins he never said that ever again and never mentioned that idea ever again! No one discusses that comment of Carrolls! So the point was as a coach he was fine with jump regression.

CynicElle
03-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Of course before the OLympics he said that judges wouldn't go for a quadless skate from a gold medal contender at the olympics but when his gold medal contender goes quadless and wins he never said that ever again and never mentioned that idea ever again!

Well, it would have been a bit daft of him to say the judges wouldn't go for a quadless skate from a gold medal contender after Evan won without a quad, wouldn't it? :lol:

Cheylana
03-13-2011, 10:57 PM
There is just no thought from Carroll about what breaking the 3 olympic streak of mens winners with quads meant.
Well, Mishin thought nothing of breaking the streak of entertaining gold medal-winning freeskates back in 2006 :shuffle:

blue_idealist
03-14-2011, 02:15 AM
Well, Mishin thought nothing of breaking the streak of entertaining gold medal-winning freeskates back in 2006 :shuffle:

Haha, yes. :cool:

Yazmeen
03-14-2011, 02:02 PM
:lol::lol::lol: Touche, Cheylana! While EP certainly deserved the win, I will always remember that program as "Roboskate." :P

kwanette
03-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Cheylana is the "poster of the day", at the least.

Wonderful article, thanks, Sylvia.

taf2002
03-14-2011, 07:15 PM
The no quad wasn't just against Evan but also the coaching of Carroll who said 'sure do no quads at all." If it was the 80's or even the 90's to an extent coaching a quadless guy to gold would have made little ripples and little controversy. But he coached a gold medalist in mens in 2010 and said or had no problems with no quad at all. There is just no thought from Carroll about what breaking the 3 olympic streak of mens winners with quads meant. He is just perfectly fine about it because jumps aren't everything and who cares? 1998, 2002, 2006 winners do quads and the 2010 winner doesn't. No problem at all to Carroll. Of course before the OLympics he said that judges wouldn't go for a quadless skate from a gold medal contender at the olympics but when his gold medal contender goes quadless and wins he never said that ever again and never mentioned that idea ever again! No one discusses that comment of Carrolls! So the point was as a coach he was fine with jump regression.

The ladies' champion in 1998 & 2002 had 7 triples and then in 2006 had 5. No one thought Shizuka had set back ladies skating (ala Kwan ;)), they just thought that most everyone had a bad competition. The next Oly the ladies were back on track.

Evan himself said he didn't think he could win without a quad but he had no choice due to the stress fracture. The fact is, the skaters with quads didn't step up...Dai fell (although I would have given him the win & certainly the silver) & Evgeny left out a combo. So what is Frank supposed to say now? "My skater didn't deserve it but no else did either so no one should have the gold?" The fact is there is no minimum requirement for the gold. You only have to skate better than the skaters who are actually there, not better than anyone has ever skated.