PDA

View Full Version : If 2011 ISU World Championships does not take place

Pages : [1] 2 3

crzesk8dad
03-13-2011, 03:02 PM
OK, a few questions for my always willing to help friends at FSU:

Should an emergency order come from the ISU allowing countries (such as the US, Japan, Russia, China) to send more skaters to next year's Worlds, than they are normally allowed?

What about those countries that normally only get to send one?

Are the 2010 World Champions still considered the World Champions?

MissIzzy
03-13-2011, 03:11 PM
I would assume all spots, both to the event and for direct entry into the competition proper, would be "held over." I don't know, though, if the 1962 championships set any precedent; does anyone know what the rules were then?

blue_idealist
03-13-2011, 07:42 PM
I hope the skaters that qualified this year will be able to skate in next year's worlds. It's kind of unfair if their qualifications are just tossed.. for example, Shawn Sawyer came 2nd at Canadians this year and made the world team. Let's say he comes 4th next year and doesn't (although I hope not, and I don't know if he will even compete next year). It seems unfair if he wouldn't get to attend a world championship after qualifying for one.

orbitz
03-13-2011, 07:46 PM
I hope the skaters that qualified this year will be able to skate in next year's worlds. It's kind of unfair if their qualifications are just tossed.. for example, Shawn Sawyer came 2nd at Canadians this year and made the world team. Let's say he comes 4th next year and doesn't (although I hope not, and I don't know if he will even compete next year). It seems unfair if he wouldn't get to attend a world championship after qualifying for one.

It would be unfortunate, but that's the roll of the dice. A skater should have to prove himself every year that he's worthy to represent his country at Worlds. If Shawn has a bad performance next year and finished off the podium then it's just too bad.

aka_gerbil
03-13-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm guessing the spots will probably be the same for next year as they were suppposed to be for this year.

If I were in charge, I would allow countries to have additional spots in the qualifying round to allow competetiors who were supposed to go this year, but did not qualify again for one of their countries spots, to get their chance to compete at world's.

Another thing I'm wondering about is if some retirements might be postponed.

victoriajh
03-13-2011, 07:49 PM

but then unfair for the skater that might place second next year? so many unfair's in all this- for the people of japan espceially - but in the sakting world for those that are planning to retire, for those who are at the top of their game right now ( alyssa for example) this waht they have trained for ( for many years for some) even now if everyone was saying OK lets go- some will still not and that changes the competiton as well- for those who have tickets and were excited to see a worlds- if it does not go ahead i cant see them getting another one for a few years ( how far ahead have the isu accounted for?)
sad sad sad- liek i said no one will win in any of this-

blue_idealist
03-13-2011, 07:51 PM
I think they should let the skaters who qualified in 2011 and 2012 go in 2012, even if it means having extra people there. The extras can just be knocked out in the qualifying round or after the SP if they're not worthy.

Zemgirl
03-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Canceling Worlds will also necessitate a different approach to GP assignments - will there be seeded skaters? If so, who? Last year's medalists? The top people on the SB list? Euros/4CC medalists? What do you do about skaters for whom Worlds was the only opportunity to get an official SB - both lower ranked skaters and people like V/T or Yu-Na? Obviously the latter will have no problem getting GP assignments, but for other skaters this was their chance to move up the rankings and get noticed.

bek
03-13-2011, 07:56 PM
What if they moved Worlds to when the GPF is scheduled to exist and perhaps moved the GPF till later? In the end if its a choice between GPF or Worlds, I'd choose worlds. Bet the skaters would too.

aka_gerbil
03-13-2011, 07:58 PM
I think they should let the skaters who qualified in 2011 and 2012 go in 2012, even if it means having extra people there. The extras can just be knocked out in the qualifying round or after the SP if they're not worthy.

This. I'd also go for adding in at least one more flight to each discipline.

blue_idealist
03-13-2011, 08:03 PM
What if they moved Worlds to when the GPF is scheduled to exist and perhaps moved the GPF till later? In the end if its a choice between GPF or Worlds, I'd choose worlds. Bet the skaters would too.

Yeah, or even cancelling the GPF if *something* has to be cancelled.

bek
03-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Yeah, or even cancelling the GPF if *something* has to be cancelled.

The problem is that cancelling GPF means whats the point of Skate America, Skate Canada, etc. And that could cause more lost revenue. I have a feeling moving GPF to another location/time especially at this point and slotting in Worlds at GPF might be easier, than moving time of Worlds. Problem is when does GPF happen because all kinds of national events.

aka_gerbil
03-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Another thing to consider about the timing of GPF and having 2011 World's instead: it's going to be a different skating season, and, so, so far away from now. The skaters aren't going to have the same programs any more, the focus will be different, next season's world's won't be that far away, it'll be coming up on various national competetions, Euros, etc.

blue_idealist
03-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Yeah, that's true about the new programs.

missing
03-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Maybe they do could a variant of what US Nationals did last year, have two disciplines one weekend and two the next.

Even if both weekends are scheduled in spring 2011, they wouldn't have to be in the same country. I'm being completely arbitrary here, but say pairs and mens are in Vancouver one weekend in April and dance and womens the following weekend (or even two weeks later) in Japan.

It's a patchwork possibility, but at least it would keep Worlds 2011 in spring 2011.